The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Surgery Monday Then BioChemo

Forums General Melanoma Community Surgery Monday Then BioChemo

Participant

After this surgery going to Oncolist and starting biochemo therapy. I read it is tough but doable. Having done at Kaiser. Would like to get a gage as to how tough it will be. Thanks

After this surgery going to Oncolist and starting biochemo therapy. I read it is tough but doable. Having done at Kaiser. Would like to get a gage as to how tough it will be. Thanks

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Phil S
        Participant
          My husband completed six rounds of biochemo at MDAnderson in Houston last November to March 2012. One week hospital stay each round. It was tough, but MDAnderson nurses are trained very well, and know how to anticipate every side effect. Phil was comfortable in hospital for the most part, the first week back home was always the hardest, he had delayed stomach problems, most likely from the Cisplatin. Try to stay ahead of the stomach issues with the meds they send home with you! Phil has done high dose IL2 and TIL, and he would say biochemo is the hardest, the chemos in biochemo do make you feel sick. But, he survived, did 6 rounds, and worked his job the third week each cycle. Good luck to you, you can do it!! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
          Phil S
          Participant
            My husband completed six rounds of biochemo at MDAnderson in Houston last November to March 2012. One week hospital stay each round. It was tough, but MDAnderson nurses are trained very well, and know how to anticipate every side effect. Phil was comfortable in hospital for the most part, the first week back home was always the hardest, he had delayed stomach problems, most likely from the Cisplatin. Try to stay ahead of the stomach issues with the meds they send home with you! Phil has done high dose IL2 and TIL, and he would say biochemo is the hardest, the chemos in biochemo do make you feel sick. But, he survived, did 6 rounds, and worked his job the third week each cycle. Good luck to you, you can do it!! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
              thrashter
              Participant
                Thank you for the encouragement
                thrashter
                Participant
                  thrashter
                  Participant
                  Phil S
                  Participant
                    RMcLegal
                    Participant

Rough but doable pretty much sums it up.  They'll probably have you pretty sedated in the hospital, and that's a blessing.  Best wishes to you.

Rich

http://www.hotelmelanoma.blogspot.com

RMcLegal
                      Participant

Rough but doable pretty much sums it up.  They'll probably have you pretty sedated in the hospital, and that's a blessing.  Best wishes to you.

Rich

RMcLegal
                        Participant

Rich

JerryfromFauq
                          Participant

Tell the nurses at the first sign of chills/Rigors or nausea so they can bring meds to counter them.  Don't try to "man them out".  Much easier to control if attacked early

JerryfromFauq
                            Participant

Tell the nurses at the first sign of chills/Rigors or nausea so they can bring meds to counter them.  Don't try to "man them out".  Much easier to control if attacked early

JerryfromFauq
                              Participant

kylez
                                Participant
                                  If you’re going to Kaiser Riverside then Dr. Gailani and his nurses and pharmacists and staff are great. I can’t speak to but , I went to him in Riverside in 2010 for 4 cycles of IL-2 and always felt like I was in great hands. Good luck and hang in there with the treatment.
                                  kylez
                                  Participant
                                    If you’re going to Kaiser Riverside then Dr. Gailani and his nurses and pharmacists and staff are great. I can’t speak to but , I went to him in Riverside in 2010 for 4 cycles of IL-2 and always felt like I was in great hands. Good luck and hang in there with the treatment.
                                      kylez
                                      Participant
                                        (…I cant’t speak to biochemo but…)
                                        kylez
                                        Participant
                                          kylez
                                          Participant
                                          kylez
                                          Participant
                                            Mymomsafighter
                                            Participant
                                              My mom underwent 4 rounds of biochemo. Agree with previous posters, alert nurses at onset of any symptoms as they can provide meds for almost all to provide comfort. My mom was sedated for the majority of her hospital stay. Once home, the first week was the toughest. The red, burning skin was the most uncomfortable side effect – we used lots of moisturizers and 100% aloe gel.
                                              Mymomsafighter
                                              Participant
                                                My mom underwent 4 rounds of biochemo. Agree with previous posters, alert nurses at onset of any symptoms as they can provide meds for almost all to provide comfort. My mom was sedated for the majority of her hospital stay. Once home, the first week was the toughest. The red, burning skin was the most uncomfortable side effect – we used lots of moisturizers and 100% aloe gel.
                                                Mymomsafighter
                                                Participant
                                                  Zan
                                                  Participant

A family member just completed six rounds of Biochemo at Kaiser Riverside with Dr. Gailani. The biochemo was challenging, but Dr. G and the nursing staff really knew what they were doing and were well prepared for every symptom. WIshing you the best.

Zan
                                                    Participant

A family member just completed six rounds of Biochemo at Kaiser Riverside with Dr. Gailani. The biochemo was challenging, but Dr. G and the nursing staff really knew what they were doing and were well prepared for every symptom. WIshing you the best.

thrashter
                                                        Participant

Thanks that is the staff I will have.

thrashter
                                                          Participant

Zan
                                                            Participant

You are in good hands. If you want to check out a blog that gives a lot more info about the biochemo at Kaiser Riverside from a patient's perspective, it might help you to know some of what you will be experiencing. Her situation is different than yours in that she is younger (17) and her cancer was spreading quickly and made it to her liver, which is why biochemo was the recommendation. Here is the blog address, and you can search the blog from there. The biochemo discussion starts on May 30, 2012. Hopefully hearing one patient's story will help remove some of the unknown for you. As Dr. G says, though, every patient's experience is different and depends on many factors. Hope your surgery goes well.

http://madeleineblogger.blogspot.com

Zan
                                                              Participant

You are in good hands. If you want to check out a blog that gives a lot more info about the biochemo at Kaiser Riverside from a patient's perspective, it might help you to know some of what you will be experiencing. Her situation is different than yours in that she is younger (17) and her cancer was spreading quickly and made it to her liver, which is why biochemo was the recommendation. Here is the blog address, and you can search the blog from there. The biochemo discussion starts on May 30, 2012. Hopefully hearing one patient's story will help remove some of the unknown for you. As Dr. G says, though, every patient's experience is different and depends on many factors. Hope your surgery goes well.

Zan
                                                                Participant

thrashter
                                                                  Participant

Zan
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics