The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Time for a plan B Mel is back

Forums General Melanoma Community Time for a plan B Mel is back

Participant

I haven't posted in a while but have been checking in occasional to see how my fellow Mel peeps are doing. Mostly just living life. It looks like after 8 months on opdivo (the last 4 of those being NED) melanoma has returned. My last 2  scans showed a  tumor that has gone from  2cm to 2.9cm   on my pelvic bone. Oncologist is recommending radiation of the area and continuing the opdivo treatments. If that doesn't knock it out then going to yervoy/opdivo. What should I expect with the radiation to the bone? long term side affects? I am sure that the radiologist oncologist will go over all this but just wondering if maybe someone who had first hand experience.
      I am BRAF + but the doctor really acted like he wanted to wait and use that only if these things did knock it out. Wonder what other treatment option are out there?? 

Thanks,

Missy

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        iskitwo
        Participant

sorry didn't mean to post as Anonymous….ugh. 

Edwin
          Participant

I had radiation to melanoma in a rib for 5 consecutive days in September 2015.   I felt fatigue for the rest of each radiation day.   I felt less pain in that rib after the radiation was done.   However, the cancer spread to many more bones.   My bone cancer eventually disappeared, after Yervoy/Opdivo immunotherapy.

This is from my December 27, 2018 PET/CT scan:
            "Skeletal: No areas of abnormal uptake are seen. There is some sclerosis in the posterior right ninth rib from previous treatment of the metastatic focus."

iskitwo
              Participant

Thanks for your response. Those are great scan results. I know it might be a long road ahead but I am praying for those same great results one day!!

Edwin
                Participant

Your receiving radiation and immunotherapy together is good.   I began Keytruda immunotherapy 2 months after the radiation to my rib.   The radiation failed and Keytruda failed.   They might have worked better together.   Yervoy/Opdivo immunotherapy saved my life, but gave me very severe side effects.  I hope radiation and Opdivo immunotherapy stop your melanoma and you don’t need to proceed to Yervoy/Opdivo immunotherapy.  In March 2016 I expected to die in 2016.  I now have a stable melanoma tumor under my left jaw;  I might live several years.

Coragirl
                Participant

Missy I am so sorry to read this, but you still have options. Also low tumor burden. I think your Doctor is right to start with radiation first. Allyn didn't have any side effects that were too bothersom. When you meet with the radiation oncologist they will explain all of the things to expect. I am praying for you and your family always.

Bubbles
                  Participant

Sorry you are dealing with this.  These reports do not necessarily address side effects, but they do give hope regarding increased effectiveness when immunotherapy and radiation are combined, if you are interested:

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=radiation+and+immunotherapy 

Hang in there.  I wish you my best.  Celeste

Brian j
                    Participant

Missy  My personal experience was with a 3.4cm lesion in my sacrum discovered in April 2017, both MDA and Mayo suggested Radiation and Keytruda(at number 30 so far). My oncolologist at MDA added denosumab (Xgeva) for bone strength and to reduce chance of fractures. I had zero side effects to radiation therapy, that may have been due to the hypofractionated method used. The very next PET Scan showed dramatically reduced activity at this lesion and continued good scans since. If you decide to go with the radiation I hope you receive the same results. Best Wishes.

Summer S.
                      Participant

Targeted therapy usually works quick to reduce tumor burden, however, unlike immunotherapy it doesnot have long term effect. Few super lucky people who use it get NED, and the rest get their tumors growing back – sometimes more aggressive- when they stop it. 

Do not get me wrong, it is still a great option for reducing tumor burden and it saves some lives for years.

However, you have better chances with immunotherapy because its effect lasts longer even after you stop treatment and it recorded significantly more full recovery cases. 

And BD I have no previous experience with radio therapy

Good Luck 

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics