The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Studies or Info On Melanoma Re-Occurence

Forums General Melanoma Community Studies or Info On Melanoma Re-Occurence

Participant

Hi All-

Looking for info on studies or personal experiences with re-occurrence. Key points I'm looking at

-What are chances of 2nd or 3rd reoccurrence after intial reoccurence? Is Melanoma that comes back more aggressive?

-If BRAF mutation is present or other mutations, are chances of reocurrence higher?

-What treatments are suggested and anyone have experience on specfic treatments? Sounds like interferon makes patient give up some quality of life for little to no benefit.

-Are lymph nodes typically involved in reoccurence?

There is a lot of mixed information in regards to reoccurence. Some things I've saw states it's worst thing possible and there is no cure for patient once melanoma reoccures. I met a surgeon through a melanoma clinic at OSU that says reoccurence though not good doesn't mean patient won't have chance of a long productive life. He said to the contrary that many people live long lives and that more treatments are on the horizon.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        blden2186
        Participant
          I had my original diagnosis in 2005 with recurrence in 2012 and 2013 in left leg. So Far as we know it has not spread. I am doing the interferon as it is suppose to slow down recurrence .
          blden2186
          Participant
            I had my original diagnosis in 2005 with recurrence in 2012 and 2013 in left leg. So Far as we know it has not spread. I am doing the interferon as it is suppose to slow down recurrence .
            blden2186
            Participant
          Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics