The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Taflinar/Mekinest Round 2

Forums General Melanoma Community Taflinar/Mekinest Round 2

Participant

Hello everyone 

My husband was diagnosed in August 2015 stage IV melanoma with lung and brain mets, BRAF positive and can't find orgin. 

He received 1 Opdivo treatment which had to be terminated due to a severe reaction. It took approximately 6-8 weeks to clear it up with high doses of steroids. In this time he also received 10 WBRT and 2 SRS treatments. 

In November he started the Taflinar Mekinist combo. This made him severely lethargic, loss of appetite and dehydrated. He made it 4 weeks on the treatment before ending up admitted to the hospital on Christmas Eve with saddle pulmonary embolisms and DVTs. After multiple scans it showed that there was more brain mets, edema and hemorrhaging on his brain. They discontinued treatment and sent us home 6 days later on hospice care.

Which brings me to today.. He decided to try this treatment again and sign himself out of hospice. The latest pet scan, MRI and catscan showed significant progression and new signs of the metastic disease in both lungs (2 lesions one fairly large) and brain (15 mets-3 large that are hemorrhaging). Also in his right femoral chain. Hemorrhaging of lesions, swelling, Short term memory loss, seizures, loss of mobility are just some of the new symptoms. 

I support his decision to try this treatment again but  I can't help to think is it the right treatment?? I guess I just looking for some positive results or the honest truth from others that are in the same stage. 

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Hi SFlynn, I hope it works for your husband this time!!!! Best wishes from Ottawa, Canada!!! Ed

ed williams
          Participant

Hi SFlynn, I hope it works for your husband this time!!!! Best wishes from Ottawa, Canada!!! Ed

ed williams
            Participant

Sflynn
                Participant

Thank you Ed! 

Sflynn
                  Participant

Thank you Ed! 

Sflynn
                    Participant

Thank you Ed! 

Mat
                    Participant

Sorry to hear.  While there haven't been trials, there is clinical evidence that you can return to BRAF-MEK for a second (or third, etc.) run.  For example, I was able to get a bit of a second run with BRAF-MEK following an initial run of 18 months and then a 4 month "break" (during which I was on Keytruda).  That said, it doesn't sound like your husband had much of an initial run with BRAF-MEK, so I'm not sure I follow the logic of trying again.  If he is inclined to be aggressive (and there is a case for not being aggressive at some point), is chemo worth looking at (not curative, but perhaps would provide some time and stability to look for a clinical trial)?

Sflynn
                        Participant

Thanks for the input Mat.. He really didn't have much of a run do to all the other complications that came about. I've looked into some clinical studies and trials around us and unfortunately my husband was not on board. I'm not understanding the logic behind the second run again myself. 

Sflynn
                          Participant

Thanks for the input Mat.. He really didn't have much of a run do to all the other complications that came about. I've looked into some clinical studies and trials around us and unfortunately my husband was not on board. I'm not understanding the logic behind the second run again myself. 

Sflynn
                            Participant

Mat
                            Participant

Sorry to hear.  While there haven't been trials, there is clinical evidence that you can return to BRAF-MEK for a second (or third, etc.) run.  For example, I was able to get a bit of a second run with BRAF-MEK following an initial run of 18 months and then a 4 month "break" (during which I was on Keytruda).  That said, it doesn't sound like your husband had much of an initial run with BRAF-MEK, so I'm not sure I follow the logic of trying again.  If he is inclined to be aggressive (and there is a case for not being aggressive at some point), is chemo worth looking at (not curative, but perhaps would provide some time and stability to look for a clinical trial)?

Mat
                              Participant

Polymath
                                Participant

This is such a tough battle, we wish your husband and family the best.  I'm curious whether your doctor considered Zelboraf?  Based on his adverse reactions to the TAF/MEK combo, perhaps a different BRAF inhibitor could offer a different result.  Personally the Zel was very effective for me in quickly reducing tumor burden, but delivered very bad side-effects.  Then I switched to TAF/MEK, which was less effective, but had almost no side-effects whatsoever.  Since everyone is different, and your past experience with TAF/MEK had limited value, please find out if Zelboraf (Vemurafenib) could be an option to explore.

Gary

Polymath
                                  Participant

This is such a tough battle, we wish your husband and family the best.  I'm curious whether your doctor considered Zelboraf?  Based on his adverse reactions to the TAF/MEK combo, perhaps a different BRAF inhibitor could offer a different result.  Personally the Zel was very effective for me in quickly reducing tumor burden, but delivered very bad side-effects.  Then I switched to TAF/MEK, which was less effective, but had almost no side-effects whatsoever.  Since everyone is different, and your past experience with TAF/MEK had limited value, please find out if Zelboraf (Vemurafenib) could be an option to explore.

Gary

Polymath
                                    Participant

Gary

Sflynn
                                        Participant

Thank you for the recommendation on the Zelboraf. I will definitely look into it.. It seems with all these drugs there are so many horrible side effects. 

Sflynn
                                          Participant

Thank you for the recommendation on the Zelboraf. I will definitely look into it.. It seems with all these drugs there are so many horrible side effects. 

Sflynn
                                            Participant

Aussie Cookie
                                            Participant

I had a really bad reaction the the taf/mek combi when I went on it for the second time after pd1 treatment. I started really low doses and worked my way up to 5 days on 2 days off. It took about 8 months to get to that stage. I was stable for 16months. Good luck to your husband. They also have 50mg taf tablets which might be easier to tolerate.

Sflynn
                                                Participant

Thank you! He is on these 7 days a week no break. 4 Taf 1Mek. The last time he tried it he was on 6 Taf and 1 Mek a day. Glad to hear you had some stability on the meds. Good luck to you! 

Sflynn
                                                  Participant

Thank you! He is on these 7 days a week no break. 4 Taf 1Mek. The last time he tried it he was on 6 Taf and 1 Mek a day. Glad to hear you had some stability on the meds. Good luck to you! 

Sflynn
                                                    Participant

Aussie Cookie
                                                    Participant

I had a really bad reaction the the taf/mek combi when I went on it for the second time after pd1 treatment. I started really low doses and worked my way up to 5 days on 2 days off. It took about 8 months to get to that stage. I was stable for 16months. Good luck to your husband. They also have 50mg taf tablets which might be easier to tolerate.

Aussie Cookie
                                                      Participant

Bubbles
                                                        Participant

Sorry for all that you and your husband are dealing with. But, yes! Some folks can REgain a response to BRAFi….http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/01/brafi-after-braf-inhibitorscan-you.html

Hopefully he can use BRAFi to at least diminish his tumor burden so he can move to another treatment option. Given your situation, it is hard to think what that might be. Perhaps this will help…http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/04/hope-after-standard-melanoma.html

I wish you and your husband my best. Celeste

Bubbles
                                                          Participant

Sorry for all that you and your husband are dealing with. But, yes! Some folks can REgain a response to BRAFi….http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/01/brafi-after-braf-inhibitorscan-you.html

Hopefully he can use BRAFi to at least diminish his tumor burden so he can move to another treatment option. Given your situation, it is hard to think what that might be. Perhaps this will help…http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/04/hope-after-standard-melanoma.html

Bubbles
                                                            Participant

Sflynn
                                                                Participant

Thank you Celeste. 

Sflynn
                                                                  Participant

Thank you Celeste. 

Sflynn
                                                                    Participant

Thank you Celeste. 

Issy
                                                                    Participant

YES, you can return for a second time on the BRAF /MEK.  My brother was on the initial trial got a good 16 months on this until progression. Went off did some immunotherapy and then went back on with ANOTHER good 16 months. Now he is on a different treatment. The idea is hopefully with some time off you can go back on. My brother suggested this to his doctor and he said lets give it a try even though there was not a lot of data. But this is now an option.

Praying for the best for you.

Issy
                                                                      Participant

YES, you can return for a second time on the BRAF /MEK.  My brother was on the initial trial got a good 16 months on this until progression. Went off did some immunotherapy and then went back on with ANOTHER good 16 months. Now he is on a different treatment. The idea is hopefully with some time off you can go back on. My brother suggested this to his doctor and he said lets give it a try even though there was not a lot of data. But this is now an option.

Issy
                                                                        Participant

Sflynn
                                                                          Participant

Well.. My update to my last post is not how I thought it would be.. My husband tried a second round of Taf/Mek after it failing the 1st time. He made it 12 weeks this time. He had a repeat MRI and catscan After having to take him to the e.r. For severe head and ear pain. He was admitted due to complications to the progression of the disease. Even on treatment he developed new brain mets, total of 18 now. Ranging in size 10mm all the way up to 3x3cm and is starting to invade the dura on his right temporal lobe..All mets now have started all to hemorrhage. An increase in steroids and anti seizure meds seem to be doing nothing!! Docs are not hopeful being that he is almost 1 year diagnosed. This disease is horrible!!! 

Sflynn
                                                                            Participant

Well.. My update to my last post is not how I thought it would be.. My husband tried a second round of Taf/Mek after it failing the 1st time. He made it 12 weeks this time. He had a repeat MRI and catscan After having to take him to the e.r. For severe head and ear pain. He was admitted due to complications to the progression of the disease. Even on treatment he developed new brain mets, total of 18 now. Ranging in size 10mm all the way up to 3x3cm and is starting to invade the dura on his right temporal lobe..All mets now have started all to hemorrhage. An increase in steroids and anti seizure meds seem to be doing nothing!! Docs are not hopeful being that he is almost 1 year diagnosed. This disease is horrible!!! 

Sflynn
                                                                              Participant

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics