The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stretches post-LND

Forums General Melanoma Community Stretches post-LND

Participant

Can someone point me toward some streches for after a total LND in my right arm?  I'm only 12 days out, but I can barely lift my arm.  My armpit feels like something was sewn too tight and my range of motion is gone.  I can see something long & skinny in my armpit that sticks out when I lift it at all. I definitely realize that I am not speaking in proper medical terms — just describing the sensation.  Thinking that physical therapy might be necessary, but would love some at home techniques. Thanks!

Can someone point me toward some streches for after a total LND in my right arm?  I'm only 12 days out, but I can barely lift my arm.  My armpit feels like something was sewn too tight and my range of motion is gone.  I can see something long & skinny in my armpit that sticks out when I lift it at all. I definitely realize that I am not speaking in proper medical terms — just describing the sensation.  Thinking that physical therapy might be necessary, but would love some at home techniques. Thanks!

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        blairashley
        Participant

I CAN spell… *stretches

blairashley
          Participant

I CAN spell… *stretches

Erinmay22
              Participant

do you have an email address you use?  I can email you a copy of what I was sent home with.  It has exercises and things to avoid to reduce your chances of lympedema.  Very important to keep movement in the shoulder so that you don't get frozen shoulder. 

best of luck!!  sorry to 'meet' you this way… 

Erin

Erinmay22
                Participant

do you have an email address you use?  I can email you a copy of what I was sent home with.  It has exercises and things to avoid to reduce your chances of lympedema.  Very important to keep movement in the shoulder so that you don't get frozen shoulder. 

Erin

Erinmay22
                  Participant

Erin

blairashley
                    Participant

Erin — Yes, email me at [email protected]!

Linny — CORDING… wow.  That is exactly what my armpit looks like. Thank you so much for understanding what I was describing!  I am going to ask my doc about it ASAP.

Thanks to everyone for the great stretching tips!  I will heal up a bit and get started on these. 

๐Ÿ™‚

blairashley
                      Participant

Linny — CORDING… wow.  That is exactly what my armpit looks like. Thank you so much for understanding what I was describing!  I am going to ask my doc about it ASAP.

Thanks to everyone for the great stretching tips!  I will heal up a bit and get started on these. 

๐Ÿ™‚

blairashley
                        Participant

๐Ÿ™‚

blairashley
                        Participant

I CAN spell… *stretches

Linny
                          Participant

It might be something called cording, which can happen as a result of a lymphadenectomy. But you may want to call your surgeon and let him/her know you're experiencing discomfort in your armpit. Your surgeon may also want to to write you a script for physical therapy — but you need to see someone experienced in dealing with patients who are at risk for lymphedema.

There are two simple stretches you can do to loosen up some of those muscles:

Stretch 1

You can do this one sitting, standing, or lying down.

1.  Put the fingertips of your right hand on your right shoulder.

2.  Slowly walk up your shoulder, neck, ear, etc., using your fingers. Stop when it starts to hurt and them walk back down again. The goal is to eventually be able to "walk" over the top of your head until you can touch the top of your left ear.

3.  Start with 2-3 reps and gradually increase to 5-6. Do it once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and once when you go to sleep. You can increase the number of times you do it as you get better. Most important is to not overdo it.

Stretch 2

This one is done in the shower.

1.  Face the shower wall and stand about 12-18 inches from it.

2.  Walk with your right hand up the shower wall. Go as high as you can and then walk back down again. Gradually increase the height that you "walk". Repeat about 3-5 times.

Your goal is to gradually be able to lift your right arm as high as your left one.

The added bonus with the is you can also incorporate some lymph massage into this exercise. The soap make your skin nice and slippery.

1.  Get your left had soapy. Walk up the shower wall with your right hand as high as you can.

2.  Hold your right hand up and place your left hand on your right wrist.

3.  Gently stroke your left hand up your right arm toward your shoulder. Pretend you're putting moisturizer on. ๐Ÿ™‚ Stroke the upper and lower parts of your arm, starting at the wrist each time When you're ready, gently extend the stroking motions down past your armpit. You want to encourage the lymph fluids to move from your wrist up past your shoulder toward your torso.

Linny
                            Participant

It might be something called cording, which can happen as a result of a lymphadenectomy. But you may want to call your surgeon and let him/her know you're experiencing discomfort in your armpit. Your surgeon may also want to to write you a script for physical therapy — but you need to see someone experienced in dealing with patients who are at risk for lymphedema.

Stretch 1

2.  Slowly walk up your shoulder, neck, ear, etc., using your fingers. Stop when it starts to hurt and them walk back down again. The goal is to eventually be able to "walk" over the top of your head until you can touch the top of your left ear.

3.  Start with 2-3 reps and gradually increase to 5-6. Do it once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and once when you go to sleep. You can increase the number of times you do it as you get better. Most important is to not overdo it.

Stretch 2

2.  Walk with your right hand up the shower wall. Go as high as you can and then walk back down again. Gradually increase the height that you "walk". Repeat about 3-5 times.

Your goal is to gradually be able to lift your right arm as high as your left one.

The added bonus with the is you can also incorporate some lymph massage into this exercise. The soap make your skin nice and slippery.

1.  Get your left had soapy. Walk up the shower wall with your right hand as high as you can.

3.  Gently stroke your left hand up your right arm toward your shoulder. Pretend you're putting moisturizer on. ๐Ÿ™‚ Stroke the upper and lower parts of your arm, starting at the wrist each time When you're ready, gently extend the stroking motions down past your armpit. You want to encourage the lymph fluids to move from your wrist up past your shoulder toward your torso.

Linny
                              Participant

Stretch 1

Stretch 2

washoegal
                                Participant

12 days might be a bit early to start your stretches.  You want to make sure you incision is completely healed first.  I did the "wall walk" as described for the shower but just not in the shower.  Do the exercises slowly.  Once you start feeling pain it's time to stop the stretch, you don't want to tear anything, just stretch it a little.  If you can make an inch of two gain daily that's enough. 

"Wall Walk"  Stand at a right angle to a flat wall.  Place you forearm on the wall, slowly walk your fingers up the wall, like a spider crawling up the wall.  Repeat 2-3 times or as often as you feel able.  Do not over stretch.  Do this 3-4 time a day.

washoegal
                                  Participant

12 days might be a bit early to start your stretches.  You want to make sure you incision is completely healed first.  I did the "wall walk" as described for the shower but just not in the shower.  Do the exercises slowly.  Once you start feeling pain it's time to stop the stretch, you don't want to tear anything, just stretch it a little.  If you can make an inch of two gain daily that's enough. 

"Wall Walk"  Stand at a right angle to a flat wall.  Place you forearm on the wall, slowly walk your fingers up the wall, like a spider crawling up the wall.  Repeat 2-3 times or as often as you feel able.  Do not over stretch.  Do this 3-4 time a day.

washoegal
                                    Participant

Linny
                                      Participant

Washoegal is right — do not overstretch. Stop as soon as you feel any discomfort.

I actually did the shoulder walk the day I got home from surgery. Of course I didn't even make it to my left ear lobe (my lymphadenectomy was done on my left arm pit). But, by the time I got my drain removed I was able to make it to the top of my head.

Aside from the obvious physical benefit the stretches give you, they also give you something to measure your recovery by.

Linny
                                        Participant

Washoegal is right — do not overstretch. Stop as soon as you feel any discomfort.

I actually did the shoulder walk the day I got home from surgery. Of course I didn't even make it to my left ear lobe (my lymphadenectomy was done on my left arm pit). But, by the time I got my drain removed I was able to make it to the top of my head.

Aside from the obvious physical benefit the stretches give you, they also give you something to measure your recovery by.

blairashley
                                            Participant

Just tried the shoulder walk… can't even get to my neck!  Argh. 

blairashley
                                              Participant

blairashley
                                                Participant

Erinmay22
                                                  Participant

Hey – emailed you what I was sent home with.  The walk over your shoulder took me 6-8 weeks to do.  it takes time – just keep practicing!!  

Erin

Erinmay22
                                                    Participant

Hey – emailed you what I was sent home with.  The walk over your shoulder took me 6-8 weeks to do.  it takes time – just keep practicing!!  

Erin

Erinmay22
                                                      Participant

Erin

Linny
                                                        Participant

That's OK if you can't get to your neck right now. It will happen and you will get full range of motion back. Once you've healed, don't stop the stretches. You don't want those muscles stiffening up.

Linny
                                                          Participant

That's OK if you can't get to your neck right now. It will happen and you will get full range of motion back. Once you've healed, don't stop the stretches. You don't want those muscles stiffening up.

Linny
                                                            Participant

Linny
                                                            Participant

AlisonC
                                                              Participant
                                                                I had the same thing….right LND…and the physio came to see me on day 2 post surgery….as soon as my arm came down from the “sling” thingy it was in -for drainage- when I woke up. I swore at her a LOT but mobility was her goal and I have to thank her in retrospect. I wouldn’t wait…I would start sooner rather than later. The scar tissue will be quite tight once it’s finished forming so you want to gently stretch it as much as you can while it’s still just healing. I had quite a big surgery but was back to normal function within about 8 months I think.

I was given the “wall walks” someone else mentioned (10 years later I still have the pencil marks on the wall where we measured how much further up I could go each day) and also one where I laid on my back, holding a broom handle horizontally like you’re lifting a weight (something like that, but it has to be lightweight) and you raise both arms back over your head til the broom handle and your arms are lying on the floor/bed. Sounds easy but it took me months to get it right and to start with, your left arm does most of the work…..just keep your right arm on the handle to keep that stretch happening.

If you can find a specialist physiotherapist that would be my suggestion. I didn’t have radiation so as soon as I could, my physio had me start swimming freestyle…..it loosens the muscles and promotes movement but the pressure of the water also works to prevent lymphoedema.

It’s slow and not the nicest feeling in the world to know you’re pulling on a surgical scar, but keep moving and stretching as much as you can. I don’t have any restricted movement now and actually about 50%-60% of the post-surgical numbness has also receded over the years.

Good luck

AlisonC
                                                                Stage IIIB
                                                                NED since 2001

AlisonC
                                                                Participant
                                                                  I had the same thing….right LND…and the physio came to see me on day 2 post surgery….as soon as my arm came down from the “sling” thingy it was in -for drainage- when I woke up. I swore at her a LOT but mobility was her goal and I have to thank her in retrospect. I wouldn’t wait…I would start sooner rather than later. The scar tissue will be quite tight once it’s finished forming so you want to gently stretch it as much as you can while it’s still just healing. I had quite a big surgery but was back to normal function within about 8 months I think.

I was given the “wall walks” someone else mentioned (10 years later I still have the pencil marks on the wall where we measured how much further up I could go each day) and also one where I laid on my back, holding a broom handle horizontally like you’re lifting a weight (something like that, but it has to be lightweight) and you raise both arms back over your head til the broom handle and your arms are lying on the floor/bed. Sounds easy but it took me months to get it right and to start with, your left arm does most of the work…..just keep your right arm on the handle to keep that stretch happening.

If you can find a specialist physiotherapist that would be my suggestion. I didn’t have radiation so as soon as I could, my physio had me start swimming freestyle…..it loosens the muscles and promotes movement but the pressure of the water also works to prevent lymphoedema.

It’s slow and not the nicest feeling in the world to know you’re pulling on a surgical scar, but keep moving and stretching as much as you can. I don’t have any restricted movement now and actually about 50%-60% of the post-surgical numbness has also receded over the years.

Good luck

AlisonC
                                                                  Stage IIIB
                                                                  NED since 2001

blairashley
                                                                    Participant

Thanks for the thoughtful response, Allison!

My issue is getting WORSE every day.  I have a major "cord" in my armpit and can feel it all the way into my forearm.  Left a message for my doc on Friday; can hardly wait to hear back from him. It's the freakiest feeling in the world — like something inside is going to snap if I reach too far or too high. ๐Ÿ™  I am so worked up over the "cord" that I am afraid to stretch.  Aaack!

blairashley
                                                                      Participant

My issue is getting WORSE every day.  I have a major "cord" in my armpit and can feel it all the way into my forearm.  Left a message for my doc on Friday; can hardly wait to hear back from him. It's the freakiest feeling in the world — like something inside is going to snap if I reach too far or too high. ๐Ÿ™  I am so worked up over the "cord" that I am afraid to stretch.  Aaack!

AlisonC
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          Urgh…..what an awful feeling. I can actually imagine it and it’s making my stomach feel funny. Don’t give up on hounding your surgeon! I hope it’s fixed quickly……

Good luck

AlisonC
                                                                          Stage IIIB
                                                                          NED since 2001

AlisonC
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            Urgh…..what an awful feeling. I can actually imagine it and it’s making my stomach feel funny. Don’t give up on hounding your surgeon! I hope it’s fixed quickly……

Good luck

AlisonC
                                                                            Stage IIIB
                                                                            NED since 2001

AlisonC
                                                                            Participant

Good luck

AlisonC
                                                                              Stage IIIB
                                                                              NED since 2001

blairashley
                                                                              Participant

AlisonC
                                                                              Participant

Good luck

AlisonC
                                                                                Stage IIIB
                                                                                NED since 2001

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics