The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Tafinlar

Forums General Melanoma Community Tafinlar

Participant
      Hi everyone,
      So I just started my first dose of Tafinlar.
      I’m pretty nervous and excited.

I landed in the hospital again 2 weeks ago for 4 days. I’ll keep you posted.

Hi everyone,
      So I just started my first dose of Tafinlar.
      I’m pretty nervous and excited.

I landed in the hospital again 2 weeks ago for 4 days. I’ll keep you posted.

Viewing 12 reply threads
    • Replies
        King
        Participant

Hoping and praying that you have a great response with minimal side effects.  Do keep us posted.  Stay out of the hospital.  ๐Ÿ™‚

One day at a time.

Stay Strong

King/Kathie

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

King
          Participant

Hoping and praying that you have a great response with minimal side effects.  Do keep us posted.  Stay out of the hospital.  ๐Ÿ™‚

One day at a time.

Stay Strong

King/Kathie

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

King
            Participant

One day at a time.

Stay Strong

King/Kathie

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

Owl
              Participant

Karen, good to hear from you. I cross my fingers, hope you will have a great response.

All the best, Jenny

Owl
                Participant

Karen, good to hear from you. I cross my fingers, hope you will have a great response.

All the best, Jenny

Owl
                  Participant

All the best, Jenny

POW
                    Participant

Hi, Karen-

Under the circumstances I think that I would be "nervous and excited", too. I'm casting a strong "whammy" your way that the Taflinar works for you quickly and with very few side effects. 

I am a little confused, though. I thought you were going to participate in the Merck anti-PD1 trial but now you're taking Tafinlar (dabrafenib)? Did you change your mind about the PD-1 trial or are you going to try that later or what? 

Anyway, I have high hopes for the Tafinlar. You go, girl! WHAMMY!! smiley

POW
                      Participant

Hi, Karen-

Under the circumstances I think that I would be "nervous and excited", too. I'm casting a strong "whammy" your way that the Taflinar works for you quickly and with very few side effects. 

I am a little confused, though. I thought you were going to participate in the Merck anti-PD1 trial but now you're taking Tafinlar (dabrafenib)? Did you change your mind about the PD-1 trial or are you going to try that later or what? 

POW
                        Participant

Hi, Karen-

Mat
                          Participant

Hi,

I posted on my experience with the Tafinlar-Mekinist combo a week or so ago.  I've now been on it for 3 weeks.  Recognizing that the treatment is only a "bridge", I've had outstanding results.  A subcutaneous tumor on my shoulder (4 cm) started to shrink within 2-3 days (it is now almost gone) and I also started to "feel better" within that same time frame–give it at least a week, however.  The organ that was most "at risk" for me was the liver–and I had a decent amount of liver sensation/pain, particularly in bed.  Gone within a week!  And my liver functions are now essentially normal.  I also had a small brain met that was identified before I started the combo.  I had it gamma-knifed last week and the MRI showed that it had shrunk by 25% while I was on the combo.  On the other hand, I developed a jaw tumor before I started the combo and lost some feeling in my mouth.  The combo has not (yet) resolved that.  A minor nuisance in the scheme of things.

As for side effects–keep in mind that I'm on the combo, not Tafinlar alone.  Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself, but I have had very few side effects.  Some joint pain (particularly hips) early on, but that seems to have resolved.  Some "skin thickening" on my forehead.  Minor and manageable stuff. 

I hope you get similar results and have an easy time with any side effects.

Mat

Mat
                            Participant

Hi,

I posted on my experience with the Tafinlar-Mekinist combo a week or so ago.  I've now been on it for 3 weeks.  Recognizing that the treatment is only a "bridge", I've had outstanding results.  A subcutaneous tumor on my shoulder (4 cm) started to shrink within 2-3 days (it is now almost gone) and I also started to "feel better" within that same time frame–give it at least a week, however.  The organ that was most "at risk" for me was the liver–and I had a decent amount of liver sensation/pain, particularly in bed.  Gone within a week!  And my liver functions are now essentially normal.  I also had a small brain met that was identified before I started the combo.  I had it gamma-knifed last week and the MRI showed that it had shrunk by 25% while I was on the combo.  On the other hand, I developed a jaw tumor before I started the combo and lost some feeling in my mouth.  The combo has not (yet) resolved that.  A minor nuisance in the scheme of things.

As for side effects–keep in mind that I'm on the combo, not Tafinlar alone.  Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself, but I have had very few side effects.  Some joint pain (particularly hips) early on, but that seems to have resolved.  Some "skin thickening" on my forehead.  Minor and manageable stuff. 

Mat

Mat
                              Participant

Hi,

Mat

NYKaren
                                Participant
                                  I think I confuse myself sometimes too! Because of the brain mets that had developed within a relatively short period of time, the really severe ear/scalp pain, etc….they (the onc’s) felt that I was being “untreated” for too long. It’s been very interesting to see my husband’s new role here…have a good night, my good friends.
                                  Karen
                                  NYKaren
                                  Participant
                                    I think I confuse myself sometimes too! Because of the brain mets that had developed within a relatively short period of time, the really severe ear/scalp pain, etc….they (the onc’s) felt that I was being “untreated” for too long. It’s been very interesting to see my husband’s new role here…have a good night, my good friends.
                                    Karen
                                    NYKaren
                                    Participant
                                      Karen
                                      awillett1991
                                      Participant
                                        Karen – just thinking of you and I hope all is going well with the new drug. You sure have been through the ringer, keep fighting!

Amy

awillett1991
                                        Participant
                                          Karen – just thinking of you and I hope all is going well with the new drug. You sure have been through the ringer, keep fighting!

Amy

awillett1991
                                          Participant

Amy

Viewing 12 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics