The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

The Plan… The Plan

Forums General Melanoma Community The Plan… The Plan

Participant

Greetings Friends!

We have a plan!!! And it's a good one!

Next Tues afternoon I will start my first (of four) rounds of a chemo combo (carboplatin and pemetrexed). The thinking is that this is the treatment that makes treating two cancers (Melanoma and NSCLung Cancer) comparatively simple. It's quick (only 12 weeks) and very well known. After being in the land of amazing new medicine (I'm talking to you Ipi and Pembro!!), it is strangely comforting, knowing that there shouldn't be any mystery side effects to deal with. After chemo I will start 35 or so sessions of radiation. Then Larry the lung cancer will have been cut, poisoned, and burned!

This is my first trip into the chemo-beamo world and while I like the "known" aspects of it, I'm not really wild on those known things happening to me.  I know I'll be fine. I have an amazing team and am surrounded by crazy friends and crazier family.  So I'll be very well supported.  But I'm still a bit apprehensive. And of course, I may (or may not) get to keep my hair.  

This has been one long, scary roller coaster ride and I've hated waiting to figure things out. But this waiting time has given me opportunity to think and pray about what I want in treatment. It's easy to say that I want to be cured (and my 23 year old body back as a side effect). But it's much harder to figure out what I'm potentially willing to give up. This extended time has helped me figure this out. And I'm so grateful.

Thanks for coming along with me on this long, scary ride.

Shalom,

Julie

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Casitas1
        Participant
          I always wondered why the Love boat didn’t make stops at Fantasy Island? Sounds like a great plan going forward Julie! Was in to see Rock Star today. All kinds of News Vans all over and I just thought some movie star had a baby.. come to find out they interviewed Rock star! It should be on ktla and others tonight. Chemo was a piece of cake for me although low dose. I still lost hair I didn’t have. Right there with you on the Zipper although a spectator this time. Hang tough Julie… Best, Paul
            Julie in SoCal
            Participant

No Way, Paul!

He got the nickname "Rock Star" because right after my initial  consult with him in 2008 I saw him on NBC4 doing some PSA or something.  Of course he's doing it again.  Just found it: Here's the Rock Star's 5 seconds in the limelight.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I appreciate it.  I'll be at St John's most of next Tues and at JWCI in the afternoon.  If you happen to be there…though having just come home I'm pretty sure you won't be, but if you are, say hey!  I'll look out for you when I"m there.

J

Bubbles
            Participant

Julie, you are one tough, amazing, funny and all out kick-A$$ woman!!!  Larry (and Wonder Woman) need to look out.  I'm glad you have a plan you are pleased with.  Hang in there and keep us posted!!!  c

maperny
              Participant

You are an inspiration, hope everything goes really well

Maria

AshleyS
                Participant

Hi Julie!

I don't know that I have ever reached out to you but I love reading your posts. I liked reading them better when melanoma was in check, but I know how good it is to have a plan. Keep on keeping on!

Best wishes,

Ashley

momof4boys
                  Participant

You, my dear, always try to keep it light and funny on here, just what we all need! I appreciate you and your posts and have been wondering how you were doing. Hope this is it and hopefully Larry didn't get too attached like we have!!

Rachel

Scooby123
                    Participant

Hi Julie so glad you have a plan in place. You  are a very strong lady and am sure you will kick arse xx take care Hun be thinking of you .scooby x

jenny22
                      Participant

Hey Julie- Glad to hear plans are in place! sounds like a good one for Larrys soon to be demise!  Hoping we can put him behind us, and more on to getting rid of MEL.

Hope all goes well on Tuesday…keep us posted.

Wishing you all the best!

jenny

ed williams
                          Participant

Please stop posting this crap on the forum Gene!!!!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics