The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Starting Interferon Mon. Morning

Forums General Melanoma Community Starting Interferon Mon. Morning

Participant

Interferon treatments to start on Monday. If anyone else is in this posistion, maybe we can share experience. Kind of afraid of the next month and then the second 11 month period as I am hearing many different stories on the side effects, but after talking with the melanoma team at St. James in Columbus Ohio I feel I really need to make it through for best chance of relapse. I will try and stay in touch

Interferon treatments to start on Monday. If anyone else is in this posistion, maybe we can share experience. Kind of afraid of the next month and then the second 11 month period as I am hearing many different stories on the side effects, but after talking with the melanoma team at St. James in Columbus Ohio I feel I really need to make it through for best chance of relapse. I will try and stay in touch

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Replies
        DebbieH
        Participant

Good luck to you – I don't know what I would have done without this bulletin board when I was going through it in 2001/2002.  It's good to see others going through the same thing.  Take it one day at a time and check in here so we can see how you're doing. 

DebbieH, stage IIIC, NED 9 1/2 years after interferon

DebbieH
          Participant

Good luck to you – I don't know what I would have done without this bulletin board when I was going through it in 2001/2002.  It's good to see others going through the same thing.  Take it one day at a time and check in here so we can see how you're doing. 

DebbieH, stage IIIC, NED 9 1/2 years after interferon

akls
            Participant

I did Interferon March 2009 to March 2010.  I'm celebrating 1 year off interferon on the 16th.  The first month is the hardest, but you can do it.  Make sure you are sleeping and drinking lots and eat whatever you can get down.  I didn't vomit, but nothing appealed to me.  Sweets were the one thing that seemed to taste normal and that I could eat without feeling sick.  I also ate plain noodles and rice with butter. 

It gets much easier on the "low" dose shots.  I ended up working once  the first month was done.  Good luck and feel free to contact me via my email that is listed in my profile. 

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
              Participant

I did Interferon March 2009 to March 2010.  I'm celebrating 1 year off interferon on the 16th.  The first month is the hardest, but you can do it.  Make sure you are sleeping and drinking lots and eat whatever you can get down.  I didn't vomit, but nothing appealed to me.  Sweets were the one thing that seemed to taste normal and that I could eat without feeling sick.  I also ate plain noodles and rice with butter. 

It gets much easier on the "low" dose shots.  I ended up working once  the first month was done.  Good luck and feel free to contact me via my email that is listed in my profile. 

Amy S. in Michigan

steelergirl
                Participant

I did Interferon October 2007-October 2008.  I worked while on the low dose.  I did not  like the taste of water, and started using the Crystal Light to Go Lemonade sticks in my water.  I even started eating yogurt.  I kept the Tyenol on hand.  You can do it.  Have the support on hand from others.  If you have any friends who are cancer survivors, talk to them, even though they did not have Melnoma.  I have 3 at church, and talking  to them was very helpful. 

steelergirl
                  Participant

I did Interferon October 2007-October 2008.  I worked while on the low dose.  I did not  like the taste of water, and started using the Crystal Light to Go Lemonade sticks in my water.  I even started eating yogurt.  I kept the Tyenol on hand.  You can do it.  Have the support on hand from others.  If you have any friends who are cancer survivors, talk to them, even though they did not have Melnoma.  I have 3 at church, and talking  to them was very helpful. 

ockelly
                    Participant

Heg,

Don't be discouraged by the first few days.  Many patients including my husband say the first 2-3 nights are the worst.

Expect fever, chills… bad case of the flu.  Take your tylenol and advil alternating every 3 hours.  Keep your nighttime dose by your bedside so you can take it if you wake up.  For the first week my husband took his around the clock but then the remaining weeks he only needed it around his dose and in the AM.  I imagine your doctor has given you a prescription for an antinausea medicine like Compazine,  Ativan,  Zofran. At least fill the Ativan (Lorazepam) It also helps you sleep so don't be afraid to take 1mg before bed.  Drink your water add crystal light or something to make it more appealing.  Always take IV fluids before your dose at your clinic even if your fluid intake has been good.  Have a meal ready to eat as soon as you get home from your infusion.  You'll want to eat and go to bed… no waiting around for dinner to be ready.

My husband is on week 3 of injections and his side effects are slowly improving.  His biggest complaints throughout have been fatigue and insomnia.  He has lost 25 lbs but was 225 so he isn't wasting away ๐Ÿ™‚  He still eats plenty just less than before.  He has a rash on his back and a new chronic cough.  But he is  sticking to his routines… work and exercise.

You can do it ๐Ÿ™‚   Let us know how it goes… good luck

Kelly

ockelly
                      Participant

Heg,

Don't be discouraged by the first few days.  Many patients including my husband say the first 2-3 nights are the worst.

Expect fever, chills… bad case of the flu.  Take your tylenol and advil alternating every 3 hours.  Keep your nighttime dose by your bedside so you can take it if you wake up.  For the first week my husband took his around the clock but then the remaining weeks he only needed it around his dose and in the AM.  I imagine your doctor has given you a prescription for an antinausea medicine like Compazine,  Ativan,  Zofran. At least fill the Ativan (Lorazepam) It also helps you sleep so don't be afraid to take 1mg before bed.  Drink your water add crystal light or something to make it more appealing.  Always take IV fluids before your dose at your clinic even if your fluid intake has been good.  Have a meal ready to eat as soon as you get home from your infusion.  You'll want to eat and go to bed… no waiting around for dinner to be ready.

My husband is on week 3 of injections and his side effects are slowly improving.  His biggest complaints throughout have been fatigue and insomnia.  He has lost 25 lbs but was 225 so he isn't wasting away ๐Ÿ™‚  He still eats plenty just less than before.  He has a rash on his back and a new chronic cough.  But he is  sticking to his routines… work and exercise.

You can do it ๐Ÿ™‚   Let us know how it goes… good luck

Kelly

triciad
                        Participant

Heg,

Good luck with the Interferon…you can do it!  I just finished my full year on October 30th.  I worked the whole time, and I teach first grade.  It's doable!  Some suggestions include drink plenty of water every day.  I hate water, but I liked it during my treatments…go figure.  I had my infusions around 4:30, so I was able to go home, eat, and go right to bed.  I usually slept from 7:30 PM until 6:30 AM.  I slept this much the whole year, but it was worth it for me.  I listened to my body and it craved sleep after a full day's work.  First few days of high dose I had fever and the chills during the night.  I had a fabulous blanket that kept me really warm.  On the low dose, I took the shots around 7:00, benadryl and 2 Tylenol.  Then, off to bed.  I was really tired, but I didn't think it was horrible.  I did have a rough time with food. 
                          Some things like vinegar just didn't work for me.  I enjoyed lemons, ice cream, rice pudding, activia yogurt, and slurpees!    I did well with sweets, too.  The funny thing is before the Interferon, I ate really healthy.  Then, on this drug, I ate a ton of junk.  My doctor said eat whatever I can keep down.  Now, I'm back to my healthy eating…and loving it!  Another thing is that the heat really bothered me during the summer. 

Everyone reacts differently to it, so I hope you find tolerable.  Best of luck and please let us know if you need any help.

God speed,

Tricia

triciad
                          Participant

Heg,

Good luck with the Interferon…you can do it!  I just finished my full year on October 30th.  I worked the whole time, and I teach first grade.  It's doable!  Some suggestions include drink plenty of water every day.  I hate water, but I liked it during my treatments…go figure.  I had my infusions around 4:30, so I was able to go home, eat, and go right to bed.  I usually slept from 7:30 PM until 6:30 AM.  I slept this much the whole year, but it was worth it for me.  I listened to my body and it craved sleep after a full day's work.  First few days of high dose I had fever and the chills during the night.  I had a fabulous blanket that kept me really warm.  On the low dose, I took the shots around 7:00, benadryl and 2 Tylenol.  Then, off to bed.  I was really tired, but I didn't think it was horrible.  I did have a rough time with food. 
                            Some things like vinegar just didn't work for me.  I enjoyed lemons, ice cream, rice pudding, activia yogurt, and slurpees!    I did well with sweets, too.  The funny thing is before the Interferon, I ate really healthy.  Then, on this drug, I ate a ton of junk.  My doctor said eat whatever I can keep down.  Now, I'm back to my healthy eating…and loving it!  Another thing is that the heat really bothered me during the summer. 

Everyone reacts differently to it, so I hope you find tolerable.  Best of luck and please let us know if you need any help.

God speed,

Tricia

BethA in VA
                            Participant

I just wanted to wish you well as you start your new journey.  I hope you do well and will keep you in my prayers.  Beth 3/B

BethA in VA
                              Participant

I just wanted to wish you well as you start your new journey.  I hope you do well and will keep you in my prayers.  Beth 3/B

lhaley
                                Participant

Thinking of you and hoping for limited side effects!!

Linda

lhaley
                                  Participant

Thinking of you and hoping for limited side effects!!

Linda

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics