The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Started Abraxane Today

Forums General Melanoma Community Started Abraxane Today

Participant

We got a second opinion with Dr. Hamid on Friday and he encouraged us to also get the Abraxane as planned because of the aggressive lung nodules.  He said that he couldn’t offer us any trials right now because of her liver issues, but that there is a trial being amended at UCLA in the future that will allow for Grade 3-4 toxicities (not sure which trial this is yet).  He is planning to contact Dr. Ribas and we will go from there. Dr. Hamid also hasn’t ruled out immunotherapy in the future.  He is taking another look at my mom’s liver numbers and wants to figure out what caused it—if he can figure that out, then the immunotherapy doors will open again.  So things are in the works, but we are more scared than hopeful right now.

So my mom started Abraxane today.  We pray that she will tolerate it well and that we will have a good response.

In the meantime, we are getting her tumor tested and are praying that there is an actionable mutation.  It looks like she is BRAF and KIT negative, so hoping for an NRAS mutation or a mutation that shows up and can be treated by other cancers.  We also have an appointment scheduled with UCSD which has both the I-Predict program and NCI-MATCH.  According to UCSD, I-Predict has more flexible criteria, but they offer both.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        maperny
        Participant

Hope the Abraxane goes well and buys time to get onto some furrger treatment.

Maria

Bubbles
          Participant

Hang in there.  I wish you and your mom my best.  c

snow white
            Participant

it sounds like you are on the right track.  Hang in there and stay strong.  

xo Jen

jpg
                Participant

I havent abraxane prescribed for melanoma.  It can have some bad side effects. (it is known as taxol for breast cancer which I had.  hope he does ok

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics