The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

The Tans That Bond – NY Times Blog

Forums General Melanoma Community The Tans That Bond – NY Times Blog

Participant

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/28/the-tans-that-bond/

Warning: This article is truly disturbing!

227 female students surveyed, almost 40 percent had gone to tan for the first time with their mothers.  Are you kidding me?

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/28/the-tans-that-bond/

Warning: This article is truly disturbing!

227 female students surveyed, almost 40 percent had gone to tan for the first time with their mothers.  Are you kidding me?

Obviously, we need more information out there in the media about the dangers of tanning.  If they could see what a person with Stage 4 Melanoma goes through, maybe they would think twice.  Is it really worth it?  You may have a "glowing" tan but that tan could turn to tumors and death later…

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        KellieSue
        Participant

It is horribly disturbing. I can't understand why we seem to be rewarding these young people for looking the way they do because of tans.(Jersey Shore anyone?)

2 friends of mine still go tanning because one says, "I don't have problems like you." What problem is that? Cancer?

And the other, I really don't know her problem. I never tanned at a salon in my life, EVER! And I wasn't a big sun worshipper when I was younger either. This just happened to me.

KellieSue
          Participant

It is horribly disturbing. I can't understand why we seem to be rewarding these young people for looking the way they do because of tans.(Jersey Shore anyone?)

2 friends of mine still go tanning because one says, "I don't have problems like you." What problem is that? Cancer?

And the other, I really don't know her problem. I never tanned at a salon in my life, EVER! And I wasn't a big sun worshipper when I was younger either. This just happened to me.

Joan C
            Participant

Thanks for posting this.  I posted the link to my Facebook page, just to try to get the word out.  The Comments section of the article has a lot of posts saying that people should know that tanning is bad.  But I wonder how much of the general public really thinks it;s as bad as it is.  I still know people who think it is good to get a "base tan" before a winter cruise or something.

There is a lot of press about sunscreen in the summer, but I don't know that there is enough public education on the dangers of indoor tanning.  We obviously have a long way to go if mothers who would never buy their daughters cigarettes continue to take them to the tanning salon!

Joan C
              Participant

Thanks for posting this.  I posted the link to my Facebook page, just to try to get the word out.  The Comments section of the article has a lot of posts saying that people should know that tanning is bad.  But I wonder how much of the general public really thinks it;s as bad as it is.  I still know people who think it is good to get a "base tan" before a winter cruise or something.

There is a lot of press about sunscreen in the summer, but I don't know that there is enough public education on the dangers of indoor tanning.  We obviously have a long way to go if mothers who would never buy their daughters cigarettes continue to take them to the tanning salon!

Joan C
                Participant

Joan C
                  Participant

bcl
                    Participant

Thank you for positing this Jill, while I’m disappointed in the mothers (and wonder if some children will want to sue mommy dearest down the road…)  I'm not that surprised given the amount of advertising and confusing information out there. And we only need to look at this tanning site to see how hard industry is working to maintain access to children – http://www.theita.com/?page=State_Legislation

But thankfully some governments are realizing that legislation is the logical next step to publicly funded education and I'm thrilled to post here that the Canadian Province of Nova Scotia has just moved to ban minors under nineteen from indoor tanning! Hopefully this will be the first of many….

It is important to note the legislation passed third reading with unanimous support from the NDP, Progressive Conservative AND Liberal parties. (Important because industry reps have been known to say criticism is politically motivated.)    

http://nslegislature.ca/index.php/proceedings/bills/tanning_beds_act_bill_102/

Thanks again Jill, this article may just help me with our own local push, linda

bcl
                      Participant

Thank you for positing this Jill, while I’m disappointed in the mothers (and wonder if some children will want to sue mommy dearest down the road…)  I'm not that surprised given the amount of advertising and confusing information out there. And we only need to look at this tanning site to see how hard industry is working to maintain access to children – http://www.theita.com/?page=State_Legislation

But thankfully some governments are realizing that legislation is the logical next step to publicly funded education and I'm thrilled to post here that the Canadian Province of Nova Scotia has just moved to ban minors under nineteen from indoor tanning! Hopefully this will be the first of many….

It is important to note the legislation passed third reading with unanimous support from the NDP, Progressive Conservative AND Liberal parties. (Important because industry reps have been known to say criticism is politically motivated.)    

http://nslegislature.ca/index.php/proceedings/bills/tanning_beds_act_bill_102/

Thanks again Jill, this article may just help me with our own local push, linda

JakeinNY
                        Participant

Shame on their mothers. It's like the mother going with them to pick up their first pack of cigarettes.

JakeinNY
                          Participant

Shame on their mothers. It's like the mother going with them to pick up their first pack of cigarettes.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics