The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Thoughts on prognosis

Forums General Melanoma Community Thoughts on prognosis

Participant

I was diagnosed last year with 1a SSM on my back.  Breslow 0.33mm, no ulceration, one mitotic figure identified in dermis (mitotic rate listed as <1), because of that mitotic figure in the dermis vertical growth phase listed as present (early invasive vertical growth phase), Clark II (I know this is not used as much nowadays).  Had WLE and SLNB (I know it wasn't necessary with 0.33, but I pushed for it), results were clear.  I'm very worried about recurrance/metastasis down the road, because of the vertical growth phase invasiveness.  I don't have a good h

I was diagnosed last year with 1a SSM on my back.  Breslow 0.33mm, no ulceration, one mitotic figure identified in dermis (mitotic rate listed as <1), because of that mitotic figure in the dermis vertical growth phase listed as present (early invasive vertical growth phase), Clark II (I know this is not used as much nowadays).  Had WLE and SLNB (I know it wasn't necessary with 0.33, but I pushed for it), results were clear.  I'm very worried about recurrance/metastasis down the road, because of the vertical growth phase invasiveness.  I don't have a good handle on my prognosis, because even though stage is 1a, Breslow is thin, etc…..it seems like of the thin melanomas, I'm in a high risk category because of VGP and dermal mitotic figure identified.  So, I'm really struggling with this.  What would my prognosis really be with this?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

Forgot to add no regression…

Tra88
            Participant

Hi anonymous, not sure if you still visit this forum but wanted to ask you a few questions. I have also recently been diagnosed with stage 1, 0.3mm, no ulceration, no mitotic figure but not enough sample to be definite. 

I have also been having a lot of stress and worry like you were. Can I ask you, how are you now? Do you still worry a lot? Have you had any recurrences? 

Thank you, Tracy 

KatieB
              Participant

Hi Tracy,

I just was was diagnosed with the same as you, .3mm – though I haven't seen my exact results so I don't know exactly mitotic rate,etc. I asked for the node procedure but I've been told that there's no justification for it.  What have you done since diagnosis? Did you have more moles removed? WLE? Anything else?  I haven't been able to get in for a follow up yet so I don't have a plan but I feel very worried. 

I'd love to hear what your dr is recommending.

thanks,

katie 

Cjodonn
                Participant

I was diagnosed with .40 melanoma on forehead in 2011 at age 29.  I had WLE and dermatologist every 6 months.  No SLNB or scans.  Luckily I've had no recurrence or secondary melanomas.  I still worry frequently about it coming back as every now and then I'll see articles in the news.

Tra88
                  Participant

Hi anonymous, not sure if you still visit this forum but wanted to ask you a few questions. I have also recently been diagnosed with stage 1, 0.3mm, no ulceration, no mitotic figure but not enough sample to be definite. 

I have also been having a lot of stress and worry like you were. Can I ask you, how are you now? Do you still worry a lot? Have you had any recurrences? 

Thank you, Tracy 

Tra88
                    Participant

Thank you, Tracy 

JC
                    Participant

JC
                      Participant

Janner
                        Participant

Stage 1A has about a 97% 10 year survival rate.  And that includes lesions MUCH deeper than yours (up to 1mm).  I think your prognosis is pretty great.  Almost all stage IA are in the vertical growth phase (there is no category for Clark II radial growth phase only and not all path reports even list growth phase).  I really think your worry is exceeding your risk at this point.  Spending a lot of time researching this is going to increase your anxiety, and decrease your life happiness.  Don't let melanoma win by making your life anxiety prone!  It's time to move on.  Give melanoma the respect it deserves with derm appointments, self checks and sun safety.  Then go on and LIVE!

Best wishes,

Janner

stage IB since 1992, 3 MM primaries

JC
                            Participant

Thank you, Janner.  So, I guess my next question. . logically. . is if Stage 1A has about a 97% 10 year survival rate. . .who are the 3%?  Is there any predictive/prognostic indicator in the initial pathology?  Thanks

Janner
                              Participant

Depth is THE most predictive factor by far.  Yours is in the bottom 30%.

Janner
                                Participant

Janner
                                  Participant

mlbjab
                                    Participant

Please don't forget, even if you did not have cancer your 15 yr survival (depending on your age which I'm unsure of) would still include a potential death rate.  There are other diseases more likely to kill you, or accidents – do you sit around worrying about those?

mlbjab
                                      Participant

Please don't forget, even if you did not have cancer your 15 yr survival (depending on your age which I'm unsure of) would still include a potential death rate.  There are other diseases more likely to kill you, or accidents – do you sit around worrying about those?

JC
                                        Participant

I'm in my 30s.  I guess at that age you're just not used to talking about survival rate %s, etc…  You assume you still have a long time.  Until something like this….

JC
                                          Participant

I'm in my 30s.  I guess at that age you're just not used to talking about survival rate %s, etc…  You assume you still have a long time.  Until something like this….

natasha
                                            Participant

Hi!

I am in my 30 as well , and I was diagnosed in January .Since that I had my low points and I was thinking about what will happen if I will dye.

I am a bit more relaxed now and I stay positive.

In situation like mine or yours prognosys are very good ,really ..

And why should we think about 5 or 10 year survivel rates if anything can happen – car crash or incident ,or different deseace which can kill. It 's life and anything can happen. And we can not plan and orgine our life for 10 years ahead.

Try to enjoy you life ,try to listen to your body , to check your moles ,but not to be obsesssed.

natasha
                                              Participant

Hi!

I am in my 30 as well , and I was diagnosed in January .Since that I had my low points and I was thinking about what will happen if I will dye.

And why should we think about 5 or 10 year survivel rates if anything can happen – car crash or incident ,or different deseace which can kill. It 's life and anything can happen. And we can not plan and orgine our life for 10 years ahead.

Try to enjoy you life ,try to listen to your body , to check your moles ,but not to be obsesssed.

natasha
                                                Participant

Hi!

JC
                                                  Participant

mlbjab
                                                    Participant

JC
                                                      Participant

Thank you, Janner.  So, I guess my next question. . logically. . is if Stage 1A has about a 97% 10 year survival rate. . .who are the 3%?  Is there any predictive/prognostic indicator in the initial pathology?  Thanks

JC
                                                        Participant

Janner
                                                        Participant

Stage 1A has about a 97% 10 year survival rate.  And that includes lesions MUCH deeper than yours (up to 1mm).  I think your prognosis is pretty great.  Almost all stage IA are in the vertical growth phase (there is no category for Clark II radial growth phase only and not all path reports even list growth phase).  I really think your worry is exceeding your risk at this point.  Spending a lot of time researching this is going to increase your anxiety, and decrease your life happiness.  Don't let melanoma win by making your life anxiety prone!  It's time to move on.  Give melanoma the respect it deserves with derm appointments, self checks and sun safety.  Then go on and LIVE!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                                          Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

MichaelFL
                                                            Participant

I used to come here often, not so much anymore, but I just happened to stop in and see your post today.

You and I are almost identical. I had a .30 mm Breslow depth, one mitosis, no ulceration and vertical growth phase. This September will be 4 years out since diagnosis. I did not have a SNB as my derm and I felt it was not needed.

Your prognosis is excellent, so if all this is really bothering you, stay away from these boards and go live life. Reading here will most likely not lessen your stress.

Just remember to keep up the derm visits and skin checks as I do.

Michael

MichaelFL
                                                              Participant

I used to come here often, not so much anymore, but I just happened to stop in and see your post today.

You and I are almost identical. I had a .30 mm Breslow depth, one mitosis, no ulceration and vertical growth phase. This September will be 4 years out since diagnosis. I did not have a SNB as my derm and I felt it was not needed.

Your prognosis is excellent, so if all this is really bothering you, stay away from these boards and go live life. Reading here will most likely not lessen your stress.

Michael

MichaelFL
                                                                Participant

Michael

CatHar12
                                                                    Participant

I was just diagnosed at the age of 32 with T1A melanoma. I am stil absorbing all of this and trying to understand it.  I understand that this is the "best" phase to be in, but I am so paranoid. I am blonde with fair skin and lots of freckles (which i am now afraid of). My oncologist said that he will take a margin out of my ear (that shouldnt be noticeable) then I will just see a dermatologist  every 6 months for 2 years then once a year. I am confused as towhether my chances of it returning have increased (in other spots on my body). I know that it can come back on my ear (higher chances). I guess I am just looking for some input/experience from people who have gone through this.

I try really hard to do what  Michael said (Your prognosis is excellent, so if all this is really bothering you, stay away from these boards and go live life. Reading here will most likely not lessen your stress.) but I think I just need more info

Cathie

Tra88
                                                                      Participant

Hi Cathie, I'm not sure if you still visit this forum but wanted to ask you a couple of questions. I have recently been diagnosed as stage 1a. I know the facts say that my prognosis is really good but my head is still in stress and worry. 

How do you feel now after this amount of time? Do you still worry? Have you had any recurrences? 

Many thanks, 

tracy 

Tra88
                                                                        Participant

Hi Cathie, I'm not sure if you still visit this forum but wanted to ask you a couple of questions. I have recently been diagnosed as stage 1a. I know the facts say that my prognosis is really good but my head is still in stress and worry. 

How do you feel now after this amount of time? Do you still worry? Have you had any recurrences? 

Many thanks, 

tracy 

Tra88
                                                                          Participant

Many thanks, 

tracy 

CatHar12
                                                                            Participant

I was just diagnosed at the age of 32 with T1A melanoma. I am stil absorbing all of this and trying to understand it.  I understand that this is the "best" phase to be in, but I am so paranoid. I am blonde with fair skin and lots of freckles (which i am now afraid of). My oncologist said that he will take a margin out of my ear (that shouldnt be noticeable) then I will just see a dermatologist  every 6 months for 2 years then once a year. I am confused as towhether my chances of it returning have increased (in other spots on my body). I know that it can come back on my ear (higher chances). I guess I am just looking for some input/experience from people who have gone through this.

I try really hard to do what  Michael said (Your prognosis is excellent, so if all this is really bothering you, stay away from these boards and go live life. Reading here will most likely not lessen your stress.) but I think I just need more info

Cathie

CatHar12
                                                                              Participant

Cathie

CatHar12
                                                                                Participant

Cathie

CatHar12
                                                                                  Participant

Cathie

CatHar12
                                                                                    Participant

Cathie

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics