The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

switching to taf/mek just after 2 infusion of ipi/nivo

Forums General Melanoma Community switching to taf/mek just after 2 infusion of ipi/nivo

Participant
      Hi folks,

after my pet result with tumors in lungs and some bones I have started ipi/nivo combo.
      I have taken 2 round of combo however after my lost combo my LDH level increased from 200 to 400.
      My CT TORAX show many new activity on boths lung + liver + some other places….
      My onco decide to stop ipi/nivo combo and switch to taf/mek immediately.
      do you ever faced similar situation?
      Please share your experiences and ideas.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        AMcReader
        Participant
          Hello there fellow-fighter,

When I was going through the Ipi/Nivo combo my LDH spiked from the 100s to 300+. It freaked me out but instead of being a sign of progression, it was a sign that my immune system was going into overdrive and causing inflammation in my body. That VERY well may be the case for you. In terms of new spots lighting up, 2 treatments is not enough time to gauge whether or not the treatment is working. Most people don’t see results for 12-16+ weeks after starting treatment. If it were me, I’d try to push through and get as many combo treatments as possible and another round of scans before switching. I don’t know your whole case though, so I’d encourage you to at least seek a second opinion.

Fight on!

obtu.bt
            Participant
              dear Amanda thanks for sharing your experience but in my case I had lot of new metastases on different part of the body at the same time that is why my onco decided to switch.
            Summer S.
            Participant
              I think Amanda has a point,
              You can also up pseudoprogressiion on immunotherapy, it is not uncommon for melanoma to progress initially on immunotherapy before it regresses due to immune response.
              I would definitely seek another opinion if I were you, I wish you all the luck
              Edwin
              Participant
                Because my March 1, 2016 PET scan showed melanoma in many bones, I began ipi + nivo immunotherapy on April 1, 2016. I had a PET scan on August 23, 2016. I did not have any scans between those two PET scans. My oncologist waited longer to check my cancer status than your oncologist did.
                  obtu.bt
                  Participant
                    thanks for sharing your experience. In my case as blood work is applyied before each application of combo, due to high increase in LDH we switch the therapy
              Viewing 2 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics