The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Temodar it is, at least for now

Forums General Melanoma Community Temodar it is, at least for now

Participant

I just heard from Dr. Sharfman. He spoke to the radiologist, who pulled up my MRIs and said yes, there is definitely a new brain met. Very small, but it's there. So I start on Temodar, and he wants me to have my radiation oncologist zap the new spot. Temodar crosses the blood/brain barrier, so I assume that will help matters too. Then, after a couple of months of Temodar, we'll check things again and maybe at that point I can get into a trial.

Not the best news, but I'm relieved I'm going to be getting treatment. The TIL trial results had been so-so for me, and I've been out of that trial since the end of November. Over the past 5-6 weeks I've had several new skin spots pop up, and I've been quietly losing my mind over not getting any treatment other than radiation on my brain. Even though this is not what I had hoped to hear, in the 30 minutes or so since I talked to him I've felt a lot better about things.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

-Bill

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Summer S.
        Participant

Hello Bill, 

I personally donot have any experience with Temodar, but I wanted to wish you all the best with the new treatment. 

I also found this past thread on the topic and I see a number of happy experiences: https://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/temodar-durable-response

Finally, my mom had Gamma for brain tumor and worked very well for her. So you may want to check that with your radiologist as well 

Happy weekend to you too dear 🙂 

mrsaxde
            Participant

Thanks for the link! Temodar is an old treatment now, but as someone observed, if it didn't help at least some people, it wouldn't be an approved treatment. Maybe this time I'll be one of the lucky ones!

-Bill

NancyGM
            Participant
              Hi Bill, I did Temodar for a mediastinum met 2007-2008 and have been “no evidence of disease”, (NED) for eleven years. I am now having a supraclivicular node checked out, but even if it’s a recurrence, I can’t believe Temodar bought me 11 years. Best of luck to you in your treatments and have a nice weekend.
                mrsaxde
                Participant

Thanks Nancy. I hope your new lymph node issue turns out to be nothing. I'm hopeful the Temodar will get things stabilized in my brain, and Dr. Sharfman said that they have been finding recenlty that patients like me who have had immunotherapies have a better response rate. We shall see!

-Bill

Bubbles
                Participant

Glad you are feeling pretty good about your plan, Bill!!!  Melanoma makes us find crazy sh*t acceptable, doesn't it??   I know you will rock this out!  Keep us posted on the zappage and temodar!  Hugs!  Celeste

mrsaxde
                    Participant

Hi Celeste! Yes, it is amazing what the human mind will do to adapt to a less than favorable situation. After I posted my update yesterday I spoke to the radiation oncologist's nurse, and I'm set for a planning session (and another mask — fun fun!) next Friday March 8. And in a related but minor vein, I've hit my maximum out of pocket for my insurance, so anything and everything they do to me until July 1 doesn't cost me a penny! LOL

-Bill

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics