The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Super anxious awaiting results about strange mole.

Forums General Melanoma Community Super anxious awaiting results about strange mole.

Participant
      This is my first time posting.  In Sept. 2019, I had a stage 1a melanoma removed from my right forearm.  All of my skin checks have been great since.  But this past November, I noticed a change in a little light pinkish brown mole that has been on top of my foot for a long time.  In about the second week of Nov, I got stung by a few ants on the top of that foot but don’t recall getting one on that mole.  My mom had just died and I was so caught up in the grief, I just didn’t pay good attention.  Anyway, about a few days later, I woke in the night scratching that foot hard with my other foot.  I just thought “It’s those bites” and they calmed down in a little while.  Then the very end of November I noticed one spot still remained and took a picture up close with my phone and the little mole looked red and swollen with a little red scab in the middle.  I looked up an old picture of the mole from May to compare.  You couldn’t even see the mole any more although it didn’t seem much bigger.  I called my dermatologist and the soonest I could get in was on January 5.  Over the course of December, the scab fell off on it’s own and it slowly shrunk nearly back to normal except it still was a little darker pink.  When I showed the progress pics to my dermatologist on Jan 5 she decided to immediately do a shave biopsy.  I knew that was probably coming.  I asked her if she thinks it’s concerning and she said “yes” and then went on to say that she “would rather send it and hear that it’s nothing rather than ignore it”.  I have been ok sometimes, but my panic is just getting the best of me.  I can’t help but thinking that I had to wait a month and now it’s probably really bad.  Or jumping to the worst possible melanoma diagnosis and I’m going to die soon.  My anxiety is through the roof lately as it is since my mother died.  She literally fell over dead from a pulmonary embolism.  I just feel like death is everywhere and keep thinking that I just KNOW this place on my foot is bad.  It’s nothing like my other melanoma…it was a flat mole that darkened very slowly over a couple of years so that I didn’t even notice how much it had changed.  I don’t know if this place on my foot is due to scratching and irritating it or if it’s just a weird, fast morphing growth.  Has anyone else had an experience with a similar place that was inflamed and then regressed?  I know I’m kind of rambling and all over the place, I’m just so scared.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Danielle T
        Participant
          This reply has been marked as private.
          LRS88
          Participant
            I had a stage 1a melanoma removed from my stomach in March 2019.
            Since then I have had 2 others removed which ended up being only mildly to moderately abnormal. I was very nervous awaiting the results as well.
            My dermatologist always tells me given my history she would rather be conservative and take something off to be biopsied than leave it on.
            I appreciate her conservativeness and would rather be safe than sorry. Waiting is extremely difficult, I understand. Hang in there!
            Chances are it is nothing at all or something benign 🙂
            Julia Rogers
            Participant
              Thanks for the encouragement!  I feel a little better today after reading these replies and then reasoning things out a bit more.  I knew that my dermatologist would likely biopsy the mole…actually, I was hoping she would.  I think it just hit me all over again about the waiting last time and it actually was melanoma.  I saw a different dermatologist then and they called me into the office for results and I was so terrified that my husband had to drive me there.

My dermatology office has a patient portal so you can see visit notes and today I noticed that mine have a modification since the visit.  On Tuesday, they called the mole “a neoplasm of uncertain behavior” and today it has been changed to say a “compound nevus”.  I don’t know if that means anything or not.  The results have not come back yet to my knowledge.

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics