The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Suggestions for lawyer to help file for disability?

Forums General Melanoma Community Suggestions for lawyer to help file for disability?

Participant
      I think it is time to try and file for disability. I was encouraged to at the doctors office. . I was not working because I was previously sick and so I probably need the aid of an attorney. Any specific recommendations? I’m in Los Angeles but I’m not sure it matter. I had a high paying, intellectually demanding job, laid off, couldn’t find related work, diagnosed with melanoma, tried to do part time consulting work but never made a penny, very ill from brain tumor, stable, then diagnosed with melanoma. I think dates will be a problem. I have three kids.

Can anyone suggest a specific attorney? I find it overwhelming. I did search but didn’t find any names.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Gene_S
        Participant
          Hello, My husband filed for disability on the internet and was accepted on the first try. You list the doctors and the diagnosis and any problems you are having with being able to perform your job. I know several people that have filed with no lawyer.
            pookerpb
            Participant
              Hi..its been 4 years since I did for my husband who is not deceased, but it was easy to do online. took a little time to go through each screen but is straight forward. If you look on the SS website you can find illness/diseases that are an automatic approval. Metastatic Melanoma is an automatic approval and we had a response within a few days. We too also received back pay from official diagnosis of stage IV.
            BillB
            Participant
              Hi, you can do it yourself online, not hard at all. I made sure my oncologist knew I was applying because she was going to need to provide information. So, if you are a stage 4 melanoma patient you should be approved under the compassionate care part of the law. You can also make an appointment at your local SS office and they will help you fill it out. Mine was approved in 1 day. There is a 5 month waiting period from the time you start the application so do that ASAP. If I think of any more I will pass this t on.

msue5
                Participant
                  I applied online also. Approved right away and was given 2 yrs back payment according to time I was actually eligible. Virginia resident. If only I had known how easy it was. Good luck.
                  msue5
                  Participant
                    BTW 2 week waiting and funds were in my bank account.
                  MelanomaMike
                  Participant
                    Hi Judy, im a lil late in replying to your post but im not seeing you reply either, i to am on SSDI, getting a lawyer is a good idea if youve been denied, otherwise from start to finish it went smooth for me anyways (thank God!) Couple months at most, from applying to recieving my 1st check (then after its direct deposit) if you meet SSDI’s criteria of Work Credits it shouldnt be a problem, you can request whats called a “Compassionate Allowance” , it will speed you up since you may be advanced stages!! good luck, i hope by now youve recieved good news???
                      JudiAU
                      Participant
                        Thank you. I was worried a boy the dates not matching up and disqualifying. I couldn’t work because of earlier illness and I wanted to.
                      JudiAU
                      Participant
                        Thanks all. I had anticipated a fight over the recent work requirement but I was approved yesterday. They didn’t backdate it very far but they seemed to give me the grace of counting my previous non working time due to my unrelated brain tumor as off the clock.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. It gave me the push to apply. This will really help our family.

JudiAU
                          Participant
                            I’m updating this thread to aid future search inquiries. I’be been sick for some time an assigned an entire year of back support. It has already been deposited in my account!
                      Viewing 3 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics