The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Study

• This topic has 9 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by RGal.
    Participant

My father has been on a study for only 6 wks.  PD-1 infusion every 2 wks + inhibitor.  He went today for scans which according to my mother "aren't good" so they are stopping this regimen and beginning something else in 3 wks.  Two questions, why wouldn't they give it more time and also, do they need to wait 3 wks for these drugs to be eliminated from his system.  I hate the fact that nothing will be done for so long.

Any advice would be most appreciated.  

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mat
        Participant

Sorry to hear. The 3 weeks sounds to me like they want to move him to another clinical trial. Clinical trials often require a 3 week (or more) washout period. As for why not more time, I suspect that the trial has rules around progression and when one must be taken out of the trial. If your father's onc thinks it makes sense to move to PD-1 or BRAF/MEK (you said "inhibitor" but didn't specify) individually, then your father would not need to wait 3 weeks and could start treatment immediately since these are FDA-approved drugs. (In the case of PD-1, your father might be required to try and fail ipi first.)

Mat
          Participant

Sorry to hear. The 3 weeks sounds to me like they want to move him to another clinical trial. Clinical trials often require a 3 week (or more) washout period. As for why not more time, I suspect that the trial has rules around progression and when one must be taken out of the trial. If your father's onc thinks it makes sense to move to PD-1 or BRAF/MEK (you said "inhibitor" but didn't specify) individually, then your father would not need to wait 3 weeks and could start treatment immediately since these are FDA-approved drugs. (In the case of PD-1, your father might be required to try and fail ipi first.)

Mat
            Participant

ed williams
              Participant

RGal, I have a couple of questions? Where is he being seen for treatment? What has changed in his status over the 6 weeks of treatment? What is the name of the Inhibitor he is getting? My first thought is they are not letting the Pd-1 drug have enough time, during the first phase trials of Pd-1 they did scans at 8 weeks to check for status if I am remembering correctly. In my phase 3 trial of (Pd-1) Nivolumab and Ipi they did first set of scans at 12 weeks. Wishing you the best!!!! Ed

RGal
                  Participant

Thanks for your response.  I know it was a INCB inhibitor, but can't find the full name.  Other than some fluid in his lungs they had to drain after the first treatment, nothing else has really happened so I am a bit curious why they scanned so early and why they are stopping so soon.  

RGal
                    Participant

Thanks for your response.  I know it was a INCB inhibitor, but can't find the full name.  Other than some fluid in his lungs they had to drain after the first treatment, nothing else has really happened so I am a bit curious why they scanned so early and why they are stopping so soon.  

RGal
                      Participant

ed williams
                      Participant

RGal, I have a couple of questions? Where is he being seen for treatment? What has changed in his status over the 6 weeks of treatment? What is the name of the Inhibitor he is getting? My first thought is they are not letting the Pd-1 drug have enough time, during the first phase trials of Pd-1 they did scans at 8 weeks to check for status if I am remembering correctly. In my phase 3 trial of (Pd-1) Nivolumab and Ipi they did first set of scans at 12 weeks. Wishing you the best!!!! Ed

ed williams
                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics