The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Taf/Mek Decisions – Help?

Forums General Melanoma Community Taf/Mek Decisions – Help?

Participant

I realized after I posted my last message that I should have used a more specific subject line so that those with Taf/Mek knowledge and experience would see it better. Here is my original post. I am wondering about the timing of the targeted therapy – is it better now when I have a low tumor burden or is it OK to wait until there is more progression? Thank you for your feedback.

Original post:

I recently posted that I have 4 new tumors in my right leg, hip, and lower back and that I also just recently found out I am BRAF positive. I did 3 doses of ipi/nivo and have been on just nivo for almost a year.

At my last appointment my doctor mentioned Tak/Mef, but now it seems she is pushing me to stay on nivo and postpone the targeted therapy. All I can get her to say when I ask why is that the progression is
      "slow" and Tak/Mek only stops progression for 10-11 months (in most people).

I have 2 pressing questions/thoughts.

1. While I know it's good that there is no progression to the lungs, etc. I am not understanding how 4 new tumors in 3 months (since the last PET scan) is "slow." Is that actually slow?

2. Why isn't it better to do the targeted therapy now when the tumor burden is low than to wait until it spreads more? I don't understand that part.

I have a nivo infusion tomorrow and will ask the nurse to make an appointment for me with my doctor so we can talk about this in person. (After our initial appt when she told me about the targeted therapy, I developed new questions and emailed her twice. Both times I got a one-sentence "answer." I know she is busy and generally just terrible at email, but this is important to me. I know she'll be better in person.)

So, what would you all do or recommend? Start Tak/Mef now or wait? I know you can't tell me what to do, but I guess I want to know if I'm wrong or unreasonable to think now would be better.

It's so hard to know what to do. I hate this disease. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Hi Christine, this is the best presentation that I have on targeted therapies. It features Dr. Weber and it is recent. Best Wishes!!!Ed  At around the 15 min mark he talks about long term survivors on targeted therapy.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBcRHFGTyGs

Bubbles
          Participant

Hi Christine,

I have shared this before, but I can't remember if it is a post I gave you.  Here Weber and Agarwala discuss choosing therapy – ie immunotherapy vs BRAFi ~   http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/09/pick-your-poison-weber-and-agarwala.html  

It is not terribly recent, but still gives some good basic info.  Hope it helps.  celeste

Hi Celeste,

Just wanted to say thankyou for the link.  Your summary very very informative and great info for me.

Best,

Jennifer

Christine.P
            Participant

Thank you, Ed, Celeste, and Jennifer. I was also able to get some answers from my oncologist today and we are, in fact, going to start Taf/Mek next week. The links you sent will be very helpful as I prepare for that.

Bubbles
                Participant

Hey Christine….since you are the point of deciding…thought this recent report on a BRAF/MEK combo might interest you:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/05/encorafenibbinimetinib-brafmek-combo.html  

I wish you well. celeste

Christine.P
                  Participant

Thanks, Celeste. I will be on the other drugs – dabrafenib and trametinib, but I imagine the results/prognosis is about the same. And for the record, I've decided to go ahead with the Taf/Mek now since I do have progression and we cant really say how "fast" it is. One reason is I figure it can give me up to a year of no progression now – or later – so it's kind of a toss up. If I'm wrong about that, no one has been able to say so… 

Gosh I hate this. 

Thank you for always answering my posts. I appreciate it very much. 

Bubbles
                    Participant

I think you are correct.  My consensus after reviewing that new combo was that it was good…and pretty equivalent to all the other BRAF/MEK combo's I could find to compare it to.  SO….that's a good thing.  I wish you well.  Keep us posted. C

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics