The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Thoughts – Scans before surgery???

Forums General Melanoma Community Thoughts – Scans before surgery???

Participant

Hello all,

Melanoma Stage III, I have already distal thumb amputation and sentinel node which came back with two positive nodules.

I'm currently scheduled for Lymphadenectomy 7/31 but have been told it would be a good idea to get scans (PET/MRI) done before; some doctors are saying do scans before, some say do it after surgery. Doing before would mean 3-4 week postponement of the Lymphadenectomy.

Thoughts?

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

The reason you would want to do scans prior to surgery — if the melanoma has spread elsewhere, then maybe a systemic treatment would be used and surgery is unnecessary.  However, having a lymph node dissection is fairly standard most places in the US and some clinical trials might require it.   If the scans show you have no other disease, then you proceed as you have already planned.   So basically, scans before surgery would indicate whether you are really stage III versus stage IV.  Then you make surgery/treatment plans based on your staging.  Doing scans afterward is certainly done, but then you have no options whether or not to avoid the surgery.  Neither way is right or wrong, it's just what makes YOU the most comfortable.

Janner
          Participant

The reason you would want to do scans prior to surgery — if the melanoma has spread elsewhere, then maybe a systemic treatment would be used and surgery is unnecessary.  However, having a lymph node dissection is fairly standard most places in the US and some clinical trials might require it.   If the scans show you have no other disease, then you proceed as you have already planned.   So basically, scans before surgery would indicate whether you are really stage III versus stage IV.  Then you make surgery/treatment plans based on your staging.  Doing scans afterward is certainly done, but then you have no options whether or not to avoid the surgery.  Neither way is right or wrong, it's just what makes YOU the most comfortable.

jvictoria
              Participant

Thanks Janner…

I'm leaning towards doing the scans prior to the lymph node dissection… But, I'm concerned about pushing the surgery out 3-4 weeks and the possibility of it spreading.

Thanks for your insight!!!

jvictoria
                Participant

Thanks Janner…

I'm leaning towards doing the scans prior to the lymph node dissection… But, I'm concerned about pushing the surgery out 3-4 weeks and the possibility of it spreading.

jvictoria
                  Participant

Thanks Janner…

Janner
                  Participant

ed williams
                    Participant

Juan another way to look at the situation is if you do the scans first and they find something ie brain or major organ then they would start treating the whole body. After I had my lymph node removed back in 2012 the Oncologist wanted to wait about one month before starting Interferon to avoid infection risk. If you do scans after node removal, you would probably have to wait for treatment if they find something.One other thing to possible consider would be the European study, about whether it is better or not to do a complete lymph node removal, which was presented at the 2015 ASCO conference in Chicago. Wishing you the best !!! Ed  

ed williams
                      Participant

Juan another way to look at the situation is if you do the scans first and they find something ie brain or major organ then they would start treating the whole body. After I had my lymph node removed back in 2012 the Oncologist wanted to wait about one month before starting Interferon to avoid infection risk. If you do scans after node removal, you would probably have to wait for treatment if they find something.One other thing to possible consider would be the European study, about whether it is better or not to do a complete lymph node removal, which was presented at the 2015 ASCO conference in Chicago. Wishing you the best !!! Ed  

ed williams
                        Participant

jvictoria
                            Participant

Ed. Thanks for the insight, had not thought of it in the way you described.

Also, talked to a few doctors about the study you mention most of them are not comfortable with it yet mostly because of the size of the sample of people in the study.

jvictoria
                              Participant

Also, talked to a few doctors about the study you mention most of them are not comfortable with it yet mostly because of the size of the sample of people in the study.

jvictoria
                                Participant

arthurjedi007
                                Participant

Not sure why the 3 to 4 week delay. In the USA my doc has got a pet and MRI approved by insurance in 2 days and scan on day 3 and he has the results if he wants that day or the day after. So max 5 days. Kind of pushing close to your surgery date but with the right doc and team it can be done. Thought I would mention it can be done.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                  Participant

Not sure why the 3 to 4 week delay. In the USA my doc has got a pet and MRI approved by insurance in 2 days and scan on day 3 and he has the results if he wants that day or the day after. So max 5 days. Kind of pushing close to your surgery date but with the right doc and team it can be done. Thought I would mention it can be done.

Artie

jvictoria
                                      Participant

Artie Thanks… Right now scheduled for Tuesday scans. Surgery at Moffitt on Friday. That would cut it very close.

jvictoria
                                        Participant

Artie Thanks… Right now scheduled for Tuesday scans. Surgery at Moffitt on Friday. That would cut it very close.

tschmith
                                          Participant

I agree with Artie!

Wishing you the best!

Terrie

tschmith
                                            Participant

I agree with Artie!

Wishing you the best!

Terrie

tschmith
                                              Participant

I agree with Artie!

Wishing you the best!

Terrie

tschmith
                                                Participant

I agree with Artie!

Wishing you the best!

Terrie

tschmith
                                                  Participant

I agree with Artie!

Wishing you the best!

Terrie

tschmith
                                                    Participant

I agree with Artie!

Wishing you the best!

Terrie

jvictoria
                                                      Participant

arthurjedi007
                                                      Participant

Artie

Marianne quinn
                                                        Participant

My husband had melanoma under the thumbnail. They did a PET scan before surgery. That did not delay the lymphendectomy . It was done 2 weeks after the SNB to allow time for the thumb to heal after the partial amputation. Scan on July 14'was NED . Last ipi infusion was early march 2014.,yippee!

Marianne quinn
                                                          Participant

My husband had melanoma under the thumbnail. They did a PET scan before surgery. That did not delay the lymphendectomy . It was done 2 weeks after the SNB to allow time for the thumb to heal after the partial amputation. Scan on July 14'was NED . Last ipi infusion was early march 2014.,yippee!

Marianne quinn
                                                            Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics