The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Throwing up blood

Forums General Melanoma Community Throwing up blood

Participant

Started throwing up blood this morning. Went right to my cancer center and got labs taken. Liver levels are high. Getting an endoscopy to figure out what is going on. Has anybody had these side effects to ipi/nivo? Supposed to get my 4th dose in a week but not looking great for that. 

Thanks for any help. 

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        debwray
        Participant

Hi Nick,

That sounds pretty scary. Not heard of this on ipi nivo before but blood in stools following collitis is reported regularly.  Guess stomach and esophagus are all part of gastro intestinal tract…so may be you are getting problems in unusual places. but it is all the same tube….  

Hubby had to have endoscopy for investigation re acid reflux problems and although he would not recommend it- found the procedure much easier than feared and didn't even have the offered sedation.

I had to go on steroids due to liver results , whilst on the combo and onc made me take a proton pump inhibitor- PPI – omeprazole- to reduce possibility of gastro intestinal bleeds.

You are pretty young if I have remembered right, so your immune response is likely to be a strong reactor to the drugs. Hang on in there- sounds like they let you go home ….would expect steroids and a drug delay or maybe straight to nivo next. Probably not much help.. but team are taking you seriously and should have an answer and a treatment plan by close of play tomorrow.  Hang on in there..They will figure it out and remember- side effects from combo correlate with a higher percentage response rate- 

Keep telling myself that too. …Supposed to get dose 4 myself in the next 10 days or so…

Please update when you know more…

Best wishes

Deb

debwray
          Participant

Hi Nick,

That sounds pretty scary. Not heard of this on ipi nivo before but blood in stools following collitis is reported regularly.  Guess stomach and esophagus are all part of gastro intestinal tract…so may be you are getting problems in unusual places. but it is all the same tube….  

Hubby had to have endoscopy for investigation re acid reflux problems and although he would not recommend it- found the procedure much easier than feared and didn't even have the offered sedation.

I had to go on steroids due to liver results , whilst on the combo and onc made me take a proton pump inhibitor- PPI – omeprazole- to reduce possibility of gastro intestinal bleeds.

You are pretty young if I have remembered right, so your immune response is likely to be a strong reactor to the drugs. Hang on in there- sounds like they let you go home ….would expect steroids and a drug delay or maybe straight to nivo next. Probably not much help.. but team are taking you seriously and should have an answer and a treatment plan by close of play tomorrow.  Hang on in there..They will figure it out and remember- side effects from combo correlate with a higher percentage response rate- 

Keep telling myself that too. …Supposed to get dose 4 myself in the next 10 days or so…

Best wishes

Deb

debwray
            Participant

Hi Nick,

Best wishes

Deb

jennunicorn
              Participant

Haven't heard anyone mention vomiting blood, glad you went to get checked out right away. It could likely be from inflammation of the stomach or other GI areas. Hope they figure it out soon for you.

jennunicorn
                Participant

Haven't heard anyone mention vomiting blood, glad you went to get checked out right away. It could likely be from inflammation of the stomach or other GI areas. Hope they figure it out soon for you.

jennunicorn
                  Participant

Hukill
                    Participant

What dose of ipi are you on? My dose was 3mg per kilo but I see many on here are getting 10 mg per kilo. It seems those on the higher dose have more severe side effects. I never developed any digestive issues but I also would try to eat pbj sandwich daily and other foods that thicken you up. I am also on pain medication for other problems which constipates also. You may miss a dose or they may drop the ipi and just give the nivo as it has less side effects. I have had 5 combos and 6 nivo by itself and still have at least 1 side effect all the time, right now I have 4 side effects going on but all are manageable. I am ok with side effects because I know my immune system is reacting. Good luck and I hope you can continue treatment.

jennunicorn
                        Participant

The dosing for the combo and Ipi alone for stage 4 is 3mg. The only ones getting the 10mg are stage 3 getting Ipi in the adjuvant setting. So he should be on the regular 3mg dose.

jennunicorn
                          Participant

The dosing for the combo and Ipi alone for stage 4 is 3mg. The only ones getting the 10mg are stage 3 getting Ipi in the adjuvant setting. So he should be on the regular 3mg dose.

jennunicorn
                            Participant

Hukill
                            Participant

What dose of ipi are you on? My dose was 3mg per kilo but I see many on here are getting 10 mg per kilo. It seems those on the higher dose have more severe side effects. I never developed any digestive issues but I also would try to eat pbj sandwich daily and other foods that thicken you up. I am also on pain medication for other problems which constipates also. You may miss a dose or they may drop the ipi and just give the nivo as it has less side effects. I have had 5 combos and 6 nivo by itself and still have at least 1 side effect all the time, right now I have 4 side effects going on but all are manageable. I am ok with side effects because I know my immune system is reacting. Good luck and I hope you can continue treatment.

Hukill
                              Participant

Nicklindner
                                Participant

Thank you for the posts. Looks like I have a severe case of gastritis. Not looking good for the 4th infusion but with prior rashes amongst other side effects the doctors feel my immune system is ramped up. My facial hair is turning white as well.  Hopeful that I can get this under control

Nicklindner
                                  Participant

Thank you for the posts. Looks like I have a severe case of gastritis. Not looking good for the 4th infusion but with prior rashes amongst other side effects the doctors feel my immune system is ramped up. My facial hair is turning white as well.  Hopeful that I can get this under control

Nicklindner
                                    Participant

jennunicorn
                                        Participant

Not fun to have to deal with some of these side effects, but it should mean good things happening on the inside. You may not get the 4th combo dose and could just skip to Nivo alone, 3 doses of the combo has clearly woken your immune system up! Hope you start to feel better from this gastritis soon.

jennunicorn
                                          Participant

Not fun to have to deal with some of these side effects, but it should mean good things happening on the inside. You may not get the 4th combo dose and could just skip to Nivo alone, 3 doses of the combo has clearly woken your immune system up! Hope you start to feel better from this gastritis soon.

jennunicorn
                                            Participant

debwray
                                              Participant

Hi Nick,

Logged on to see if any news.The white facial hair seems to be a characteristic of a number of complete responders. That and vitiligo any depigmented skin too ? Go with the optimistic thoughts..it sure does help with this white knuckle ride.

Best wishes

Deb

debwray
                                                Participant

Hi Nick,

Logged on to see if any news.The white facial hair seems to be a characteristic of a number of complete responders. That and vitiligo any depigmented skin too ? Go with the optimistic thoughts..it sure does help with this white knuckle ride.

Best wishes

Deb

debwray
                                                  Participant

Hi Nick,

Best wishes

Deb

Mat
                                                  Participant

Nick, I only had 3 of 4 of the combined infusions due to GI issues.  I wouldn't worry about missing the 4th.

Mat
                                                    Participant

Nick, I only had 3 of 4 of the combined infusions due to GI issues.  I wouldn't worry about missing the 4th.

Nicklindner
                                                        Participant

Thanks. I feel like something is happening inside me. Just hoping it is mostly good. Hope you guys are doing well!

Nicklindner
                                                          Participant

Thanks. I feel like something is happening inside me. Just hoping it is mostly good. Hope you guys are doing well!

Nicklindner
                                                            Participant

Mat
                                                            Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics