The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Tafinlar and Mekinist

Forums General Melanoma Community Tafinlar and Mekinist

Participant

I met with my oncologist today after my pet scan and he advised me that my melanoma had "exploded" in a short time and has spread to my lungs, liver, and other cutaneous sites.  The number of nodules was innumberable.  I am being tested for the BRAF gene and if I have the mutation, he is suggesting a combination of Tafinlar and Mekinist.  It would be great to hear if anyone has undergone a similar treatment regiment and what their experiences have been and what side effects they experienced.  Thank you.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Steve2142
        Participant

Also curious what the cost is and how much insurance covers.  Thank you.

Steve2142
          Participant

Steve2142
            Participant

Mat
              Participant

Steve, I've had a great experience with the combo (as have many others).  See my prior posts.  Commercial insurance covers the meds, subject to my co-pay.

Mat
                Participant

Steve, I've had a great experience with the combo (as have many others).  See my prior posts.  Commercial insurance covers the meds, subject to my co-pay.

Mat
                  Participant

Mat
                      Participant

Steve, sounds like you're treatment naive.  If correct and your tumor burden is low (nodules are small tumors), consider taking a shot at the ipi/nivolumab trial.  More home run potential than the GSK combo.  Catherine Poole at Melanoma International just posted a link to the sites.  If you do the GSK combo, you will no longer be eligible for this trial.

Mat
                        Participant

Steve, sounds like you're treatment naive.  If correct and your tumor burden is low (nodules are small tumors), consider taking a shot at the ipi/nivolumab trial.  More home run potential than the GSK combo.  Catherine Poole at Melanoma International just posted a link to the sites.  If you do the GSK combo, you will no longer be eligible for this trial.

Mat
                          Participant

MattF
                          Participant

Steve… where are you from and herr being treated?

I am stge 4 with mets to bones, brain, and free stnding sub q's

aggressive 4 back in Dec 2013 ….i did combo 10,000 each a month but my ins covered it…except for co pay.

they worked pt=retty well for 8 months then spread in bones….

did yervoy in aug…..

currently on ketruda…..ighting mets.

on combo i did have some fatigue and vomiting'

M

Cooper
                              Participant

here is more information about the immunotherapy combo if you are BRAF neg and interestehttp://forum.melanomainternational.org/mif/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=35453&p=46485#p46485d in this:

Cooper
                                Participant

here is more information about the immunotherapy combo if you are BRAF neg and interestehttp://forum.melanomainternational.org/mif/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=35453&p=46485#p46485d in this:

Cooper
                                  Participant

MattF
                                  Participant

aggressive 4 back in Dec 2013 ….i did combo 10,000 each a month but my ins covered it…except for co pay.

did yervoy in aug…..

M

MattF
                                    Participant

did yervoy in aug…..

M

kalisama
                                      Participant

I'm BRAF positive and was originally started on Zelbarof. I eventually failed with progressions, serindipitously at the same time the FDA approved Mek/Taf combo. I did well with it for a few months, NED, and the side effects for me compared to the Zelb were minimal if any. 

I'm on medicaid and was completely covered for my meds.

After 6 months or so of mek/taf I had 2 rogue tumors arise, one in my back and one in my breast, unusual for me, as I lean towards brain/CNS mets. We ceased this treatment 6 weeks ago, and I just had my 2nd Yervoy infusion Monday. 

Since I am with disease, I'm more or less a fail on the Yervoy and will likely be making my way to Keytruda within the month, before we bother with 3rd Yervoy infusion. There simply isn't time with the rate of my progression.

Hope this is of some help.

Bless,
                                        kali

kalisama
                                        Participant

I'm BRAF positive and was originally started on Zelbarof. I eventually failed with progressions, serindipitously at the same time the FDA approved Mek/Taf combo. I did well with it for a few months, NED, and the side effects for me compared to the Zelb were minimal if any. 

After 6 months or so of mek/taf I had 2 rogue tumors arise, one in my back and one in my breast, unusual for me, as I lean towards brain/CNS mets. We ceased this treatment 6 weeks ago, and I just had my 2nd Yervoy infusion Monday. 

Since I am with disease, I'm more or less a fail on the Yervoy and will likely be making my way to Keytruda within the month, before we bother with 3rd Yervoy infusion. There simply isn't time with the rate of my progression.

Bless,
                                          kali

kalisama
                                          Participant

Bless,
                                            kali

paul Lyons
                                            Participant

Hi Steve,

I've been on the MEK combo for about eight months, after having been on Zelboraf for four months. I've had fewer side effects on the MEK, and it seems to have kept my disease stable.

All the best to you,

Paul

paul Lyons
                                              Participant

Hi Steve,

I've been on the MEK combo for about eight months, after having been on Zelboraf for four months. I've had fewer side effects on the MEK, and it seems to have kept my disease stable.

All the best to you,

Paul

paul Lyons
                                                Participant

Hi Steve,

All the best to you,

Paul

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics