The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Starting BioChemo

Forums General Melanoma Community Starting BioChemo

Participant

I'm starting biochemo ( the University of Colorado cocktail) Thursday the 6th. Will be in the hospital for one week, home for two weeks then back in for one week, etc. for a total of 3 months. I would really appreciate prayers and I will try to keep in touch to let you know how it's going and what others can expect if they choose this treatment.

Nicki, Stage 3b

I'm starting biochemo ( the University of Colorado cocktail) Thursday the 6th. Will be in the hospital for one week, home for two weeks then back in for one week, etc. for a total of 3 months. I would really appreciate prayers and I will try to keep in touch to let you know how it's going and what others can expect if they choose this treatment.

Nicki, Stage 3b

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linda J
        Participant
          Wishing you all the best!
          Beat that MM to the curb!
          You’ll be in my prayers

Linda J

Linda J
          Participant
            Wishing you all the best!
            Beat that MM to the curb!
            You’ll be in my prayers

Linda J

lhaley
            Participant

Wishing you a 100% response!!

Linda

lhaley
              Participant

Wishing you a 100% response!!

Linda

KevinM
                Participant

Nicki,

I wish you the best as you go into battle! It is tough…no getting around that…..BUT You Will Kick Mel ass!

I am a Bio-chemo graduate…class of 2006 (Stage 3 NED since)

Just a couple of tips…

1. tell the nurses how you are feeling and take all of the meds they offer!! They have something for any side affect.

2. Stay hydrated! water tasted awful but was much better with crystal light.

3. Try to get a little exercise each day…even if is only dragging your IV pole around the unit you will be in.

Hang in there…reach me by email if you have any questions or want to vent!!

All my best!

Kevin

[email protected]

KevinM
                  Participant

Nicki,

I wish you the best as you go into battle! It is tough…no getting around that…..BUT You Will Kick Mel ass!

I am a Bio-chemo graduate…class of 2006 (Stage 3 NED since)

Just a couple of tips…

1. tell the nurses how you are feeling and take all of the meds they offer!! They have something for any side affect.

2. Stay hydrated! water tasted awful but was much better with crystal light.

3. Try to get a little exercise each day…even if is only dragging your IV pole around the unit you will be in.

Hang in there…reach me by email if you have any questions or want to vent!!

All my best!

Kevin

[email protected]

dian in spokane
                    Participant

Nicki,

I'm just curious what exactly IS the U of CO biochemo cocktail?

dian in spokane
                      Participant

Nicki,

I'm just curious what exactly IS the U of CO biochemo cocktail?

nicoli
                        Participant

Oh, I plan on taking any drugs they give me……"just give me drugs and knock me out" for the week.

The University of Colorado biochemo is a mixture of DTIC, Cisplastin, Vinblastine, Interleukine 2 and Interferon. This is given around the clock via iv (except I think the interferon is a shot). My spelling may not be accurate. I'm not actually at the University of Colorado but live one hour north. My onc is in touch with the doctors there and this is what they strongly recommend for me. We will do the treatment at a local hospital.

I don't have tumors right now but have mel cells in my lymph system and on my scalp. Biochemo destroys tumors so I hope that it will kill melanoma cells even better.

Excited!

Nicki

nicoli
                          Participant

Oh, I plan on taking any drugs they give me……"just give me drugs and knock me out" for the week.

The University of Colorado biochemo is a mixture of DTIC, Cisplastin, Vinblastine, Interleukine 2 and Interferon. This is given around the clock via iv (except I think the interferon is a shot). My spelling may not be accurate. I'm not actually at the University of Colorado but live one hour north. My onc is in touch with the doctors there and this is what they strongly recommend for me. We will do the treatment at a local hospital.

I don't have tumors right now but have mel cells in my lymph system and on my scalp. Biochemo destroys tumors so I hope that it will kill melanoma cells even better.

Excited!

Nicki

Jim in Denver
                            Participant

Hi Nicki,

Sending thoughts and prayers your way.  Please let us know how you are doing, and keep the positive attitude.

Best Wishes,

Jim

Jim in Denver
                              Participant

Hi Nicki,

Sending thoughts and prayers your way.  Please let us know how you are doing, and keep the positive attitude.

Best Wishes,

Jim

Sherron
                                Participant

Nicki, wishing you the very, very best outcome.  Please keep us posted as you can.  Prayers definitely being sent your way.

Tale Care.

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER

Sherron
                                  Participant

Nicki, wishing you the very, very best outcome.  Please keep us posted as you can.  Prayers definitely being sent your way.

Tale Care.

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER

Rocklove
                                    Participant

Praying for you to have a successful treatment Nicki. Keep up the positive attitude.

Rocky (Stage IV Liver Mets)

Rocklove
                                      Participant

Praying for you to have a successful treatment Nicki. Keep up the positive attitude.

Rocky (Stage IV Liver Mets)

ShariC
                                        Participant

Nicki – You might not read this until you've recovered for a week or so, but, I want to offer some encouragement,.  I just finished Round 3 at UCCC last Friday.  I'll be finishing with Round 4 at the end of the month.  Home recovering, now.  Everybody seems to have difference experiences, so I don't have anything specific…just know it will pass and you'll feel like yourself again.   I have had a very good response (tumor totally shrunk before removal).  I think its a good program.  I will be at UCCC again Jan. 24th.  If you can, look me up on Monday.  All the other days, its not worth a visit as I am pretty out of it.  Good luck!  – Shari

ShariC
                                          Participant

Nicki – You might not read this until you've recovered for a week or so, but, I want to offer some encouragement,.  I just finished Round 3 at UCCC last Friday.  I'll be finishing with Round 4 at the end of the month.  Home recovering, now.  Everybody seems to have difference experiences, so I don't have anything specific…just know it will pass and you'll feel like yourself again.   I have had a very good response (tumor totally shrunk before removal).  I think its a good program.  I will be at UCCC again Jan. 24th.  If you can, look me up on Monday.  All the other days, its not worth a visit as I am pretty out of it.  Good luck!  – Shari

nicoli
                                            Participant

It took me this long to respond after my first biochemo experience. I went into the hospital for my first week of treatment on Jan 6th. Pretty out of it that week, I think I slept most of the time but I really can't remember.

NO nausea, NO vomiting, just diarrhea and fatigue. NO appetite, but my husband brought smoothies of protein powder, banana and rice milk and I forced them down. Lost 6 pounds which I can readily afford to lose. Some skin itching but they gave me lots of benadryl.

My blood counts all went really low but bounced back within a week of release. My doctor is awed at my "easy" first week and recovery. However, after two weeks at home , I am still extremely fatigued so much so that she ordered more tests and just found out my thyroid is now very low. That is easy to fix so it is good news.

I go back in this Thursday for "round 2". Kinda disappointed cuz I have sub q mets on my scalp and by observation, they don't seem to have shrunk after the first round of biochemo. I cried but am now encouraged that further treatment will kill those suckers.

We keep fighting. "Cancer picked the wrong bitch this time."

Nicki, Stage 3b, surgery, SLNB, full neck disection 23 nodes, biochemo

nicoli
                                              Participant

It took me this long to respond after my first biochemo experience. I went into the hospital for my first week of treatment on Jan 6th. Pretty out of it that week, I think I slept most of the time but I really can't remember.

NO nausea, NO vomiting, just diarrhea and fatigue. NO appetite, but my husband brought smoothies of protein powder, banana and rice milk and I forced them down. Lost 6 pounds which I can readily afford to lose. Some skin itching but they gave me lots of benadryl.

My blood counts all went really low but bounced back within a week of release. My doctor is awed at my "easy" first week and recovery. However, after two weeks at home , I am still extremely fatigued so much so that she ordered more tests and just found out my thyroid is now very low. That is easy to fix so it is good news.

I go back in this Thursday for "round 2". Kinda disappointed cuz I have sub q mets on my scalp and by observation, they don't seem to have shrunk after the first round of biochemo. I cried but am now encouraged that further treatment will kill those suckers.

We keep fighting. "Cancer picked the wrong bitch this time."

Nicki, Stage 3b, surgery, SLNB, full neck disection 23 nodes, biochemo

washoegal
                                                Participant

Good luck to all of you doing Bio Chemo my prayers and best wishes are with you.

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                                                  Participant

Good luck to all of you doing Bio Chemo my prayers and best wishes are with you.

Mary

Stage 3

jag
                                                    Participant

Hang in there Nicki, it's rough, but it's doable.

Timfishing2011
                                                        Participant

Hi- My husband is starting BIO Nov 14th, scared of the unknown but reading this blog helps us and we get some encouragement from all of you. I'll update after his first week there. he has Stage 3, no tumors, in blood cells, LNSD in between weeks 2 and 3.

we are going to be at UCCC under Dr Lewis' care.  any advise to help us through the first week is appreiated.. thank you

Tim and Shannon

Timfishing2011
                                                          Participant

Hi- My husband is starting BIO Nov 14th, scared of the unknown but reading this blog helps us and we get some encouragement from all of you. I'll update after his first week there. he has Stage 3, no tumors, in blood cells, LNSD in between weeks 2 and 3.

we are going to be at UCCC under Dr Lewis' care.  any advise to help us through the first week is appreiated.. thank you

Tim and Shannon

Timfishing2011
                                                            Participant

Tim and Shannon

jag
                                                            Participant

Hang in there Nicki, it's rough, but it's doable.

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics