The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Symtom after Gamma?

Forums General Melanoma Community Symtom after Gamma?

Participant

I just had gamma knife for 2 brain mets almost 1 month ago. I've had no symptoms so far, but my eye feels weird which happens to be on the same side as the larger tumour. Maybe this is the effects of radiation or maybe it's part of a sinus infection I'm being treated for (on the same side). My eye started out with slightly swollen eyelid and tearing – that went away, but now the eye feels weird. No double or blurry vision, just weird, like something isn't right – the vision is weird at times. The Dr.

I just had gamma knife for 2 brain mets almost 1 month ago. I've had no symptoms so far, but my eye feels weird which happens to be on the same side as the larger tumour. Maybe this is the effects of radiation or maybe it's part of a sinus infection I'm being treated for (on the same side). My eye started out with slightly swollen eyelid and tearing – that went away, but now the eye feels weird. No double or blurry vision, just weird, like something isn't right – the vision is weird at times. The Dr. said if I get much worse (antibiodics arn't working), then I'll probably have to go on steroids as it may be imflammation from radiation. Has anyone had this??

My Dr. doesn't seem concerned about another tumour in there, but I guess if things got worse, we'd be more inclined to check.  My oncologist was a bit surprised that the radiologist never gave me any steroids after the treatment – especially since it was 2.5cm.  I think because of it's location, he didn't think I'd run into a problem (not near anything).

Also read 2 articles about brain mets and ipi/zelboraf. Apparently when you get brain mets, the brain/blood barrier becomes less intact making it easier for these drugs to go inside.   This actually seems like good news to me.

Lias

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        boot2aboot
        Participant

Lisa,

hang in there girl

boots

boot2aboot
          Participant

Lisa,

hang in there girl

boots

boot2aboot
            Participant

Lisa,

hang in there girl

boots

davidfromsingapore
              Participant

HI Lisa

I had 2 brain mets removed via craniotomy and one via Novalis (which is the same as GamaKnife).  The proceedures were done about 10 days apart – starting with the craniotomy. To me it seems that the radiation was harder on me – in terms of pain and mental function.  I've had to be readmitted twice since then for severe headaches – off the chart pain.  My vision is ok, but I have had strange things going on with my hearing and sense of taste.  Being in a loud place is very dificult for me because my ears are overly sensitive to high pitches, but then at the same time I am having a harder time hearing low pitches.  I had my ears checked and it is not the ear itself, so most likely is it a result of the surgery or radiation.  My docs say this is something that could get better with time, could be due to swelling or bleeding, and is most likely neurological in nature.  A little scary, but I am worried more about other things.  

I wish the best for you and pray for a good outcome.  Let me know if you have any further questions. 

David

lhaley
                  Participant

David,

I've been wondering since you had last posted about the severe headache.   I have found that the loud noises are calming down. For a few weeks we kept the house very quiet, now the tv is on at the regular sound.  Tomorrow I have the scan so I find out if the SRS (novalis) worked or not. They have not done the crainectomy, waiting to see if this works.  Still on steroids because I keep having different issues though they are weaning me.  If one of your tumor area was in the speech area this could be causing the noise problems.  

Lisa,

Originally they did send me to an eye Dr to get some issues. Mine was caused though because of the steroids. The eye is a little blury but as they are weaning the steroids(Dex) it becomes clear.   Didn't they originally tell you that your large tumor was bleeding or did they decide that it wasn't?   I do know that as time goes on inflamation can occur.

Linda

Lisa13
                    Participant

I never had symptoms when these were discovered which surprised the radiologist.  My larger tumour is located in a safe area (just outside the area that involves movement). Even if it was to become inflammed, I may not get any symptoms because of it's location – but who knows, perhaps I will.  This vision problem is weird, but luckily doesn't happen often in the day. It disappears completely at night.  David, if I can think of anything else, I'll let you know for sure.  I'm wishing you the best success going forward. 

Linda – they originally thought my tumour was bleeding, but after getting a team together, they felt it was more tumour then bleeding.  This is why they decided to go ahead with the gamma knife so quickly.  The radiologist said the small one would likely disappear, but the larger one may not shrink for a long time – but just be dead.  My scans arn't until the end of January and because I had no symptoms of these tumours in my brain before, it freaks me out a bit.  Linda, I really hope your treatment proves good things which I think it probably will.

Lisa

Lisa13
                      Participant

I never had symptoms when these were discovered which surprised the radiologist.  My larger tumour is located in a safe area (just outside the area that involves movement). Even if it was to become inflammed, I may not get any symptoms because of it's location – but who knows, perhaps I will.  This vision problem is weird, but luckily doesn't happen often in the day. It disappears completely at night.  David, if I can think of anything else, I'll let you know for sure.  I'm wishing you the best success going forward. 

Linda – they originally thought my tumour was bleeding, but after getting a team together, they felt it was more tumour then bleeding.  This is why they decided to go ahead with the gamma knife so quickly.  The radiologist said the small one would likely disappear, but the larger one may not shrink for a long time – but just be dead.  My scans arn't until the end of January and because I had no symptoms of these tumours in my brain before, it freaks me out a bit.  Linda, I really hope your treatment proves good things which I think it probably will.

Lisa

Lisa13
                        Participant

Lisa

lhaley
                          Participant

David,

I've been wondering since you had last posted about the severe headache.   I have found that the loud noises are calming down. For a few weeks we kept the house very quiet, now the tv is on at the regular sound.  Tomorrow I have the scan so I find out if the SRS (novalis) worked or not. They have not done the crainectomy, waiting to see if this works.  Still on steroids because I keep having different issues though they are weaning me.  If one of your tumor area was in the speech area this could be causing the noise problems.  

Lisa,

Originally they did send me to an eye Dr to get some issues. Mine was caused though because of the steroids. The eye is a little blury but as they are weaning the steroids(Dex) it becomes clear.   Didn't they originally tell you that your large tumor was bleeding or did they decide that it wasn't?   I do know that as time goes on inflamation can occur.

Linda

lhaley
                            Participant

David,

Lisa,

Linda

davidfromsingapore
                            Participant

HI Lisa

I had 2 brain mets removed via craniotomy and one via Novalis (which is the same as GamaKnife).  The proceedures were done about 10 days apart – starting with the craniotomy. To me it seems that the radiation was harder on me – in terms of pain and mental function.  I've had to be readmitted twice since then for severe headaches – off the chart pain.  My vision is ok, but I have had strange things going on with my hearing and sense of taste.  Being in a loud place is very dificult for me because my ears are overly sensitive to high pitches, but then at the same time I am having a harder time hearing low pitches.  I had my ears checked and it is not the ear itself, so most likely is it a result of the surgery or radiation.  My docs say this is something that could get better with time, could be due to swelling or bleeding, and is most likely neurological in nature.  A little scary, but I am worried more about other things.  

I wish the best for you and pray for a good outcome.  Let me know if you have any further questions. 

David

davidfromsingapore
                              Participant

HI Lisa

David

CollegiateKellie
                                Participant

Hi, 

My dad had Gamma this past summer for brain cancer (fibrosarcoma).  Where did you have your treatment done? My dad had his in Pittsburgh with one of the founding Gamma doctors. He had a lot of inflammation from the radiation, but it just gave him pretty severe headaches and caused some mental confusion. He has been on steroids for the past year for other treatments as well. 

Due to the site of my dad's tumor (around his optic nerve), the doctors warned us ahead of time that he might suffer some personality changes from Gamma. I have not noticed anything too drastic except for the fact that he doesn't really know what "not to say" in public anymore? He used to be a very quiet guy in public but now he feels free to tell all cashiers that their stores' prices are ridiculous and exactly what's on his mind.  His stubborness has also been off the charts, but that could be due to the chemo he's been having too. 

Hope any of that helps. 

Good luck, stay strong!

Kellie 

CollegiateKellie
                                  Participant

Hi, 

My dad had Gamma this past summer for brain cancer (fibrosarcoma).  Where did you have your treatment done? My dad had his in Pittsburgh with one of the founding Gamma doctors. He had a lot of inflammation from the radiation, but it just gave him pretty severe headaches and caused some mental confusion. He has been on steroids for the past year for other treatments as well. 

Due to the site of my dad's tumor (around his optic nerve), the doctors warned us ahead of time that he might suffer some personality changes from Gamma. I have not noticed anything too drastic except for the fact that he doesn't really know what "not to say" in public anymore? He used to be a very quiet guy in public but now he feels free to tell all cashiers that their stores' prices are ridiculous and exactly what's on his mind.  His stubborness has also been off the charts, but that could be due to the chemo he's been having too. 

Hope any of that helps. 

Good luck, stay strong!

Kellie 

CollegiateKellie
                                    Participant

Hi, 

Hope any of that helps. 

Good luck, stay strong!

Kellie 

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics