The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Still here, still doing well

Forums General Melanoma Community Still here, still doing well

Participant

Hello everyone. 

I have not been around for a while as work has really occupied every waking second (when I'm not in the doctor's office). Mat contacted me to see how I was doing and suggested I post an update though. 

For those who don't know me, I was diagnosed in 2011 as a stage IIIb, who progressed to stage IV in 2012. I've been through the full year of interferon, a full course of IL-2, a full course of Ipi (combined with Leukine), whole brain radiation, 2 rounds of SRS, and the BRAF/MEK combo- all of which failed miserably. Last June I was accepted into the Merk PD-1 (now Keytruda) expanded access program. Things went well until September when they found a mass that had "grown" rapidly in just a couple of months. One craniotomy later the results were that it was all dead tumor, and Keytruda had gotten FDA approval so we picked up where we left off with the infusions but happily at our home office instead of 6 hrs away. I have been getting the regular 3 week injections and scans every 4th dose since then. 

For the most part, everything was showing relatively steady improvement (inside the brain and out) until the last 2 scans where things just appeared stable. I had another round of scans this past week and things are shrinking again. In the brain I'm down from multiple masses to just one that's almost invisible, in my body I'm down from over 30 mets to just 4 that are still visible and those have shrunk by nearly 2/3 since starting the infusions last June. Everyone seems amazed by what this drug has been able to do for me. One of the best parts is that I have few to now side effects and am able to live my life however I want to.

One day, I hope I can come off therapy and possibly consider having children, something my husband and I have not even dared think about until now. I don't know if it's the infusion getting into my brain or not, but something is, and I'll take it either way!

Best of luck to everyone out there fighting this battle! Keep fighting- find your way to win!

-Eva

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        yazziemac
        Participant

Such wonderful new, Eva, congratulations!

Yasmin

yazziemac
          Participant

Yasmin

yazziemac
            Participant

Yasmin

Eileensulliv
                Participant

That is awesome news! Congrats!

Eileensulliv
                  Participant

Eileensulliv
                    Participant

Mat
                    Participant

Thanks for posting Eva–such amazing results from Keytruda and hope for us all.

tschmith
                        Participant

Wonderful news, Eva! I'm so happy for you…you've been through so much.  I'm having some great results with Keytruda too!  Let's stick it to Melanoma!

Terrie

csellers23
                          Participant
                            How many rounds did you have till your brain Mets went away? Your sorry sounds just like my husband’s.
                            ecc26
                            Participant

I had 4 doses before they found the mass that resulted in a craniotomy. The craniotomy delayed the administration of the next dose, but only by 1 week. Two weeks later a recheck MRI showed shrinkage of the remaining brain mets and things have continued from there. Shrinkage in the brain seems to be slower than the shrinkage that has happened in the body, which makes sense given the blood brain barrier, but shrinkage is still shrinkage and when it comes down to it I'll take it any way I can get it.

-Eva

ecc26
                              Participant

I had 4 doses before they found the mass that resulted in a craniotomy. The craniotomy delayed the administration of the next dose, but only by 1 week. Two weeks later a recheck MRI showed shrinkage of the remaining brain mets and things have continued from there. Shrinkage in the brain seems to be slower than the shrinkage that has happened in the body, which makes sense given the blood brain barrier, but shrinkage is still shrinkage and when it comes down to it I'll take it any way I can get it.

-Eva

ecc26
                                Participant

-Eva

csellers23
                                  Participant
                                    How many rounds did you have till your brain Mets went away? Your sorry sounds just like my husband’s.
                                    csellers23
                                    Participant
                                      tschmith
                                      Participant

Wonderful news, Eva! I'm so happy for you…you've been through so much.  I'm having some great results with Keytruda too!  Let's stick it to Melanoma!

Terrie

tschmith
                                        Participant

Terrie

Mat
                                        Participant

Mat
                                          Participant

rosa1
                                            Participant

Great news Eva! Wish you continued success smiley

rosa1
                                              Participant

rosa1
                                                Participant

_Paul_
                                                  Participant

That's awesome news Eva. Thanks for sharing it. What I find especially encouraging is that in spite of what looked like plateauing, the tumors again started shrinking.

_Paul_
                                                    Participant

That's awesome news Eva. Thanks for sharing it. What I find especially encouraging is that in spite of what looked like plateauing, the tumors again started shrinking.

_Paul_
                                                      Participant

kpcollins31
                                                        Participant

Great to hear – congratulations!

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                                          Participant

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                                            Participant

Kevin

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics