The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Starting Interferon Mon. Morning

Forums General Melanoma Community Starting Interferon Mon. Morning

Participant

Interferon treatments to start on Monday. If anyone else is in this posistion, maybe we can share experience. Kind of afraid of the next month and then the second 11 month period as I am hearing many different stories on the side effects, but after talking with the melanoma team at St. James in Columbus Ohio I feel I really need to make it through for best chance of relapse. I will try and stay in touch

Interferon treatments to start on Monday. If anyone else is in this posistion, maybe we can share experience. Kind of afraid of the next month and then the second 11 month period as I am hearing many different stories on the side effects, but after talking with the melanoma team at St. James in Columbus Ohio I feel I really need to make it through for best chance of relapse. I will try and stay in touch

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

Thinking of you as you begin this journey.  Drink, drink, drink – tons of water and whatever else you can get down. 

Fen

Laurie from maine
            Participant

good luck!  I found the first couple of days of high dose the hardest then it was easier. I needed my anti nauseau medicine the first couple of days then was fine.   Definitely keep up the fluids, I drank at least one gatorade a day and that helped a lot along with all the water.  I also found it great advice to have my treatments late afternoon so I just went home and rested, I did get headaches a lot.  The chills are tough, I had a wonderful fleece blanket that I had to just wrap around me because of the shaking.  Keep us posted, and remember any issues you maybe having the nurses or someone here can help you with to maybe make getting thru it easier.

Vermont_Donna
              Participant

Hi,

Wishing you minimal side effects and do what people are recommending….drink plenty of fluids, and rest, use an electric blanket or fleecy blanket for the chills…you will get through this!!! Good luck!!!

Vermont_Donna

Vermont_Donna
                Participant

Hi,

Wishing you minimal side effects and do what people are recommending….drink plenty of fluids, and rest, use an electric blanket or fleecy blanket for the chills…you will get through this!!! Good luck!!!

Vermont_Donna

Laurie from maine
                  Participant

good luck!  I found the first couple of days of high dose the hardest then it was easier. I needed my anti nauseau medicine the first couple of days then was fine.   Definitely keep up the fluids, I drank at least one gatorade a day and that helped a lot along with all the water.  I also found it great advice to have my treatments late afternoon so I just went home and rested, I did get headaches a lot.  The chills are tough, I had a wonderful fleece blanket that I had to just wrap around me because of the shaking.  Keep us posted, and remember any issues you maybe having the nurses or someone here can help you with to maybe make getting thru it easier.

Fen
                  Participant

Thinking of you as you begin this journey.  Drink, drink, drink – tons of water and whatever else you can get down. 

Fen

John R
                    Participant

I did this treatment a year ago and agree with others, drink plenty of water and take Tylenol before treatment.  I did mine at the end of the day and was able to work in the morning from home.  I did notice that I was not able to drink soda like I did before, not a bad thing really.

The chills were the worst the first week, but I found using lots of blankets helped and then I would lose them as the fever set in. 

Good luck!

John R
                      Participant

I did this treatment a year ago and agree with others, drink plenty of water and take Tylenol before treatment.  I did mine at the end of the day and was able to work in the morning from home.  I did notice that I was not able to drink soda like I did before, not a bad thing really.

The chills were the worst the first week, but I found using lots of blankets helped and then I would lose them as the fever set in. 

Good luck!

Gene_S
                        Participant

Interferon is not being used anymore in most "Melanoma Centers of Excellence". You may want to get a second opinion at

Comprehensive Cancer Center
                          Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital &
                          Richard J. Solove Research Institute
                          Ohio State University
                          A458 Starling Loving Hall
                          320 West 10th Avenue
                          Columbus, Ohio 43210
                          (614) 293-7521
                          Michael A. Caligiuri, M.D., Director
                          William Carson, M.D. Surgical Oncologist/Melanoma

Gene_S
                          Participant

Interferon is not being used anymore in most "Melanoma Centers of Excellence". You may want to get a second opinion at

Comprehensive Cancer Center
                            Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital &
                            Richard J. Solove Research Institute
                            Ohio State University
                            A458 Starling Loving Hall
                            320 West 10th Avenue
                            Columbus, Ohio 43210
                            (614) 293-7521
                            Michael A. Caligiuri, M.D., Director
                            William Carson, M.D. Surgical Oncologist/Melanoma

ChrisTheWilsonZoo
                            Participant

I finished my year of interferon last November.  Here's some of my advice:

Drink lots of water.  (I ended up giving up ALL soda, had to switch to room temperature bottled water.)

To control your fever, before & after your interferon treatments/injections, take your Tylenol!  They're not kidding about that!

If you are prone to nausea, take your anti-nausea meds!  There are LOTS of anti-nausea options – not all of them work for everyone.  (For example, compazine actually made me MORE nauseous.) 

MY EXPERIENCE:  I'm VERY prone to nausea.  Initially, I was on Zofran ODT twice a day, a sancuso patch, and had oral phenergan available for "break-thru" nausea.  (During the month of high-dose interferon, they can also give you phenergan via IV.)  Once I adjusted to the interferon, I was able to drop the sancuso patch, and became less reliant on the phenergan.

Because I was so sensitive, I actually took anti-nausea meds twice a day, every day, whether I felt nauseous or not.  I quickly learned it was easier to stay ahead of the nausea than it was to play catch-up.  Less nausea meant more likelihood to eat!  (Loss of appetite is one of interferon's side-effects, and I definitely had it!)

NOTE:  This is just MY experience.  Interferon affects everybody differently.  You may not need anti-nausea medication at this level.

melanomafighter
                                Participant

good luck you can do this, its not fun but its worth it.  It was all that was offered to me and I ran with it.  I was scared and it was not near as bad for me as I had read or what people said it would be.  You will know after your first night how you will take to it.  Stay strong.  The low dose 11 month program was worse on me than the high dose and they say if you get through the 30 days of high you are well protected.  I did not complet the low dose and I am NED a year so far.  Take care and keep us updated on how you are please  Teresa in Indiana

melanomafighter
                                  Participant

good luck you can do this, its not fun but its worth it.  It was all that was offered to me and I ran with it.  I was scared and it was not near as bad for me as I had read or what people said it would be.  You will know after your first night how you will take to it.  Stay strong.  The low dose 11 month program was worse on me than the high dose and they say if you get through the 30 days of high you are well protected.  I did not complet the low dose and I am NED a year so far.  Take care and keep us updated on how you are please  Teresa in Indiana

ChrisTheWilsonZoo
                                  Participant

I finished my year of interferon last November.  Here's some of my advice:

Drink lots of water.  (I ended up giving up ALL soda, had to switch to room temperature bottled water.)

To control your fever, before & after your interferon treatments/injections, take your Tylenol!  They're not kidding about that!

If you are prone to nausea, take your anti-nausea meds!  There are LOTS of anti-nausea options – not all of them work for everyone.  (For example, compazine actually made me MORE nauseous.) 

MY EXPERIENCE:  I'm VERY prone to nausea.  Initially, I was on Zofran ODT twice a day, a sancuso patch, and had oral phenergan available for "break-thru" nausea.  (During the month of high-dose interferon, they can also give you phenergan via IV.)  Once I adjusted to the interferon, I was able to drop the sancuso patch, and became less reliant on the phenergan.

Because I was so sensitive, I actually took anti-nausea meds twice a day, every day, whether I felt nauseous or not.  I quickly learned it was easier to stay ahead of the nausea than it was to play catch-up.  Less nausea meant more likelihood to eat!  (Loss of appetite is one of interferon's side-effects, and I definitely had it!)

NOTE:  This is just MY experience.  Interferon affects everybody differently.  You may not need anti-nausea medication at this level.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics