The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Started Ipi nivo 10 days ago….inflammatory CRP now 5 times normal ?

Forums General Melanoma Community Started Ipi nivo 10 days ago….inflammatory CRP now 5 times normal ?

Participant

Hi Folks,

Started Ipi nivo week last Monday.  Bloods on Mon showed CRP had leapt from 19 to 50 in a week ( or about 5 times normal cut off ) Still on antibiotics following surgical wound infection but after 2 months of high dose antiiotics that should not be impacting on the values unless side effect of drugs ??

Not much to shout about by way of obvious side effects so far, but have noticed an increased tenderness around the liver area where the melanoma has spread to. Has anyone else noticed this when starting treatment  and is this a good sign or is it more likely to be disease progression causing it ?

Hoping that inflammatory markers aren't flagging up side effects brewing up. Taking my Vit D , omega 3 and probiotics…… 

Any insights welcome

Deb

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        snow white
        Participant

Oh Goodness Deb, I don't have any insights, but I hope someone chimes in here to give you some advise.  I am so sorry you are going through all of this, I know its been difficult for you and the family.  

Feel better my friend, keep the fine fight!

xo

snow white
          Participant

Oh Goodness Deb, I don't have any insights, but I hope someone chimes in here to give you some advise.  I am so sorry you are going through all of this, I know its been difficult for you and the family.  

xo

debwray
              Participant

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the kind words and empathy. Some days are easier than others dealing with all of this . Just wanted to try to get a feel for reactions .. but so much of this seems to vary between individuals it is hard to work things out.

Deb

xx

debwray
                Participant

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the kind words and empathy. Some days are easier than others dealing with all of this . Just wanted to try to get a feel for reactions .. but so much of this seems to vary between individuals it is hard to work things out.

Deb

xx

debwray
                  Participant

Hi Jennifer,

Deb

xx

snow white
                  Participant

xo

Polymath
                    Participant

Hi Deb,

It seem counter-intuitive, but all evidence I've read here points to side-effects being a sign of response.  In other words, no pain, no gain.  As for tenderness at tumor site, this may indeed be pseudo-progression or a common inflammation of the tumor brought on by immune system attack.  Again, an excellent sign of response, and not to be confused with progression at this early stage.  Not sure about blood-work issues but unless your doc is very concerned, I wouldn't be.  Best to you being a complete responder.

Gary

debwray
                        Participant

Thank you for the info. The CRP does have me a bit spooked at the moment but so far no rashes or toilet troubles…

Wish I had a magic wand and could make us all complete responders…have a graduation I want to get to and various other targets to aim for…

How is your head- still spinning with choices ? Hope all goes well whatever you decide.

Deb

debwray
                          Participant

Thank you for the info. The CRP does have me a bit spooked at the moment but so far no rashes or toilet troubles…

Wish I had a magic wand and could make us all complete responders…have a graduation I want to get to and various other targets to aim for…

How is your head- still spinning with choices ? Hope all goes well whatever you decide.

Deb

debwray
                            Participant

Deb

Polymath
                            Participant

Hi Deb,

It seem counter-intuitive, but all evidence I've read here points to side-effects being a sign of response.  In other words, no pain, no gain.  As for tenderness at tumor site, this may indeed be pseudo-progression or a common inflammation of the tumor brought on by immune system attack.  Again, an excellent sign of response, and not to be confused with progression at this early stage.  Not sure about blood-work issues but unless your doc is very concerned, I wouldn't be.  Best to you being a complete responder.

Gary

Polymath
                              Participant

Hi Deb,

Gary

Cindyco
                                Participant

Hi Deb,

My mother's liver numbers went sky high around 2 weeks after her dose of ipi/nivo.  She is currently on steroids and cannot continue treatment until the steroids are tapered off.  We did try milk thistle and papaya leaf tea, which has helped bring her numbers down pretty quickly.  It's still not optimal because she can't continue treatment, but we are hopeful to get back on track soon. 

She did have dull to sharp pains in the area where her liver is (although she does not have any liver mets), and those turned out to have gone away with the steroids.  I would keep your doctor posted, because this could be sign of colitis, which they told me was life threatening if not treated early enough with the steroids. 

Cindyco
                                  Participant

Hi Deb,

My mother's liver numbers went sky high around 2 weeks after her dose of ipi/nivo.  She is currently on steroids and cannot continue treatment until the steroids are tapered off.  We did try milk thistle and papaya leaf tea, which has helped bring her numbers down pretty quickly.  It's still not optimal because she can't continue treatment, but we are hopeful to get back on track soon. 

She did have dull to sharp pains in the area where her liver is (although she does not have any liver mets), and those turned out to have gone away with the steroids.  I would keep your doctor posted, because this could be sign of colitis, which they told me was life threatening if not treated early enough with the steroids. 

Cindyco
                                    Participant

Hi Deb,

Hukill
                                      Participant

I am on the combo, in second stage of just nivo alone. About a couple of weeks after my 2nd dose I started running fever, was told to report to nearest ER. Oncologist put me on antibiotics even though lab results on white blood cell count were normal as was liver. 3 days later I saw my oncologist and was admitted to the hospital because my lab that morning had my liver counts 6 times above normal. They stopped the antibiotics and after 3 days of every test for infection I was released due to my liver counts going back down and no infection. I ran fever for 6 weeks and it was determined the antibiotics increased my liver counts but they are normal now. They have only been high after taking antibiotics. 

Hukill
                                        Participant

I am on the combo, in second stage of just nivo alone. About a couple of weeks after my 2nd dose I started running fever, was told to report to nearest ER. Oncologist put me on antibiotics even though lab results on white blood cell count were normal as was liver. 3 days later I saw my oncologist and was admitted to the hospital because my lab that morning had my liver counts 6 times above normal. They stopped the antibiotics and after 3 days of every test for infection I was released due to my liver counts going back down and no infection. I ran fever for 6 weeks and it was determined the antibiotics increased my liver counts but they are normal now. They have only been high after taking antibiotics. 

Hukill
                                          Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics