The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Tightness in leg after WLE and SLNB

Forums General Melanoma Community Tightness in leg after WLE and SLNB

Participant

Hello,

I recently had a WLE on lower left calf and SLNB.  The plan pre-surgery was to do a skin graft on calf.  At my pre-op consult with plastic surgeon he said there was a possibility he could close w/o skin graft.  I told him I was all for that as I know skin graft can cause problems.

Hello,

I recently had a WLE on lower left calf and SLNB.  The plan pre-surgery was to do a skin graft on calf.  At my pre-op consult with plastic surgeon he said there was a possibility he could close w/o skin graft.  I told him I was all for that as I know skin graft can cause problems.

I had surgery on 8/11 and they were able to close w/o graph.  I have a long incision on my leg (inch above ankle to two inches below knee) and it is very, very tight.  I'm sure part of this is due ot the fact I had a conservative excision done in this same are in May and they came back after melanoma diagnosis for more tissue.  Area around incision is very red and surg onc started me on keflex Friday due to redness, however incision is clean, no weeping, etc.

My question is this…..has anyone experienced this type of tightness and does it loosen up over time?  I can't put my full weight on foot yet due to tightness and it concerns me to some extent thought I know it is early.  Also, it's fairly numb but I'm assuming this is normal due to scar tissue/nerves and the fact that surgery was very recent.

Many thanks for your input.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        mcanova
        Participant

Hello Nicole,

I also had my WLE on my leg, although mine was on the side of my leg between my knee and hip.  I was told that I might have to have a skin graft, but the surgeon was ultimately able to do the WLE without the graft.  The incision was about 12 inches long and the skin was pulled extremely tight.  It was very difficult to walk at first, and I was afraid I would tear something, but over time, the skin has stretched and is almost normal. 

My surgeon did a fantastic job and the scar is hard to see if your not looking for it.  I go for my 4 year checkup on Tuesday.

Take it easy for a little while and don't rush it.

Mike from Richmond.

Vermont_Donna
            Participant

Dear Nicole,

My wle was on my lower right calf, on the outer leg, and it was closed without a skin graft and yes it was tight. It was 5 years ago so I dont remember how tight. Your leg is probably swollen as welll, and as the fluid subsides it will get better. be sure to watch carefully for infection and glad you are on keflex. My snb incision developed a seroma and then it got infected and I ended up in the hospital with leg cellulitis for several days, and on antibiotics for a while.

Here's hoping the snb is negative! Keep your leg elevated as much as you can..right??

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

Vermont_Donna
              Participant

Dear Nicole,

My wle was on my lower right calf, on the outer leg, and it was closed without a skin graft and yes it was tight. It was 5 years ago so I dont remember how tight. Your leg is probably swollen as welll, and as the fluid subsides it will get better. be sure to watch carefully for infection and glad you are on keflex. My snb incision developed a seroma and then it got infected and I ended up in the hospital with leg cellulitis for several days, and on antibiotics for a while.

Here's hoping the snb is negative! Keep your leg elevated as much as you can..right??

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

mcanova
              Participant

Hello Nicole,

I also had my WLE on my leg, although mine was on the side of my leg between my knee and hip.  I was told that I might have to have a skin graft, but the surgeon was ultimately able to do the WLE without the graft.  The incision was about 12 inches long and the skin was pulled extremely tight.  It was very difficult to walk at first, and I was afraid I would tear something, but over time, the skin has stretched and is almost normal. 

My surgeon did a fantastic job and the scar is hard to see if your not looking for it.  I go for my 4 year checkup on Tuesday.

Take it easy for a little while and don't rush it.

Mike from Richmond.

gabsound
                Participant

Hi Nicole,

Is your incision on the back part of your calf?

It's hard to compare a degree of tightness especially when we all have a unique location to our wounds.

I had a WLE on the inside portion of my leg at the knee. Scar is about 8-9 inches long. My surgeon was quite worried about this closing and said I might need a skin graft. He did use a wound vac on the area which came off at 1week post op. No skin graft was done.

Post surgery I was in a brace so I couldn't bend my leg, but was surprised when the Dr took that away rather quickly and said he wanted me to bend it (not deep knee bends or anything like that). I was afraid the incision would open. It was quite tight.  Six months out from surgery I'm surprised that it is not all that tight now, and I could do a deep knee bend if I wanted too. I did have a few small tears in the incision that opened across the incision, but I think that is what was needed to allow movement. I don't think that would happen now.

Give your amazing body time to heal. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I know from one week to the next I was amazed how much better I got.

Best of luck to you,

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                  Participant

Hi Nicole,

Is your incision on the back part of your calf?

It's hard to compare a degree of tightness especially when we all have a unique location to our wounds.

I had a WLE on the inside portion of my leg at the knee. Scar is about 8-9 inches long. My surgeon was quite worried about this closing and said I might need a skin graft. He did use a wound vac on the area which came off at 1week post op. No skin graft was done.

Post surgery I was in a brace so I couldn't bend my leg, but was surprised when the Dr took that away rather quickly and said he wanted me to bend it (not deep knee bends or anything like that). I was afraid the incision would open. It was quite tight.  Six months out from surgery I'm surprised that it is not all that tight now, and I could do a deep knee bend if I wanted too. I did have a few small tears in the incision that opened across the incision, but I think that is what was needed to allow movement. I don't think that would happen now.

Give your amazing body time to heal. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I know from one week to the next I was amazed how much better I got.

Best of luck to you,

Julie in Las Vegas

dutchchic
                    Participant

I am about 6 weeks out after a groin node biopsy… ouch, i have some nerve pain in my thigh too, but it actually is getting better day by day… i really noticed a difference last week.

So give yourself some time to heal…   : )

dutchchic
                      Participant

I am about 6 weeks out after a groin node biopsy… ouch, i have some nerve pain in my thigh too, but it actually is getting better day by day… i really noticed a difference last week.

So give yourself some time to heal…   : )

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics