The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

surgery & cutting into muscle

Forums General Melanoma Community surgery & cutting into muscle

Participant

Hi Everyone,

I am new here so this is my first post. I am stage 3 & have had a few surgeries to remove recurrence oin my leg.

I am now facing another surgery on my thigh (3rd sugery at same area). The suregeon tells me the tumor has grown down into the muscle & he will have  cut muscle out to try to get clear margins.

I would appreciate any feedback from others who have had surgery that cut out muscle. What is the recovery period ?, any long term side effects of cutting muscle out.? Pain? etc.

Hi Everyone,

I am new here so this is my first post. I am stage 3 & have had a few surgeries to remove recurrence oin my leg.

I am now facing another surgery on my thigh (3rd sugery at same area). The suregeon tells me the tumor has grown down into the muscle & he will have  cut muscle out to try to get clear margins.

I would appreciate any feedback from others who have had surgery that cut out muscle. What is the recovery period ?, any long term side effects of cutting muscle out.? Pain? etc.

Thank you for your time & any comments are sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,

Amy

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Amy,

I'm sorry you've had to join us but welcome and I hope you are able to get as much info as you need.

In 06 I had a recurrance on my breast. They took my latisumus muscle and skin from my back and threaded it under my arm and used it in the gaping hole in my chest as a way to sew me up.  Removing the muscle in the back actually caused less pain then the healing in the chest – for months when I would use something that required back muscle my chest would quiver!!  I did undergo physical therapy and occupational therapy to help me gain my strength back. 

Also had muscle cut into on a wide excision on my shoulder. Overall, you may have to slowly and carefully build back your strength but I don't think the surgery caused that many extra issues. For me they also severed nerves and that caused the most issues.  Years ago I had surgery that did not involve mel and they cut through stomach muscles. The hardest part was first moving at first after the surgery.

Each person is different. Let us know how you do!!

linda

Stage IV since 06

Laurie from maine
            Participant

Hi,

I am sorry that you are having to have surgery again.  My tumor in my right groin had grown around muscle so that they had to cut muscle and nerves.  They told me that the muscle would grow back but the nerves do not.   I did have a couple of weeks where I had to physically  manipulate my leg a lot, physically lift it up or swing it in and out of the car.   For me the part of that muscle that had been cut was the part that lifted my leg up and down.  So physical therapist had to teach me how to do stairs etc until the muscle grew back and healed.  My leg is nearly 100%  but it took awhile , still it is pretty amazing to me that your body can build back things like your muscle.    I do think the nerve part is the thing they most warned me about  that it would be a life long thing.    I have very little feeling in my leg from knee to hip kind of like it is asleep all the time.  But it isnt really a big deal.

good luck and let us know how you do.

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
              Participant

Hi,

I am sorry that you are having to have surgery again.  My tumor in my right groin had grown around muscle so that they had to cut muscle and nerves.  They told me that the muscle would grow back but the nerves do not.   I did have a couple of weeks where I had to physically  manipulate my leg a lot, physically lift it up or swing it in and out of the car.   For me the part of that muscle that had been cut was the part that lifted my leg up and down.  So physical therapist had to teach me how to do stairs etc until the muscle grew back and healed.  My leg is nearly 100%  but it took awhile , still it is pretty amazing to me that your body can build back things like your muscle.    I do think the nerve part is the thing they most warned me about  that it would be a life long thing.    I have very little feeling in my leg from knee to hip kind of like it is asleep all the time.  But it isnt really a big deal.

good luck and let us know how you do.

laurie from maine

lhaley
              Participant

Amy,

I'm sorry you've had to join us but welcome and I hope you are able to get as much info as you need.

In 06 I had a recurrance on my breast. They took my latisumus muscle and skin from my back and threaded it under my arm and used it in the gaping hole in my chest as a way to sew me up.  Removing the muscle in the back actually caused less pain then the healing in the chest – for months when I would use something that required back muscle my chest would quiver!!  I did undergo physical therapy and occupational therapy to help me gain my strength back. 

Also had muscle cut into on a wide excision on my shoulder. Overall, you may have to slowly and carefully build back your strength but I don't think the surgery caused that many extra issues. For me they also severed nerves and that caused the most issues.  Years ago I had surgery that did not involve mel and they cut through stomach muscles. The hardest part was first moving at first after the surgery.

Each person is different. Let us know how you do!!

linda

Stage IV since 06

Jane
                  Participant
                    Hi Linda

My mam has been given some treatment options for her breast cancer which has come back and one of them is an op similar to the one which you have had. Can I ask you how old you are? My mum is 74 and been told they will take the muscle from her back and out it in her chest. They said it’s a big operation with comes with complications. She is very thin also which I worry. He other option are electro chemo and skin flap after that. She will k ow more next week from doctors but any advice from anyone is appreciated thank you

DebbieH
                  Participant

Hi Amy,

I'm stage IIIC and when they removed my axillary lymph nodes they found melanoma invaded a muscle in my back so the entire muscle was removed as well.  I don't know how this affected the healing time after the surgery but all in all, it wasn't bad and the loss of that particular muscle really hasn't had much impact on me.  I'm sure it all depends on which muscle and how much it's used.  For me, I can only tell it's gone when I move my arm a certain way.  My surgeon told me I'd never be able to do the back stroke again and I'm fine with that!

Good luck to you, as I'm sure you know, the most important thing is getting all the cancer out and you can deal with the rest later.  Keep us posted on how you're doing.

DebbieH, stage IIIC, NED 9 1/2 years after interferon and no scans.

DebbieH
                    Participant

Hi Amy,

I'm stage IIIC and when they removed my axillary lymph nodes they found melanoma invaded a muscle in my back so the entire muscle was removed as well.  I don't know how this affected the healing time after the surgery but all in all, it wasn't bad and the loss of that particular muscle really hasn't had much impact on me.  I'm sure it all depends on which muscle and how much it's used.  For me, I can only tell it's gone when I move my arm a certain way.  My surgeon told me I'd never be able to do the back stroke again and I'm fine with that!

Good luck to you, as I'm sure you know, the most important thing is getting all the cancer out and you can deal with the rest later.  Keep us posted on how you're doing.

DebbieH, stage IIIC, NED 9 1/2 years after interferon and no scans.

killmel
                      Participant

Thank you so much for your replies.

My doctor did not tell me that muscle grows back. That gives me hope.

Can muscle really grow back…that is amazing?? Has anyone else had muscle grow back. How long does it take?

You are all so strong & supportive. I am glad I found you all.

Thanks, Amy

Janner
                          Participant

Muscle tissue can regrow, but not if the entire muscle is removed.  It all depends on how much they remove.  If they just take some tissue to get good margins, then it is possible you can recover some of that muscle.  If they remove the muscle, it isn't coming back.  So much depends on the extent of the disease and what your doctor plans to do to get good margins.

R0ck01
                            Participant
                              Hi,
                              I’m getting a closer brain MRI soon to see if my abnormally large pituitary has abnormal tissue or is too big and endocrinologist will look into hormone effects….

But I’m on this thread about something non potentially cancerous.

I had a popliteal release on both legs years ago for functional popliteal artery entrapment syndrome. Surgeon cut straight through the belly of my popliteus muscle to render it nonfunctional so it wouldn’t squeeze on my artery and he also removed built up scar tissue from that squeezing.

He is confused why I still have symptoms (I had relief for about 1 month only after about 2 month healing period). He said it’s possibly too much scar tissue grew all around quickly and so that would mean when I plantar flex, the surrounding muscles (like gastrocs) pull or push on scar tissue to where the scar tissue directly squeezes too hard on the artery.

I asked if it’s possible that my popliteus grew back and would be functioning to squeeze itself. He said no and no.

I’m curious, has anyone had an experience where a muscle is fully cut through in the belly fibers (not attachments) and it grew back even enough to have some function?

Janner
                              Participant

Muscle tissue can regrow, but not if the entire muscle is removed.  It all depends on how much they remove.  If they just take some tissue to get good margins, then it is possible you can recover some of that muscle.  If they remove the muscle, it isn't coming back.  So much depends on the extent of the disease and what your doctor plans to do to get good margins.

killmel
                              Participant

Thank you so much for your replies.

My doctor did not tell me that muscle grows back. That gives me hope.

Can muscle really grow back…that is amazing?? Has anyone else had muscle grow back. How long does it take?

You are all so strong & supportive. I am glad I found you all.

Thanks, Amy

KatyWI
                                Participant

Hi Amy,

Sometimes a question comes right at the right time.  I had four mets removed today – one was in my thigh and was in the muscle.  Now, mine was not far into the muscle; it was "fairly superficial" according to my surgeon.  But, she still had to cut muscle to get to it, although not too much.  It is not the most sore of today's surgical sites; it really doesn't feel too bad.  As for functionality after surgery, I was quite concerned about this because when I'm not being a "professional patient" I do triathlons.  I love running and biking and was fearful about any loss of muscle.  I had muscle fibers kind of growing around the met.  My surgeon explained that the muscle fibers that she needed to cut to remove the met would atrophy, but the remaining muscles would take up the slack, so to speak, and I'd never know the difference.

So sorry you needed to join us, but this is a great place to be.  Doctors may know a lot about their procedures, but they don't know what it's really like to undergo them.  Everyone here is so helpful about the been-there-done-that stuff.

KatyWI

killmel
                                    Participant

Hi Katy,

Thank you so much for the info. My surgeon does not know how much of the muscle in my thigh she will have to cut, until she see the tumor during surgery. I am also a runner & very active so I have the same concerns that might leg my not work so great after surgery.

Your post is very encouraging. I would love to keep in contact so I know how you are recovering from surgery is going.

If possible, can you send your email to my daughters email address [email protected]. I do not have an email address.

Thanks again…hoping you have a quick recovery.

Amy

killmel
                                      Participant

Hi Katy,

Thank you so much for the info. My surgeon does not know how much of the muscle in my thigh she will have to cut, until she see the tumor during surgery. I am also a runner & very active so I have the same concerns that might leg my not work so great after surgery.

Your post is very encouraging. I would love to keep in contact so I know how you are recovering from surgery is going.

If possible, can you send your email to my daughters email address [email protected]. I do not have an email address.

Thanks again…hoping you have a quick recovery.

Amy

KatyWI
                                      Participant

Hi Amy,

Sometimes a question comes right at the right time.  I had four mets removed today – one was in my thigh and was in the muscle.  Now, mine was not far into the muscle; it was "fairly superficial" according to my surgeon.  But, she still had to cut muscle to get to it, although not too much.  It is not the most sore of today's surgical sites; it really doesn't feel too bad.  As for functionality after surgery, I was quite concerned about this because when I'm not being a "professional patient" I do triathlons.  I love running and biking and was fearful about any loss of muscle.  I had muscle fibers kind of growing around the met.  My surgeon explained that the muscle fibers that she needed to cut to remove the met would atrophy, but the remaining muscles would take up the slack, so to speak, and I'd never know the difference.

So sorry you needed to join us, but this is a great place to be.  Doctors may know a lot about their procedures, but they don't know what it's really like to undergo them.  Everyone here is so helpful about the been-there-done-that stuff.

KatyWI

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics