The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

The waiting begins……

Forums General Melanoma Community The waiting begins……

Participant

Keeping my fingers crossed. The guy doing the scan said I did a nice job of holding still. I then replied, "did I light up???!" He said that question was above his pay grade. It's crazy that right now someone knows what's going on with my body and I don't! 

Thanks for all of your nice thoughts!

Isabell

Keeping my fingers crossed. The guy doing the scan said I did a nice job of holding still. I then replied, "did I light up???!" He said that question was above his pay grade. It's crazy that right now someone knows what's going on with my body and I don't! 

Thanks for all of your nice thoughts!

Isabell

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Lori Stoen
        Participant

hoping and wishing you get good news !

Lori Stoen
          Participant

Lori Stoen
            Participant

JerryfromFauq
              Participant

I walk out of radiology with a copy of my scans on disk.  Love UVA.

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

gostan
                    Participant
                      Wow. Before your radiologist gives you the doc’s take?
                      Nonna Sharpe
                      Participant
                        Good morning!
                        I’m just starting to follow.
                        When you talk UVA is that the hospital?
                        My son is stage 4, and has been battling since August 2012.
                        I hope you will be part of the cure statistic as will my son. 🙂
                        hbecker
                        Participant

We also get copies of the disk when we leave the Hopkins lab where the tests are done – but not a report. And no, the technician won't tell us what s/he sees. It is indeed above their pay grade …

I think one reason is that when the studies are read, they are compared with previous ones to see what's changed – as that is the most important thing. We all have "spots" throughout our body, but whether they are anything to worry about is the question. It takes time and careful study for them to come with a "no evidence of disease" report – or one that says lesions have grown or shrunk, or weren't seen before. 

But patience is very hard … and I am already anxious, on August 1, about scans that will be done on August 20. It will be an unsettled month for us.

Good luck, Isabell – hope you get the report you want!

~Hazel

casagrayson
                          Participant

I don't have melanoma, but I have Cushing's disease (tumors on the pituitary gland).  I always leave with digital copies of my scans (CT, MRI, etc).  If you tell the technician ahead of the test and sign a release of medical records waiver, they should have no problem giving them to you on the spot.  I much prefer that as I can review the scans and am more prepared to ask the doctor questions.

Everymoment
                            Participant

The doctor called and my scans are CLEAR:-)  This is wonderful. However, I still had a stroke at 35 and I still don't feel any better. I'm a little on the frustrated side that the docs can't figure out why I've had a stroke and we have done lots of tests.

Thanks for all of your positive thoughts.

Isabell

casagrayson
                              Participant

Happy Dance!  That is wonderful news.  I know you are frustrated in not knowing why, but hopefully you can be content with the fact that, as of right this minute, all is well!

hbecker
                                Participant

Isabell, so glad your scans are clear!!! That means you can concentrate on something else for a while – living life, and maybe figuring out the stroke thing …

Just so happy for you.

~Hazel

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

Before even the Radiologist has seen the scan!  Univ of Va schedules the scan for approximately two hours before your Onc apt so that the Pathologist can get a chance for an initial review immediately and put it on line, he provides a final review by the next day.  My Oncologist looks at the pathology initial report and at least one previous scan and the current scan himself before he sees me.  Sometimes I look at the scan before seeing the Onc, most times not, since my wife usually wants us to eat between the scan and office visit.  (Depends if I have a strong Suspicion of anything.)  They mail me the final pathalogical report a couple of days later.  Sure keeps the waiting anxiety down!

Everymoment
                                    Participant

Thanks for all of the love! I just don't know where to go from here. I really don't want to have another stroke. It's crazy I'm saying that at 35.

Thanks for the support.

Hugs,

Isabell

gostan
                                      Participant
                                        gostan
                                        Participant
                                          Nonna Sharpe
                                          Participant
                                            Good morning!
                                            Nonna Sharpe
                                            Participant
                                              Good morning!
                                              hbecker
                                              Participant

We also get copies of the disk when we leave the Hopkins lab where the tests are done – but not a report. And no, the technician won't tell us what s/he sees. It is indeed above their pay grade …

I think one reason is that when the studies are read, they are compared with previous ones to see what's changed – as that is the most important thing. We all have "spots" throughout our body, but whether they are anything to worry about is the question. It takes time and careful study for them to come with a "no evidence of disease" report – or one that says lesions have grown or shrunk, or weren't seen before. 

But patience is very hard … and I am already anxious, on August 1, about scans that will be done on August 20. It will be an unsettled month for us.

~Hazel

hbecker
                                                Participant

~Hazel

casagrayson
                                                  Participant

I don't have melanoma, but I have Cushing's disease (tumors on the pituitary gland).  I always leave with digital copies of my scans (CT, MRI, etc).  If you tell the technician ahead of the test and sign a release of medical records waiver, they should have no problem giving them to you on the spot.  I much prefer that as I can review the scans and am more prepared to ask the doctor questions.

casagrayson
                                                    Participant

Everymoment
                                                      Participant

The doctor called and my scans are CLEAR:-)  This is wonderful. However, I still had a stroke at 35 and I still don't feel any better. I'm a little on the frustrated side that the docs can't figure out why I've had a stroke and we have done lots of tests.

Isabell

Everymoment
                                                        Participant

Isabell

casagrayson
                                                          Participant

Happy Dance!  That is wonderful news.  I know you are frustrated in not knowing why, but hopefully you can be content with the fact that, as of right this minute, all is well!

casagrayson
                                                            Participant

hbecker
                                                              Participant

Isabell, so glad your scans are clear!!! That means you can concentrate on something else for a while – living life, and maybe figuring out the stroke thing …

Just so happy for you.

~Hazel

hbecker
                                                                Participant

Just so happy for you.

~Hazel

JerryfromFauq
                                                                  Participant

Before even the Radiologist has seen the scan!  Univ of Va schedules the scan for approximately two hours before your Onc apt so that the Pathologist can get a chance for an initial review immediately and put it on line, he provides a final review by the next day.  My Oncologist looks at the pathology initial report and at least one previous scan and the current scan himself before he sees me.  Sometimes I look at the scan before seeing the Onc, most times not, since my wife usually wants us to eat between the scan and office visit.  (Depends if I have a strong Suspicion of anything.)  They mail me the final pathalogical report a couple of days later.  Sure keeps the waiting anxiety down!

JerryfromFauq
                                                                    Participant

Everymoment
                                                                      Participant

Thanks for all of the love! I just don't know where to go from here. I really don't want to have another stroke. It's crazy I'm saying that at 35.

Thanks for the support.

Hugs,

Isabell

Everymoment
                                                                        Participant

Thanks for the support.

Hugs,

Isabell

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics