The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Surgery and Treatment

Forums General Melanoma Community Surgery and Treatment

Participant
      Alrighty! My surgery to remove the rest of my lymph nodes is Thursday, January 26th at 9am! Hoping I don’t get lymphidema, but it would be a small price to pay if I do. I get a week of recovery and starting treatment February 6th at 9:30am. Matt posted on facebook for people to shave their heads in support. I said I’m not losing my hair! He said well…let’s just see who does it then! Spending time with Matt tonight and looking forward to beating this in the face! God is definitely good! He always provides! Anywho, have a great and blessed weekend everyone! Lots of love!

Alrighty! My surgery to remove the rest of my lymph nodes is Thursday, January 26th at 9am! Hoping I don’t get lymphidema, but it would be a small price to pay if I do. I get a week of recovery and starting treatment February 6th at 9:30am. Matt posted on facebook for people to shave their heads in support. I said I’m not losing my hair! He said well…let’s just see who does it then! Spending time with Matt tonight and looking forward to beating this in the face! God is definitely good! He always provides! Anywho, have a great and blessed weekend everyone! Lots of love!

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        davidfromsingapore
        Participant

Your attitude is awesome.  You can beat this.  If it  lose at round 1, there are still 9 more rounds.  Believe it can be done.  I believe that you can beat it!  I'll be thinking about you for your surgery.  

David

davidfromsingapore
          Participant

Your attitude is awesome.  You can beat this.  If it  lose at round 1, there are still 9 more rounds.  Believe it can be done.  I believe that you can beat it!  I'll be thinking about you for your surgery.  

David

davidfromsingapore
            Participant

David

patobs01
              Participant

I had the lymph nodes removed from my left arm in November, 2009. My dr. referred me to a physical therapist that specializes in lymphedema prevention. I regained all flexibility/strength in my arm and have never had any trouble with lymphedema. Hope it all goes well!

Patricia

patobs01
                Participant

I had the lymph nodes removed from my left arm in November, 2009. My dr. referred me to a physical therapist that specializes in lymphedema prevention. I regained all flexibility/strength in my arm and have never had any trouble with lymphedema. Hope it all goes well!

Patricia

patobs01
                  Participant

Patricia

SABKLYN
                    Participant
                      Hi Lily,
                      I’m right behind you! Going for pre-surgical testing at Memorial Sloan Kettering and will likely have my TLND 7 days after you. I agree with you. Lymph edema is a small price to pay. Best of luck and prayers for a successful procedure.

SABKLYN
                      Participant
                        Hi Lily,
                        I’m right behind you! Going for pre-surgical testing at Memorial Sloan Kettering and will likely have my TLND 7 days after you. I agree with you. Lymph edema is a small price to pay. Best of luck and prayers for a successful procedure.

SABKLYN
                        Participant
                          Hi Lily,

SABKLYN
                          Participant
                            Hi Lily,

SABKLYN
                            Participant
                              Hi Lily,

SABKLYN
                              Participant
                                Hi Lily,

SABKLYN
                                Participant
                                  Hi Lily,

SABKLYN
                                  Participant
                                    Hi Lily,

SABKLYN
                                    Participant
                                      Hi Lily,

JoshF
                                      Participant

Lily-

All the best with upcoming surgery and treatment. The Lord is with you and will see you through this. God Bless!

Josh

JoshF
                                        Participant

Lily-

All the best with upcoming surgery and treatment. The Lord is with you and will see you through this. God Bless!

Josh

JoshF
                                          Participant

Lily-

Josh

Lauri England
                                            Participant

I had 28 lymph nodes removed from my right arm pit August 12, 2010 and have not had any further problem.  I do take it easy lifting with that arm and my arm pit will probably never feel the same as it is totally numb but other then that all is good.  I do have a compression sleeve incase I ever do have a problem.  Good luck to you.  The drane was the worst part I thought, but everyone is different.  God Bless!!!

Lauri England
                                              Participant

I had 28 lymph nodes removed from my right arm pit August 12, 2010 and have not had any further problem.  I do take it easy lifting with that arm and my arm pit will probably never feel the same as it is totally numb but other then that all is good.  I do have a compression sleeve incase I ever do have a problem.  Good luck to you.  The drane was the worst part I thought, but everyone is different.  God Bless!!!

Lauri England
                                                Participant

Linny
                                                  Participant

I had a full lymphadenectomy done in January 2010 and have no lymphedema. I did see a physical therapist who specializes in it and got some exercises from her as well as a compression sleeve. Don't just randomly buy one from a drug store. You need to be properly measured and fitted for one. They come in colors and I picked a lavender-colored one. ๐Ÿ™‚

I took some advice from a breast cancer survivor who'd had a double lympadenectomy and I'm not sure how much it helped. She gave me a simple excerise to try with the affected arm: place your fingers on your shoulder and begin gently "walking" up your shoulder, neck, past your ear, over the top of your head to the top of the opposite ear and back. Go slow. Of course you won't get anywhere near the top of your head the first try. Just go as far as you can and then back. Then measure your progress as you heal. Your goal is to reach the other ear. I started doing this the day after I got home.

Once you can use the shower again, here's another exercise you can try: stand about a foot from the wall of your shower and "walk" up the wall with the affected arm. The goal is to reach the same position on the wall that your unaffected arm can reach when fully extended. On the first try, you won't get anywhere near it but it does improve over time. I was able to measure my progress using the tiles. Once your comfortably extended the affected arm, give it a gentle massage by gently stroking downward from the wrist to your shoulder.

After I saw the therapist I learned even more excerises and preventive measures. And, my arm is fine.

Over the year I've noticed that I do get normal swelling on the hand of the affected arm in the warm weather and when I do certain activities like weeding. The first time I noticed the swelling I freaked out. But after I elevated my arm and began stroking down from my wrist to my shoulder I could feel the fluid drain from my hand. 

The experience I had with the surgery wasn't as bad as I feared it would be. Not that it was a walk in the park but I managed just fine. The biggest pain in the butt was the drain. If the hospital doesn't give you a mastectomy bra (the one I got had a pouch for the drain) then wear a sports bra or stretchy cami to help keep the drain in place.

You are on practically the same timeline that I was on last year. My surgery was on January 25. At my two week follow up with the surgeon my pain was minimal, I was able to dress myself and get a jacket on/off with on my own. ANd, I couldn't wait to use a shower again! LOL

Hang in there. You're going to do just fine.

Linda

Linny
                                                      Participant

I screwed the surgery date up. I had my lymphadenectomy done in January 2011, almost a year to the day ago.

Linda

Linny
                                                        Participant

I screwed the surgery date up. I had my lymphadenectomy done in January 2011, almost a year to the day ago.

Linda

Linny
                                                          Participant

Linda

Linny
                                                          Participant

I had a full lymphadenectomy done in January 2010 and have no lymphedema. I did see a physical therapist who specializes in it and got some exercises from her as well as a compression sleeve. Don't just randomly buy one from a drug store. You need to be properly measured and fitted for one. They come in colors and I picked a lavender-colored one. ๐Ÿ™‚

I took some advice from a breast cancer survivor who'd had a double lympadenectomy and I'm not sure how much it helped. She gave me a simple excerise to try with the affected arm: place your fingers on your shoulder and begin gently "walking" up your shoulder, neck, past your ear, over the top of your head to the top of the opposite ear and back. Go slow. Of course you won't get anywhere near the top of your head the first try. Just go as far as you can and then back. Then measure your progress as you heal. Your goal is to reach the other ear. I started doing this the day after I got home.

Once you can use the shower again, here's another exercise you can try: stand about a foot from the wall of your shower and "walk" up the wall with the affected arm. The goal is to reach the same position on the wall that your unaffected arm can reach when fully extended. On the first try, you won't get anywhere near it but it does improve over time. I was able to measure my progress using the tiles. Once your comfortably extended the affected arm, give it a gentle massage by gently stroking downward from the wrist to your shoulder.

After I saw the therapist I learned even more excerises and preventive measures. And, my arm is fine.

Over the year I've noticed that I do get normal swelling on the hand of the affected arm in the warm weather and when I do certain activities like weeding. The first time I noticed the swelling I freaked out. But after I elevated my arm and began stroking down from my wrist to my shoulder I could feel the fluid drain from my hand. 

The experience I had with the surgery wasn't as bad as I feared it would be. Not that it was a walk in the park but I managed just fine. The biggest pain in the butt was the drain. If the hospital doesn't give you a mastectomy bra (the one I got had a pouch for the drain) then wear a sports bra or stretchy cami to help keep the drain in place.

You are on practically the same timeline that I was on last year. My surgery was on January 25. At my two week follow up with the surgeon my pain was minimal, I was able to dress myself and get a jacket on/off with on my own. ANd, I couldn't wait to use a shower again! LOL

Linda

Linny
                                                            Participant

Linda

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics