The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

TAF/MEK Combo

Forums General Melanoma Community TAF/MEK Combo

Participant

First I want to thank you all for the tremendous sharing of information there is on this site.  I come here quite often to do research and obtain info.

A few question for those of you that have been on this combo:

1)  How long did it take for the side effects to beging?

2) Has anyone ever had minimal side effects?

My husband just started this combo over the weekend and I'm watching him like a hawk.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Polymath
        Participant

Hi There,

You are doing the right thing to keep an eye on potential side-effects, but keep in mind everyone seems to be different.  The TAF/MEK combo for me was a breeze, virtually no side-effects, but it also appeared to have little effect.  Brought stablility for 4-5 months, before I progressed again.  Prior to TAF/MEK I did Zelboraf, another BRAF inhibitor.  I got every side-effect in the book.  It was the most miserable 3-months of my life, and although it worked very quickly, I mean days not weeks, I also progressed on it after a brief 3-months.  Bottom line, my experirince seems to support the notion that side-effects equal response so while you watch for any extreme adverse reactions, be mindful that they could be good signs that the drugs are working.

Polymath
          Participant

Hi There,

You are doing the right thing to keep an eye on potential side-effects, but keep in mind everyone seems to be different.  The TAF/MEK combo for me was a breeze, virtually no side-effects, but it also appeared to have little effect.  Brought stablility for 4-5 months, before I progressed again.  Prior to TAF/MEK I did Zelboraf, another BRAF inhibitor.  I got every side-effect in the book.  It was the most miserable 3-months of my life, and although it worked very quickly, I mean days not weeks, I also progressed on it after a brief 3-months.  Bottom line, my experirince seems to support the notion that side-effects equal response so while you watch for any extreme adverse reactions, be mindful that they could be good signs that the drugs are working.

Polymath
            Participant

Hi There,

Kristi A.
              Participant

Hello! I don't want to freak you out or anything but the side effects for me were terrible. I only lasted nine days on the combo. I felt fine the first few days…just some nausea.  By the 6th day I was experiencing high fevers/chills, joint pain, severe rash, headaches, swelling in hand/feet, fast heart rate (tachycardia…which still hasn't resolved), inside of mouth and lips sore to the point that I couldn't eat. On the ninth day I collapsed at home in front of my ten year old daughter. I was hospitalized for three days to try to get the side effects under control. Oncologist told me I had a bad reaction to the meds and he took me off them. I know that everyone responds differently so I hope the side effects are manageable for your husband and it doesn't hit him too hard. And of course…i hope he has an amazing reponse! If he starts having bad side effects, don't be afraid to call your oncologist. 

Kristi A.
                  Participant

Totally forgot to mention the good part…it shrunk a couple of my lung tumors and kept my axillary node stable. So even after only nine days I had a response. 

Kristi A.
                    Participant

Totally forgot to mention the good part…it shrunk a couple of my lung tumors and kept my axillary node stable. So even after only nine days I had a response. 

Kristi A.
                      Participant

Kristi A.
                      Participant

Hello! I don't want to freak you out or anything but the side effects for me were terrible. I only lasted nine days on the combo. I felt fine the first few days…just some nausea.  By the 6th day I was experiencing high fevers/chills, joint pain, severe rash, headaches, swelling in hand/feet, fast heart rate (tachycardia…which still hasn't resolved), inside of mouth and lips sore to the point that I couldn't eat. On the ninth day I collapsed at home in front of my ten year old daughter. I was hospitalized for three days to try to get the side effects under control. Oncologist told me I had a bad reaction to the meds and he took me off them. I know that everyone responds differently so I hope the side effects are manageable for your husband and it doesn't hit him too hard. And of course…i hope he has an amazing reponse! If he starts having bad side effects, don't be afraid to call your oncologist. 

Kristi A.
                        Participant

Mat
                          Participant

Minimal side effects for me.

Mat
                            Participant

Mat
                              Participant

Jahendry12
                                Participant

Thank you all for your responses.  Much appreciated.

Jahendry12
                                  Participant

Jahendry12
                                    Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics