The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Starting Interferon Monday 8/15

Forums General Melanoma Community Starting Interferon Monday 8/15

Participant

Hi Everyone!!

I'll be starting my Interferon on Monday 8/15.  They're putting in my PICC line on Saturday.  Kinda sux cuz I was gonna go to the lake and have a sort of going away party!!  πŸ™‚  I'll be sure to keep it dry but not my tummy it will be nice and wet with some silver bullets!!  πŸ™‚ 

I'm not looking forward to this but I feel like I have to do it!! 

My new oncologist is super cool!  Never had a doctor hug me before!! 

Anyway I'll keep updating on how it's going!!

Hi Everyone!!

I'll be starting my Interferon on Monday 8/15.  They're putting in my PICC line on Saturday.  Kinda sux cuz I was gonna go to the lake and have a sort of going away party!!  πŸ™‚  I'll be sure to keep it dry but not my tummy it will be nice and wet with some silver bullets!!  πŸ™‚ 

I'm not looking forward to this but I feel like I have to do it!! 

My new oncologist is super cool!  Never had a doctor hug me before!! 

Anyway I'll keep updating on how it's going!!

Denise  πŸ™‚

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        triciad
        Participant

Best of luck with the Interferon.  Remember…drink PLENTY of water.  Keep us posted on how things are going!

Tricia

triciad
          Participant

Best of luck with the Interferon.  Remember…drink PLENTY of water.  Keep us posted on how things are going!

Tricia

jimjoeb
            Participant

Good luck and keep us posted!

jimjoeb
              Participant

Good luck and keep us posted!

mcscituate
                Participant

Hi Denise,

You will get through it!  Just take all the advice your nurses provide you…and yes..drink lots of water. Advil did the trick on muscle pains. I am clear after a year on Interferon…hang in there…

mcscituate
                  Participant

Hi Denise,

You will get through it!  Just take all the advice your nurses provide you…and yes..drink lots of water. Advil did the trick on muscle pains. I am clear after a year on Interferon…hang in there…

bs010kbb
                    Participant

Thinking of you Denise and wishing you the best of luck on Monday. I plan on starting my treatment in the next few weeks – still recovering from surgery. Currently viewing options to participate in a local Trial with Yervoy vs. Interferon but still waiting on details – best wishes to you – please continue to keep us posted.

bs010kbb
                      Participant

Thinking of you Denise and wishing you the best of luck on Monday. I plan on starting my treatment in the next few weeks – still recovering from surgery. Currently viewing options to participate in a local Trial with Yervoy vs. Interferon but still waiting on details – best wishes to you – please continue to keep us posted.

MariaH
                        Participant

Best of luck with Interferon Denise!  Like others have said, keep up on the fluids.  Also remember to alternate between tylenol and ibuprofen for the fever/chills.  They used to give Dave 2 tylenol before infusion, then 2 advil before we left the hospital.  And keep up your supply of bananas –  they really do help.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.  And remember, if it gets rough, post here for support.  Many can chime in and help you when you want to toss in the towel….

Best wishes,

Maria

DeniseK
                            Participant

Thank you everyone!!  I know this is a controversial drug but I gotta do something.  My oncologist said I had about a 65% chance to recur.  In San Fran they said higher!  So if I don't do it and I recur I'll never know if it would have worked.  If I do it and recur at least I tried.  It seriously messes with your head about the side effects and all when I've been told I'm NED.  It's like do I really have to do it??  What's the deal with the bananas?  I heard sweet fruit and slurpees before but not bananas!  Is it the potassium?

Well thank you everyone for your support.  There's a girl Cyndy that is on here that will be starting on Monday too.  Hopefully we can support each other through it! 

Denise

MariaH
                              Participant

Bananas – the world's perfect fruit.  They help with liver functions (which Interferon sometimes messes with).  Dave also walked around with a gallon jug of water.  It helped with the headaches.

DeniseK
                                Participant

OOOHHH!! Makes sense πŸ™‚ 

Thanks! 

DeniseK
                                  Participant

OOOHHH!! Makes sense πŸ™‚ 

Thanks! 

MariaH
                                    Participant

Bananas – the world's perfect fruit.  They help with liver functions (which Interferon sometimes messes with).  Dave also walked around with a gallon jug of water.  It helped with the headaches.

DeniseK
                                      Participant

Thank you everyone!!  I know this is a controversial drug but I gotta do something.  My oncologist said I had about a 65% chance to recur.  In San Fran they said higher!  So if I don't do it and I recur I'll never know if it would have worked.  If I do it and recur at least I tried.  It seriously messes with your head about the side effects and all when I've been told I'm NED.  It's like do I really have to do it??  What's the deal with the bananas?  I heard sweet fruit and slurpees before but not bananas!  Is it the potassium?

Well thank you everyone for your support.  There's a girl Cyndy that is on here that will be starting on Monday too.  Hopefully we can support each other through it! 

Denise

MariaH
                                      Participant

Best of luck with Interferon Denise!  Like others have said, keep up on the fluids.  Also remember to alternate between tylenol and ibuprofen for the fever/chills.  They used to give Dave 2 tylenol before infusion, then 2 advil before we left the hospital.  And keep up your supply of bananas –  they really do help.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.  And remember, if it gets rough, post here for support.  Many can chime in and help you when you want to toss in the towel….

Best wishes,

Maria

mombase
                                        Participant

Your doctor hugged you??? I am totally jealous! I have to admit, I thought about hugging my doc today instead of shaking his hand, but I didn't want to scare him on our first meeting!  Good luck, Denise, I will be sending prayers your way…

Cristy, Stage IV

nicoli
                                            Participant

My doctor ALWAYS hugs me. And she says things like "now you don't worry until I tell you to worry" and "we can get through this". Just what I need, a  doctor and a mom all in one!

Nicki, stage 3b

nicoli
                                              Participant

My doctor ALWAYS hugs me. And she says things like "now you don't worry until I tell you to worry" and "we can get through this". Just what I need, a  doctor and a mom all in one!

Nicki, stage 3b

mombase
                                              Participant

Your doctor hugged you??? I am totally jealous! I have to admit, I thought about hugging my doc today instead of shaking his hand, but I didn't want to scare him on our first meeting!  Good luck, Denise, I will be sending prayers your way…

Cristy, Stage IV

eaca
                                                Participant
                                                  Best of luck, Denise. I’ll be thinking of you. I’m starting two days after you on Wednesday, so will follow eagerly your reports and hope we both make it through this whole!
                                                  Best wishes, Elisa
                                                    NYKaren
                                                    Participant

Good lluck, Denise, Elisa and anyone starting anything new this week!

DeniseK
                                                      Participant

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!! 

******BIG HUGS FOR YOU ALL******

Denise

DeniseK
                                                        Participant

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!! 

******BIG HUGS FOR YOU ALL******

Denise

NYKaren
                                                          Participant

Good lluck, Denise, Elisa and anyone starting anything new this week!

eaca
                                                          Participant
                                                            Best of luck, Denise. I’ll be thinking of you. I’m starting two days after you on Wednesday, so will follow eagerly your reports and hope we both make it through this whole!
                                                            Best wishes, Elisa
                                                            MikeWI
                                                            Participant

Denise Good luck with your interferon treatment.  Please continue to post and let us know how it is going.  I am scheduled to begin interferon Treatment on 8/29

MikeWI

Stage 2c

MikeWI
                                                              Participant

Denise Good luck with your interferon treatment.  Please continue to post and let us know how it is going.  I am scheduled to begin interferon Treatment on 8/29

MikeWI

Stage 2c

vickykay
                                                                Participant

Denise, Please let me know how you are doing with the interferon treatment . I start treatment tomorrow, and would like to know what side effects you are having. Thanks Vickykay

vickykay
                                                                  Participant

Denise, Please let me know how you are doing with the interferon treatment . I start treatment tomorrow, and would like to know what side effects you are having. Thanks Vickykay

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics