The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Swelling near collar bone

Forums General Melanoma Community Swelling near collar bone

Participant

Hello!    I have noticed a patch near my collar bone; lymph node location, that is slightly raised and discoloured.    When I run my hand over it it is swollen to some degree.     I am a stage 3 melanoma patient and had completed a year of Interferon July 2013.    Is this anything I should be concerned about or simply wait another 3-4 weeks and see if it disappears?  I don't like worrying about these things but admit to feeling a little worried when certain things present.   Thank you for your help.    Take care.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Millykamp
        Participant

I would never wait…. Call and get in to see the doctor..you only got one life. 

Cee
            Participant

Thank you Melissa.   I had an appt. with my dermatologist today so pointed this out to her.   I am being sent for an ultrasound; will be told the appt. date tomorrow.  I hope it's soon.   Thank you for your concern.   I usually wait a little bit of time to see if it changes/goes away, because I feel I'm so alert to any changes, pain, etc. after everything so want to be sure before I run to the doctor.    I could be there terribly frequently if I didn't wait at least a couple of weeks.   Thank you again and I hope you are well.

Cee
              Participant

Thank you Melissa.   I had an appt. with my dermatologist today so pointed this out to her.   I am being sent for an ultrasound; will be told the appt. date tomorrow.  I hope it's soon.   Thank you for your concern.   I usually wait a little bit of time to see if it changes/goes away, because I feel I'm so alert to any changes, pain, etc. after everything so want to be sure before I run to the doctor.    I could be there terribly frequently if I didn't wait at least a couple of weeks.   Thank you again and I hope you are well.

Cee
                Participant

Millykamp
                Participant

Millykamp
                  Participant

arthurjedi007
                    Participant

You should probably get it checked out as soon as possible. Lots of things can cause a lymph node to swell. But after a couple days I would think get it checked.

Mine on my left collar swelled over a year ago. For me it was a tumor but not much of a surprise because I had a couple dozen keeping it company. Surprisingly it seems almost gone now. I can't even feel it let alone see it. For awhile it was so large I could see it in the mirror and it hurt. Too bad all my tumors are not as accommodating.

Artie

Cee
                        Participant

There had been the same thing back in April but after 4 weeks it went away.   If it had gone away before does that not mean it wasn't anything of concern?   It seems I am much more keenly aware of anything new since experiencing melanoma so I worry about showing up at my doctors too much.

I see my dermatologist next Tuesday so maybe I could wait until after that; it will be just a a week after first noticing it.

I do appreciate your advice though and may act sooner.   It doesn't hurt, just raised, slightly red and oblongish in shape and while at my collar bone also close to armpit.

Cee
                          Participant

There had been the same thing back in April but after 4 weeks it went away.   If it had gone away before does that not mean it wasn't anything of concern?   It seems I am much more keenly aware of anything new since experiencing melanoma so I worry about showing up at my doctors too much.

I see my dermatologist next Tuesday so maybe I could wait until after that; it will be just a a week after first noticing it.

I do appreciate your advice though and may act sooner.   It doesn't hurt, just raised, slightly red and oblongish in shape and while at my collar bone also close to armpit.

Cee
                            Participant

Cee
                              Participant

Thanks Artie!    Knowing I had a derm appt. coming up I did wait it out and chose to show my dermatologist it today when I was there because it involves the skin being red.    She is sending me for an ultrasound; soon I hope.    

I'm not even certain it's lymph nodes so it could be anything but it is just below my right collar bone.  It doesn't hurt.    I'm sorry yours is so large and hurts so.

Take care of you.

Cee
                                Participant

Thanks Artie!    Knowing I had a derm appt. coming up I did wait it out and chose to show my dermatologist it today when I was there because it involves the skin being red.    She is sending me for an ultrasound; soon I hope.    

I'm not even certain it's lymph nodes so it could be anything but it is just below my right collar bone.  It doesn't hurt.    I'm sorry yours is so large and hurts so.

Take care of you.

Cee
                                  Participant

Take care of you.

arthurjedi007
                                  Participant

You should probably get it checked out as soon as possible. Lots of things can cause a lymph node to swell. But after a couple days I would think get it checked.

Mine on my left collar swelled over a year ago. For me it was a tumor but not much of a surprise because I had a couple dozen keeping it company. Surprisingly it seems almost gone now. I can't even feel it let alone see it. For awhile it was so large I could see it in the mirror and it hurt. Too bad all my tumors are not as accommodating.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                    Participant

Artie

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics