The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

test results to matter

Forums General Melanoma Community test results to matter

Participant
      most of you know the procedure. infusion and blood draws. some have mentioned thryroid problems. I get to see the Onc less often than infusion, but I do get to look at test results thru my Oncologist patient portal.

what levels of what hormone or other indicator should I look for?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Edwin
        Participant
          TSH is tested to check on my thyroid. Less often T4 free is also tested.
            tkoss
            Participant
              Edwin, I read your bio. a couple of questions for you.

you had several petscans and you said they revealed melanoma in different areas. does that mean you found tumors and by logic conclude they were melanoma or did you do biopsies to confirm?

Edwin
              Participant
                A PET scan around February 2015 showed a suspicious area in a rib where I had an injury. The pain from that injury went away and a needle biopsy showed no bone cancer. A PET scan in August 2015 showed greater activity in that rib. This time a needle biopsy showed melanoma in that rib. I had a needle biopsy to my neck in late 2015 or early 2016 which did not show cancer. A March 1 2016 PET scan showed activity in many bones. A needle biopsy to one bone showed melanoma. I knew something was very wrong, because walking became very painful in February 2016. After ipi + nivo immunotherapy my bone cancer disappeared. An April 2016 PET scan showed activity under my left jaw. An MRI showed a tumor with a hollow center. This looked so much like cancer that a biopsy was not done. I received radiation to it, while continuing to receive Opdivo immunotherapy.
                Edwin
                Participant
                  ” April 2016 PET scan showed activity under my left jaw.”
                  correction:
                  An April 2018 PET scan showed activity under my left jaw.
                  tkoss
                  Participant
                    thanks.

post SLNB of my left axial I had lumps show up in my right axial. no one ever did anything other than feel them. both eventually went away. but as far as someone doing a biopsy, nope.

I guess you can’t biopsy every thing, and I am scheduled for CT 3 months after 1st nivo infusion. so I guess they know what they are doing.

fedupnurse67
                  Participant
                    My TSH is tested, and if that is out of whack I get my T3 and T4 tested as well.
                Viewing 1 reply thread
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics