The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Temodar experiences

Forums General Melanoma Community Temodar experiences

Participant

Has anyone taken the chemo temodar? I am specifically taking it via infusion for 5 days ( but I kno you can also take it orally) with a regular dose of ipi and 10 days of full brain radiation. Apparently temodar can get to the brain so they decided to add it to my treatment because of my situation. 

Recently they found leptomeningeal disease in my brain, so basically there is melanoma in the tissue surrounding and protecting my brain and spinal chord.hasnt gotten to the spinal fluid yet which is good, but they did find two small lesions on the bone of my lower lumbar spine 🙁 it's pretty darn serious and I was kicked out of the PD-1 trial I was to start the next week.

So plan B is just trying to be aggressive, hense my agreement to do chemo. I thought I'd be able to skip that stuff, but you can't always get what you want. I've done 4 out on5 infusions so far and haven't noticed many changes, but I kno that side effects often take time to kick in.

i really dontknow what to expect and am not knowledgeable about chemo (temodar especially) and how to take care of myself while on it. My doctors have not been very informative on the subjuct. When they handed me a mask the other day just to walk outside I was very surprised and when I got to see my 2 year old niece 6felt scared to touch or to hold her.

will I lose my hair? When?

i feel ignorant, which I try to avoid when it comes to my health.

Anyone experienced this particular drug and want share some knowledge with me?

Thanks for listening

H

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mat
        Participant

Hannah, sorry to hear about your situation.  I can't answer your question, but in terms of options–do a search for leptomeningeal disease in this forum.  Within the past few months there has been discussion on this.  Apparently, there is a doctor at MD Anderson who specializes in treating leptomeningeal disease–some sort of specialized IL-2 treatment.

Mat
          Participant

Hannah, sorry to hear about your situation.  I can't answer your question, but in terms of options–do a search for leptomeningeal disease in this forum.  Within the past few months there has been discussion on this.  Apparently, there is a doctor at MD Anderson who specializes in treating leptomeningeal disease–some sort of specialized IL-2 treatment.

Mat
            Participant

joy_
              Participant

Hannah,

I cannot answer your question in regards to temodar, but my husband has leptomeningeal disease too.  He is being treated at MD Anderson by Dr. Papa with intrathecal IL2.

He is the only doctor in the world who does this treatment.  My husband was given the option of WBR at his previous treatment center, and we were told it was only palliative so we headed straight for MDA.  It is a ROUGH treatment but it has a pretty good success rate & Dr Papa has patients as many as 20 years out with this treatment.  If you want more info please let me know!

joy_
                  Participant

Just wanted to add that you have to act FAST though!

joy_
                    Participant

joy_
                      Participant

joy_
                      Participant

Hannah,

I cannot answer your question in regards to temodar, but my husband has leptomeningeal disease too.  He is being treated at MD Anderson by Dr. Papa with intrathecal IL2.

He is the only doctor in the world who does this treatment.  My husband was given the option of WBR at his previous treatment center, and we were told it was only palliative so we headed straight for MDA.  It is a ROUGH treatment but it has a pretty good success rate & Dr Papa has patients as many as 20 years out with this treatment.  If you want more info please let me know!

joy_
                        Participant

Hannah,

POW
                          Participant

Oh, Hannah, I am so sorry to hear this! I can't answer your questions about temodar because my brother was too debilitated to take it when it was offered. 

However, as others here have said, Dr. Nicholas Papadopoulos at MD Anderson is the one person who seems to have considerable experience and some success treating leptomenengial melanoma. Lepto is very aggressive, however, so you should contact Dr. Papas ASAP Phone (713) 792-2121.

Aldakota was the last person here to deal with lepto. Here is the thread where people talked about Dr. Papas and MD Anderson. http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/update-aldakota22

POW
                            Participant

Oh, Hannah, I am so sorry to hear this! I can't answer your questions about temodar because my brother was too debilitated to take it when it was offered. 

However, as others here have said, Dr. Nicholas Papadopoulos at MD Anderson is the one person who seems to have considerable experience and some success treating leptomenengial melanoma. Lepto is very aggressive, however, so you should contact Dr. Papas ASAP Phone (713) 792-2121.

Aldakota was the last person here to deal with lepto. Here is the thread where people talked about Dr. Papas and MD Anderson. http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/update-aldakota22

Cooper
                                Participant

The direct IL2 experience only prolonged life for someone dear to me for a very short time.  It wasn't worth the grueling experience of it.   Temodar is dacarbazine and not known to do a lot sadly.   Best bet is to move onto PD1 access if you can.  Boosting your immune system is top priority!~!

Cooper
                                  Participant

The direct IL2 experience only prolonged life for someone dear to me for a very short time.  It wasn't worth the grueling experience of it.   Temodar is dacarbazine and not known to do a lot sadly.   Best bet is to move onto PD1 access if you can.  Boosting your immune system is top priority!~!

Cooper
                                    Participant

I would go for braf/mek drugs if you can, they have shown to work on the brain.  IL2 and temodar are really old drugs.

Cooper
                                      Participant

I would go for braf/mek drugs if you can, they have shown to work on the brain.  IL2 and temodar are really old drugs.

Cooper
                                        Participant

joy_
                                          Participant

Intrathecal IL2 is definitely not for everyone, but I can say it is saving my husband from leptomeningeal disease.  Disease in the body and brain mets are now the obstacle for him. It is a tough treatment but if you are otherwise healthy and young and asymptomatic that is a big plus.

Dabrafenib is thought to have some effect on the brain, but I don't think will help when you are in the lepto camp.

joy_
                                            Participant

Intrathecal IL2 is definitely not for everyone, but I can say it is saving my husband from leptomeningeal disease.  Disease in the body and brain mets are now the obstacle for him. It is a tough treatment but if you are otherwise healthy and young and asymptomatic that is a big plus.

Dabrafenib is thought to have some effect on the brain, but I don't think will help when you are in the lepto camp.

joy_
                                              Participant

Meant to add that intrathecal IL2 is not the same treatment as systemic IL2.  Same drug but an off label use where it is administered via ommaya reservoir directly into CSF.

joy_
                                                Participant

Meant to add that intrathecal IL2 is not the same treatment as systemic IL2.  Same drug but an off label use where it is administered via ommaya reservoir directly into CSF.

POW
                                                  Participant

Joy, I am delighted to hear that your husband is responding to intrathecal IL-2 treatment! I will pray that he continues to improve and that he finds a treatment to shrink the other mets in his body. Melanoma warriors definitely have options you didn't have 3 or 4 years ago.

POW
                                                    Participant

Joy, I am delighted to hear that your husband is responding to intrathecal IL-2 treatment! I will pray that he continues to improve and that he finds a treatment to shrink the other mets in his body. Melanoma warriors definitely have options you didn't have 3 or 4 years ago.

POW
                                                      Participant

joy_
                                                        Participant

joy_
                                                          Participant

Cooper
                                                            Participant

POW
                                                            Participant

BrianP
                                                              Participant

Hannah,

So sorry what you are going through right now.  Prayers coming your way.  Looks like there's been some great info posted above.  Hope you are able to take advantage of some of it.

Brian

BrianP
                                                                Participant

Hannah,

So sorry what you are going through right now.  Prayers coming your way.  Looks like there's been some great info posted above.  Hope you are able to take advantage of some of it.

Brian

Cooper
                                                                    Participant

I think Hannah was asking about Temodar and no one responded about it.  It is nothing but a form of dacarbazine that has a low response rate.  I find it disturbing that some of you are pushing her to rush to MDA for an unproven, highly toxic drug regimen. Does anyone remember what Amy went through witht that here? One person responding in one place in their body doesn't prove anything.  So answer the question instead of pushing her somewhere else.

Janner
                                                                      Participant

Amy responded to the intrathecal il-2, but succumbed to other disease.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                        Participant

Amy Busby had her LEPT0 cleared up for the last 6 months of her life.  She died because, in spite of being promised re-entry to the BRAF trial if she could get the Lepto cleared, BMS refused to honor their word and let her die from the re-growth of the other internal tumors that were almost removed by the BRAF treatment before BMS said she had to stop the BRAF if she got the intrathecal il-2.  They did promise her re-entry if the lepto was cleared for 2 months.  They failed to keep their word to her and Dr Pappa.  I forwarded all the data from my extensive contacts with Amy to Snickers.   Her husband is started on it last year and is now even her caretaker while she is having other medical problems at present.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                          Participant

Amy Busby had her LEPT0 cleared up for the last 6 months of her life.  She died because, in spite of being promised re-entry to the BRAF trial if she could get the Lepto cleared, BMS refused to honor their word and let her die from the re-growth of the other internal tumors that were almost removed by the BRAF treatment before BMS said she had to stop the BRAF if she got the intrathecal il-2.  They did promise her re-entry if the lepto was cleared for 2 months.  They failed to keep their word to her and Dr Pappa.  I forwarded all the data from my extensive contacts with Amy to Snickers.   Her husband is started on it last year and is now even her caretaker while she is having other medical problems at present.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                            Participant

Janner
                                                                              Participant

Janner
                                                                                Participant

hannahcopeland1
                                                                                  Participant

Thank you. You hit the nail on the head

Cooper
                                                                                    Participant

And there is absolutely no proof that the MDA approach of IL2 going into the brain is curative, no studies, no nothing.  So it is just as well proven that other less toxic methods are feasible.  But you are not experts here to push someone to something as you have been. You don't know her situation at all and again she asked about temodar NOT IL2 shot into the brain.

Cooper
                                                                                      Participant

And there is absolutely no proof that the MDA approach of IL2 going into the brain is curative, no studies, no nothing.  So it is just as well proven that other less toxic methods are feasible.  But you are not experts here to push someone to something as you have been. You don't know her situation at all and again she asked about temodar NOT IL2 shot into the brain.

Cooper
                                                                                        Participant

Cooper
                                                                                          Participant

Yeah when folks push this hard for one treatment and doctor and in one place, makes you wonder who wrote the post!

BrianP
                                                                                            Participant

I find your post a little ironic based on the statement and the fact you signed it anonymously.

Hanah,

I hope you don't think people are being too pushy.  I think this community just really cares for one another and they are concerned for you.  I also hope those concerns haven't increased your stress level.  Everyone on this site offers advice based on their knowledge and experience.  I think there's few if any here that are doctors and therefore qualified to give medical advice but the information I've received here has been invaluable over the last few years.  When I post something I always hope that people give me as much information, good or bad, as they have and then it's up to me to take that information and do my due diligence.  Hopefully you can do the same with the info presented on this thread so far.

I will say that nearly everyone that posted advice for Hanah posted using their username and nearly everyone that had issue with that advice posted anonymously.  I think that is unfortunate because it often leads to less civility in the post.

I wish you well Hanah and will have you in my prayers as you find a suitable treatment plan.

Brian

BrianP
                                                                                              Participant

I find your post a little ironic based on the statement and the fact you signed it anonymously.

Hanah,

I hope you don't think people are being too pushy.  I think this community just really cares for one another and they are concerned for you.  I also hope those concerns haven't increased your stress level.  Everyone on this site offers advice based on their knowledge and experience.  I think there's few if any here that are doctors and therefore qualified to give medical advice but the information I've received here has been invaluable over the last few years.  When I post something I always hope that people give me as much information, good or bad, as they have and then it's up to me to take that information and do my due diligence.  Hopefully you can do the same with the info presented on this thread so far.

I will say that nearly everyone that posted advice for Hanah posted using their username and nearly everyone that had issue with that advice posted anonymously.  I think that is unfortunate because it often leads to less civility in the post.

I wish you well Hanah and will have you in my prayers as you find a suitable treatment plan.

Brian

Mat
                                                                                                Participant

Brian, well said–and I admire your restraint.

Mat
                                                                                                  Participant

Mat
                                                                                                    Participant

joy_
                                                                                                      Participant

Thank you for this post, Brian.  I could not agree with you more.

My intention in sharing my husband experience was only to share information.  I don't appreciate accusations by others here that I am "pushing" something.  Treatment decisions are very personal, and I have found this forum a valuable source of information and experiences.  When anonymous posters try to "silence" regular folks from sharing personal experiences that's when you have to be suspicious.  😉

I sincerely hope that others with Temador experience will chime in for Hannah and answer her question.

And Hannah, I sincerely wish you the very best in your journey.  God bless you.

joy

joy_
                                                                                                        Participant

My intention in sharing my husband experience was only to share information.  I don't appreciate accusations by others here that I am "pushing" something.  Treatment decisions are very personal, and I have found this forum a valuable source of information and experiences.  When anonymous posters try to "silence" regular folks from sharing personal experiences that's when you have to be suspicious.  😉

I sincerely hope that others with Temador experience will chime in for Hannah and answer her question.

joy

joy_
                                                                                                          Participant

joy

BrianP
                                                                                                            Participant

Hanah,

Brian

Cooper
                                                                                                              Participant

Yeah when folks push this hard for one treatment and doctor and in one place, makes you wonder who wrote the post!

Cooper
                                                                                                                Participant

hannahcopeland1
                                                                                                                  Participant

hannahcopeland1
                                                                                                                    Participant

Cooper
                                                                                                                      Participant

I think Hannah was asking about Temodar and no one responded about it.  It is nothing but a form of dacarbazine that has a low response rate.  I find it disturbing that some of you are pushing her to rush to MDA for an unproven, highly toxic drug regimen. Does anyone remember what Amy went through witht that here? One person responding in one place in their body doesn't prove anything.  So answer the question instead of pushing her somewhere else.

Cooper
                                                                                                                        Participant

BrianP
                                                                                                                        Participant

Hannah,

Brian

paul
                                                                                                                          Participant

Hi Hannah,

I took Temodar for a year. Minimal side-effects and some benefit. It helps as many people (@10%) as DTIC with fewer effects.

Good wishes to you.

Paul

paul
                                                                                                                            Participant

Hi Hannah,

I took Temodar for a year. Minimal side-effects and some benefit. It helps as many people (@10%) as DTIC with fewer effects.

Good wishes to you.

Paul

paul
                                                                                                                              Participant

Hi Hannah,

Good wishes to you.

Paul

Cooper
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Brian,

As if the user names are really their names?   I disagree that the intent was well intentioned but instead very pushy for someone in a very scary situation.  Suggesting she pull up stakes and rush to an unproven procedure far from home is not helpful. She asked about temodar and ended up with a lot more she didn't need.  

Cooper
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Brian,

As if the user names are really their names?   I disagree that the intent was well intentioned but instead very pushy for someone in a very scary situation.  Suggesting she pull up stakes and rush to an unproven procedure far from home is not helpful. She asked about temodar and ended up with a lot more she didn't need.  

Cooper
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Brian,

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                      Participant

I have not heard reports as to the effects of Temodar on LEPTO,  IN GENERAL, Temodar is considered more pallative than actually curative in MOST melanoma cases.  It has worked for a few.

Some people are too fearful of HD IL-2 short term side effects and many Doctors have not learned how to administer it.  It must be administered by anhhighly experienced IL-2 Oncologist with a highly experienced staff.   While it is an older treatment, that alone should not remove it from the options.  LEARN about all the options and who has experience with each.

Some of us are still alive due to the HD IL-2.  I am. I was give 30-180 days in 2007, before I tasked where I could get the IL-2.   I know others that after being a complete responder to HD IL-2 for over 30 months have remained clear of melanoma for over 20 years.  I know of no one that has been a complete responder to HD IL-2 for over 30 months and ever had a re-occurance.

The death rate from PD-1 in current clinical trials has been about the same as from the HD IL-2 clinical trials 20-30 years ago.  PD-1 so far may have longer term negatives side effects than IL-2.  So far there has been at least a short term, higher positive success rate with PD-1 than any other trial treatment.  It is hoped that one day it will have a cure longivity that approaches that of IL-2. 

Brian made many good points in his post above.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                        Participant

I have not heard reports as to the effects of Temodar on LEPTO,  IN GENERAL, Temodar is considered more pallative than actually curative in MOST melanoma cases.  It has worked for a few.

Some people are too fearful of HD IL-2 short term side effects and many Doctors have not learned how to administer it.  It must be administered by anhhighly experienced IL-2 Oncologist with a highly experienced staff.   While it is an older treatment, that alone should not remove it from the options.  LEARN about all the options and who has experience with each.

Some of us are still alive due to the HD IL-2.  I am. I was give 30-180 days in 2007, before I tasked where I could get the IL-2.   I know others that after being a complete responder to HD IL-2 for over 30 months have remained clear of melanoma for over 20 years.  I know of no one that has been a complete responder to HD IL-2 for over 30 months and ever had a re-occurance.

The death rate from PD-1 in current clinical trials has been about the same as from the HD IL-2 clinical trials 20-30 years ago.  PD-1 so far may have longer term negatives side effects than IL-2.  So far there has been at least a short term, higher positive success rate with PD-1 than any other trial treatment.  It is hoped that one day it will have a cure longivity that approaches that of IL-2. 

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Cooper
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Jerry, would love to see where you read that PD1 had same death rate as HD IL2 20 years plus ago.  That whole paragraph didn't make sense.  IL2 is very old and 94% of patients DON'T respond to it.  Having it poured into your brain has not been shown to work in any trial.  So again, folks shouldn't force their opinions without lots of evidence.

Cooper
                                                                                                                                                Participant

Jerry, would love to see where you read that PD1 had same death rate as HD IL2 20 years plus ago.  That whole paragraph didn't make sense.  IL2 is very old and 94% of patients DON'T respond to it.  Having it poured into your brain has not been shown to work in any trial.  So again, folks shouldn't force their opinions without lots of evidence.

Cooper
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Got the Death Rates from reading the IL-2 and PD-1 clinical trial reports.  20 to 23% of across the board melanoma patients did have a POSITIVE response to IL-2 in the majority of studies.  The lowest response rate I have seen in any study is 16%.  I and the others have not tried to force anyone into any treatment.  We have only told what our and our friends experiences have been.   We believe that people should know of all options and not be scared off by people that were not elgible for treatments they wanted, but were not elgible for, and so try to prevent others from learning ALL the options that are available.  Don't know what your problem with Dr. Pappa is, but many people are still alive due to having him as their Oncologist. 

We are not afraid to say who we are  and what our opinmions are,  I do not know where you pull your numbers from but have not seen them in any Peer Reviewed Journal articles.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Got the Death Rates from reading the IL-2 and PD-1 clinical trial reports.  20 to 23% of across the board melanoma patients did have a POSITIVE response to IL-2 in the majority of studies.  The lowest response rate I have seen in any study is 16%.  I and the others have not tried to force anyone into any treatment.  We have only told what our and our friends experiences have been.   We believe that people should know of all options and not be scared off by people that were not elgible for treatments they wanted, but were not elgible for, and so try to prevent others from learning ALL the options that are available.  Don't know what your problem with Dr. Pappa is, but many people are still alive due to having him as their Oncologist. 

We are not afraid to say who we are  and what our opinmions are,  I do not know where you pull your numbers from but have not seen them in any Peer Reviewed Journal articles.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

virginia washburn
                                                                                                                                                          Participant

OK people, why all the criticism of each other? This is suppose to be SUPPORT!! 

Anti PD-1 is still in study, expanded access. If you have ACTIVE BRAIN LESIONS, YOU DO NOT QUALIFY for the study, or if you have to take higher than 2 mg of Decadron.

If you are BRAF/MEK POSITIVE, you have a few more treatment options.

There is no clear, concise evidence that PD-1 is effective on Brain mets.

My husband is fighting this terrible disease. He has brain, lung and subcutaneous tumors. He has done 2 rounds of Ipi / Yervoy. He had extensive progression of disease while he was getting the last round of Ipi. 

We are now waiting for his next MRI on June 5 to see if he has any active brain lesions. I DO NOT have a good feeling about this. The last MRI he had at least 28!

Keep praying for a miracle, for the doctors to find a CURE for this awful disease.

Best of luck to everyone. Prayers.

virginia washburn
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Anti PD-1 is still in study, expanded access. If you have ACTIVE BRAIN LESIONS, YOU DO NOT QUALIFY for the study, or if you have to take higher than 2 mg of Decadron.

My husband is fighting this terrible disease. He has brain, lung and subcutaneous tumors. He has done 2 rounds of Ipi / Yervoy. He had extensive progression of disease while he was getting the last round of Ipi. 

We are now waiting for his next MRI on June 5 to see if he has any active brain lesions. I DO NOT have a good feeling about this. The last MRI he had at least 28!

Keep praying for a miracle, for the doctors to find a CURE for this awful disease.

virginia washburn
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

On Temodar

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                                                Participant

On Temodar

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

On Temodar

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics