The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Tafinlar Mekinist and an oncology nightmare

Forums General Melanoma Community Tafinlar Mekinist and an oncology nightmare

Participant

My husband started Taf/Mek combo six weeks ago. He had no side effects for the first four weeks. For the past 10-14 days fatigue set in. He can no longer walk upstairs. We've been to the oncologist twice in as many days.  The Dr ordered blood work on Tuesday and everything was normal. She also did a simple muscle test during his visit and said his muscles were fine. That was this past Tuesday. On Thursday he had fever and chills and I called the oncology RN ( Kaiser) to get a message to his onco and advise of what to do. I finally got a call from the Oncology Pharmacist and was told fever and chills are common on the combo and give him Tylenol. At that time I was told that fatigue is also a common side effect and he should take Percocet if he can't climb stairs. Ten minutes after that call the oncologist RN called to let me know that if any other questions arise I should first call his primary care physician. WHAT?  My husband's quality of life has gone downhill quickly. I'm new to all of this and I'm very confused, my husband is upset and I think it's wrong. I would think the oncologist should oversee his health and order further tests at this point. Is this normal?  I would appreciate any input. 

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        csellers23
        Participant
          I think you have to have thick skin. If you think something is wrong then call i do anyway. Thats why they get paid the big bucks. My husband had a fever when i called the first time the nurse said don’t you know that can be a side affect. I said its 103 and i cant get it to break. She said she would talk to the doc and call me back this was at 2pm at 8pm still no call i called back got a dr that was on call. She said he needs to needs to be here. Why did the nurse act like i was over reacting when the other said get here. They kept him for 3 days and had to put him on new meds to keep it down. Hes been in bed since. My point is you know him best your with him all the time and know when things arent right. I read alot online but i dont know as much as the doc. And if i get on there nerves or they treat me as im dumb thats ok as long as my minds at peace. My thoughts anyways. Good luck to yall.
            Frank Two
            Participant

Thanks for your reply Crystale. My skin is getting thicker and I can't wait for Monday to call and be more demanding.  The diagnosis alone is enough to have everyone spinning and adding additional stress because you can't get answers is unexcetable.  You are right, you do whatever it takes to make things happen. Keep up the fight and I'll do the same for the people we love!  

Paula Anne

Frank Two
              Participant

Thanks for your reply Crystale. My skin is getting thicker and I can't wait for Monday to call and be more demanding.  The diagnosis alone is enough to have everyone spinning and adding additional stress because you can't get answers is unexcetable.  You are right, you do whatever it takes to make things happen. Keep up the fight and I'll do the same for the people we love!  

Paula Anne

Frank Two
                Participant

Paula Anne

Marianne quinn
                  Participant

We have kaiser also. I have not had an experience as bad as yours. Your husband sounds sick . I do not think his primary knows crap about the meds. Take him to the ER and refuse to leave until you are satisfied. If necessary, demand they call the patient advocate., Good luck

Marianne quinn
                    Participant

We have kaiser also. I have not had an experience as bad as yours. Your husband sounds sick . I do not think his primary knows crap about the meds. Take him to the ER and refuse to leave until you are satisfied. If necessary, demand they call the patient advocate., Good luck

Frank Two
                      Participant

My plan for tomorrow is to get his therapy moving in the right direction. Thank you for your reply!

Paula Anne

Frank Two
                        Participant

My plan for tomorrow is to get his therapy moving in the right direction. Thank you for your reply!

Paula Anne

Frank Two
                          Participant

Paula Anne

Marianne quinn
                            Participant

csellers23
                            Participant
                              I think you have to have thick skin. If you think something is wrong then call i do anyway. Thats why they get paid the big bucks. My husband had a fever when i called the first time the nurse said don’t you know that can be a side affect. I said its 103 and i cant get it to break. She said she would talk to the doc and call me back this was at 2pm at 8pm still no call i called back got a dr that was on call. She said he needs to needs to be here. Why did the nurse act like i was over reacting when the other said get here. They kept him for 3 days and had to put him on new meds to keep it down. Hes been in bed since. My point is you know him best your with him all the time and know when things arent right. I read alot online but i dont know as much as the doc. And if i get on there nerves or they treat me as im dumb thats ok as long as my minds at peace. My thoughts anyways. Good luck to yall.
                              csellers23
                              Participant
                                Bubbles
                                Participant

Sorry you and your husband are dealing with this.  I agree with Marrianne…if you are worried….demand answers and if really worried…go to the ER until you get them.  The drugs your husband is taking come with significant side effects for many.  These can often be dealt with via a small break from meds followed by a reduced dose or an every-other-day type dosing pattern.

Here are the side effects articles site as common with BRAF/MEK combo's:  The most common (at least 20% incidence) side effects experienced with the combination were:  fever, chills, fatigue, rash, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, peripheral edema, cough, headache, arthralgia, night sweats, decreased appetite, constipation, and myalgia.  The most frequent complicated adverse events (with at least a 5% incidence) were:  acute renal failure, fever, hemorrhage, and back pain.

Here is an article specifically addressing fever:  Features and management of pyrexia with combined dabrafenib and trametinib in metastatic melanoma.
                                  Lee, Menzies, Haydu, et al.  Melanoma Res. 2014 July 22.

CombiDT (dabrafenib and trametinib) is an effective treatment for BRAF-mutant metastatic melanoma.  However, over 70% of patients develop drug-related pyrexia [fever].  32 patients reviewed.  14 (44%) developed pyrexia.  Fever was recurrent in 11/14.  Pyrexia was not associated with age, sex, disease burden, RECIST response, progression-free, nor overall survival.  Paracetamol, NSAIDs and/or dose reduction were ineffective secondary prophylaxis for pyrexia, whereas corticosteroids were effective in all patients.  In patients with previous dose reductions who commenced steroids, CombiDT doses were re-escalated without pyrexia.

There is much more info about BRAF/MEK combo's on my blog (use the bubble to search) if you are interested. 

However, the hard part is that while the fatigue, fever and chills your husband is experiencing could well be from the drugs he is taking….they could be caused by other things as well.  Either way….he needs to be treated….for side effects…..or for whatever is causing the symptoms.

Not sure if that helps much…but I figure knowledge is power. Hang in there.  Celeste

Bubbles
                                  Participant

Sorry you and your husband are dealing with this.  I agree with Marrianne…if you are worried….demand answers and if really worried…go to the ER until you get them.  The drugs your husband is taking come with significant side effects for many.  These can often be dealt with via a small break from meds followed by a reduced dose or an every-other-day type dosing pattern.

Here are the side effects articles site as common with BRAF/MEK combo's:  The most common (at least 20% incidence) side effects experienced with the combination were:  fever, chills, fatigue, rash, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, peripheral edema, cough, headache, arthralgia, night sweats, decreased appetite, constipation, and myalgia.  The most frequent complicated adverse events (with at least a 5% incidence) were:  acute renal failure, fever, hemorrhage, and back pain.

Here is an article specifically addressing fever:  Features and management of pyrexia with combined dabrafenib and trametinib in metastatic melanoma.

CombiDT (dabrafenib and trametinib) is an effective treatment for BRAF-mutant metastatic melanoma.  However, over 70% of patients develop drug-related pyrexia [fever].  32 patients reviewed.  14 (44%) developed pyrexia.  Fever was recurrent in 11/14.  Pyrexia was not associated with age, sex, disease burden, RECIST response, progression-free, nor overall survival.  Paracetamol, NSAIDs and/or dose reduction were ineffective secondary prophylaxis for pyrexia, whereas corticosteroids were effective in all patients.  In patients with previous dose reductions who commenced steroids, CombiDT doses were re-escalated without pyrexia.

There is much more info about BRAF/MEK combo's on my blog (use the bubble to search) if you are interested. 

However, the hard part is that while the fatigue, fever and chills your husband is experiencing could well be from the drugs he is taking….they could be caused by other things as well.  Either way….he needs to be treated….for side effects…..or for whatever is causing the symptoms.

Not sure if that helps much…but I figure knowledge is power. Hang in there.  Celeste

G-Samsa
                                      Participant

Not that it know much about pharmacy-and this may be a small detail– but Tylenol on top of the combination drug Percocet is a lot of Tylenol.  My doctors have specifically prescribed Oxycodone (straight-up) to avoid excess Tylenol because of  potential liver toxicity.  I'd just be sure the right hand knows what the left is up to.

G-Samsa
                                        Participant

Not that it know much about pharmacy-and this may be a small detail– but Tylenol on top of the combination drug Percocet is a lot of Tylenol.  My doctors have specifically prescribed Oxycodone (straight-up) to avoid excess Tylenol because of  potential liver toxicity.  I'd just be sure the right hand knows what the left is up to.

G-Samsa
                                          Participant

Frank Two
                                            Participant

Thank you Celeste for all the information and your support. This is so new to me that I don't know exactly how to react to what Kaiser expects of me as a caregiver (but my first role is the wife of a man that is being treated as though he doesn't matter). I will be more aggressive and dismiss the comments to every "emergency" with that blood sucking "It will only get worse" garbage. I have hope, my husband remains with a positive attitude and we have our faith. We can do this with support with people like you and all the others. Thank you again! 

Paula Anne

Frank Two
                                              Participant

Thank you Celeste for all the information and your support. This is so new to me that I don't know exactly how to react to what Kaiser expects of me as a caregiver (but my first role is the wife of a man that is being treated as though he doesn't matter). I will be more aggressive and dismiss the comments to every "emergency" with that blood sucking "It will only get worse" garbage. I have hope, my husband remains with a positive attitude and we have our faith. We can do this with support with people like you and all the others. Thank you again! 

Paula Anne

Frank Two
                                                Participant

Paula Anne

Bubbles
                                                Participant

arthurjedi007
                                                  Participant

I was on the Taf/Mek combo a couple months. This is a highly specialized medicine and hopefully the doc prescribing it knows what they are doing. I would think the prescribing doc should be responsible for the care but what do I know.

Anyway fevers are very common. I had a 103 and didn't even know it because I felt ok. Of course those fevers need to be gotten down.

I didn't have fatigue with this med but I did for zelboraf. I would sit in my recliner for hours and just not be able to move. I would try to cross the room to the bathroom and it would just be one small step at a time with the wall to support me to keep me from falling. Not easy. So yes I can see these meds causing fatigue.

Now what can be done is what they call a med holiday. If your doc isn't familiar with these meds they probably don't know about it. My doc knew and it was amazing. Basically it's taking about 2 to 3 days without the medicine. I was totally suprised what a difference it made and going back on it was easier. You might want to ask your doc about it.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                    Participant

I was on the Taf/Mek combo a couple months. This is a highly specialized medicine and hopefully the doc prescribing it knows what they are doing. I would think the prescribing doc should be responsible for the care but what do I know.

Anyway fevers are very common. I had a 103 and didn't even know it because I felt ok. Of course those fevers need to be gotten down.

I didn't have fatigue with this med but I did for zelboraf. I would sit in my recliner for hours and just not be able to move. I would try to cross the room to the bathroom and it would just be one small step at a time with the wall to support me to keep me from falling. Not easy. So yes I can see these meds causing fatigue.

Now what can be done is what they call a med holiday. If your doc isn't familiar with these meds they probably don't know about it. My doc knew and it was amazing. Basically it's taking about 2 to 3 days without the medicine. I was totally suprised what a difference it made and going back on it was easier. You might want to ask your doc about it.

Artie

Frank Two
                                                        Participant

Artie thank you for your reply. I have read posts about the med holiday but have not discussed it with his onc or onc pharmacist. Frank's combo treatment is overseen by the oncology pharmacist team via a telephone appointment. I am a novice but I am learning so much from this forum and still looking up what some of the shorthand refers to ie NED. I found that is a great thing!!  I will talk to somebody on Monday and get real answers and insist on any necessary test, and it won't be his primary physician.  Fight, fight, fight. The best to you. 

Paula Anne

Frank Two
                                                          Participant

Artie thank you for your reply. I have read posts about the med holiday but have not discussed it with his onc or onc pharmacist. Frank's combo treatment is overseen by the oncology pharmacist team via a telephone appointment. I am a novice but I am learning so much from this forum and still looking up what some of the shorthand refers to ie NED. I found that is a great thing!!  I will talk to somebody on Monday and get real answers and insist on any necessary test, and it won't be his primary physician.  Fight, fight, fight. The best to you. 

Paula Anne

Frank Two
                                                            Participant

Paula Anne

arthurjedi007
                                                            Participant

Artie

Mat
                                                              Participant

Frank Two, I've been on the combo for more than a year.  Thankfully, no material side effects.  I've also had ipi and did have what I considered to be fatigue.  At no point was the fatigue so bad that I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs.  That sounds like extreme fatigue and I've not seen others report that kind of fatigue from the combo.  I agree with your reaction that you need to speak directly with the onc.

Frank Two
                                                                  Participant

I will make it happen. I'm educating myself and I believe that life doesn't end with a diagnosis, a new journey begins and we will fight hard for the proper treatment. Thank you for your supportive post!

Paula Anne

marta010
                                                                    Participant

Paula Anne – my husband has been on Tafinlar for 14 months.  During that time, he's experienced several bouts with fevers and chills and ended up in the hospital a couple of times.  He's never been able to tolerate the Mekinist portion of the combo but we are finally to point where he's been able to work his way up to the full dose of Tafinlar.  Your husband may need to try half dose or every other day dosing with a gradual increase to full dose.  In addition, my husband takes Indomethacin for the fevers.  Stay strong – I know it's so difficult to be an advocate for your loved one when the professionals don't seem to know what's going on!  

marta010
                                                                      Participant

Paula Anne – my husband has been on Tafinlar for 14 months.  During that time, he's experienced several bouts with fevers and chills and ended up in the hospital a couple of times.  He's never been able to tolerate the Mekinist portion of the combo but we are finally to point where he's been able to work his way up to the full dose of Tafinlar.  Your husband may need to try half dose or every other day dosing with a gradual increase to full dose.  In addition, my husband takes Indomethacin for the fevers.  Stay strong – I know it's so difficult to be an advocate for your loved one when the professionals don't seem to know what's going on!  

marta010
                                                                        Participant

Frank Two
                                                                          Participant

I will make it happen. I'm educating myself and I believe that life doesn't end with a diagnosis, a new journey begins and we will fight hard for the proper treatment. Thank you for your supportive post!

Paula Anne

Frank Two
                                                                            Participant

Paula Anne

Mat
                                                                            Participant

Frank Two, I've been on the combo for more than a year.  Thankfully, no material side effects.  I've also had ipi and did have what I considered to be fatigue.  At no point was the fatigue so bad that I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs.  That sounds like extreme fatigue and I've not seen others report that kind of fatigue from the combo.  I agree with your reaction that you need to speak directly with the onc.

Mat
                                                                              Participant

paul Lyons
                                                                                Participant

Hello Frank,

I've been on MEK combo for about eight months. Have had several bouts of fevers/chills (none recently). One time I went to the ER and was given fluids–they mostly check for what is causing the fever, to make sure that it's not caused by an infection. I try to stay well-hydrated, and when I'm feeling light-headed or fatigued often drinking a sports drink, like Gatorade, will relieve it somewhat. Often the RN is more up-to-date than the oncologist about side-effects–especially in places where there have not yet been many MEK patients. If the difficulty climbing the stairs was the result of fatigue, that sounds unusual–if it's because of the severe foot soreness that comes seemingly randomly, it's totally normal and will likely pass. Hang in there.

Paul

paul Lyons
                                                                                  Participant

Hello Frank,

I've been on MEK combo for about eight months. Have had several bouts of fevers/chills (none recently). One time I went to the ER and was given fluids–they mostly check for what is causing the fever, to make sure that it's not caused by an infection. I try to stay well-hydrated, and when I'm feeling light-headed or fatigued often drinking a sports drink, like Gatorade, will relieve it somewhat. Often the RN is more up-to-date than the oncologist about side-effects–especially in places where there have not yet been many MEK patients. If the difficulty climbing the stairs was the result of fatigue, that sounds unusual–if it's because of the severe foot soreness that comes seemingly randomly, it's totally normal and will likely pass. Hang in there.

Paul

paul Lyons
                                                                                    Participant

Hello Frank,

Paul

Lil0909
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        Fist off, I can’t believe they said to see your pcp! Your onc should definitely be handling any side effects and complications. I would definitely have a talk with your onc about this and make sure they are on board.

I’m not on this drug, but I do have some insight on the fevers. I get insanse fevers with my treatment – interferon (105 on many occasions, 103 – 102 occurs at least weekly, and I have at least some form of fever 3 days a week…. even after dose reductions).

So my fever “tips” based on Dr instructions and my exexperience for nights I know are going to be really bad (104 – 105)… 1. Drink a TON of water before, during, and after fever. 2. Take 2 regular strength Tylenol every 6 hours, and 2 to 3 ibproffin every 6 hours, alternating (so you are taking something every 3 hours) until fever breaks. I know it seems like a lot, but having a high fever isn’t safe either, you need to get it to break! 3. I take an oxicoton (low dose) when I take my shot to reduce pain. 4. If fever gets to 105, no blankets, ice packs on head, air conditioner blasting on me ( I have a unit right next to my bed). …. if I can’t get 105 fever to break within an hour with these tricks, it’s hospital time.

On a more regular basis, when i expect a fever of 102 – 103 or below, I usually just do 1 or 2 doses of advil, lots of water, and just tough it out bc the fever usually doesn’t last more than 12 hours.

I’m not a Dr, and we are on different treatments, so please consult with your onc before just taking my advice. I just really empathize with high fevers and fatigue, and this is what has worked best for me after many nights of trial and error while in agony. Hopefully you can tailor my “tips” to your situation. Good luck with everything! I’m off to a lovely night of fever myself.

AnitaLoree
                                                                                          Participant

Hi Frank Two:  I can't comment on the Taf/Mek combo as my husband's BRAF neg and just started Keytruda.  But, I can comment on Kaiser.  Sounds like you have the 1st onc my husband was assigned: only call the onc RN, call your PCP, don't email her (onc MD), plus she cancelled appt's, office visit every other month, phone conference every other month, don't call her.  We were highly disappointed with her conduct,limited support and got a different onc.  He's great, we can email him, gets himself up to speed where he doesn't have the answers.  You should have an onc doctor you can trust and respect professionally.  It shouldn't have to be an uphill battle with your doctor.  You have enough on your plate.  Bubbles refs are very valuable.  You do have to become knowledgeable about what's best treatment for side effects from particular melanoma therapy because hospital staff aren't melanoma specialists.  You do have to stand your ground with Kaiser. You have to know what you want and advocate for it. You can request a different doctor.  Best wishes for husband  feeling better soon. A.L.

AnitaLoree
                                                                                            Participant

Hi Frank Two:  I can't comment on the Taf/Mek combo as my husband's BRAF neg and just started Keytruda.  But, I can comment on Kaiser.  Sounds like you have the 1st onc my husband was assigned: only call the onc RN, call your PCP, don't email her (onc MD), plus she cancelled appt's, office visit every other month, phone conference every other month, don't call her.  We were highly disappointed with her conduct,limited support and got a different onc.  He's great, we can email him, gets himself up to speed where he doesn't have the answers.  You should have an onc doctor you can trust and respect professionally.  It shouldn't have to be an uphill battle with your doctor.  You have enough on your plate.  Bubbles refs are very valuable.  You do have to become knowledgeable about what's best treatment for side effects from particular melanoma therapy because hospital staff aren't melanoma specialists.  You do have to stand your ground with Kaiser. You have to know what you want and advocate for it. You can request a different doctor.  Best wishes for husband  feeling better soon. A.L.

AnitaLoree
                                                                                              Participant

Lil0909
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                Fist off, I can’t believe they said to see your pcp! Your onc should definitely be handling any side effects and complications. I would definitely have a talk with your onc about this and make sure they are on board.

I’m not on this drug, but I do have some insight on the fevers. I get insanse fevers with my treatment – interferon (105 on many occasions, 103 – 102 occurs at least weekly, and I have at least some form of fever 3 days a week…. even after dose reductions).

So my fever “tips” based on Dr instructions and my exexperience for nights I know are going to be really bad (104 – 105)… 1. Drink a TON of water before, during, and after fever. 2. Take 2 regular strength Tylenol every 6 hours, and 2 to 3 ibproffin every 6 hours, alternating (so you are taking something every 3 hours) until fever breaks. I know it seems like a lot, but having a high fever isn’t safe either, you need to get it to break! 3. I take an oxicoton (low dose) when I take my shot to reduce pain. 4. If fever gets to 105, no blankets, ice packs on head, air conditioner blasting on me ( I have a unit right next to my bed). …. if I can’t get 105 fever to break within an hour with these tricks, it’s hospital time.

On a more regular basis, when i expect a fever of 102 – 103 or below, I usually just do 1 or 2 doses of advil, lots of water, and just tough it out bc the fever usually doesn’t last more than 12 hours.

I’m not a Dr, and we are on different treatments, so please consult with your onc before just taking my advice. I just really empathize with high fevers and fatigue, and this is what has worked best for me after many nights of trial and error while in agony. Hopefully you can tailor my “tips” to your situation. Good luck with everything! I’m off to a lovely night of fever myself.

Lil0909
                                                                                                Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics