The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage IV diagnosis??!

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage IV diagnosis??!

Participant

My husband recently diagnosed in August, he had an 8mm mass removed from his arm, informed that it was a bad mass, stage IV, however it is atypical in that thats the only place it was.  It did not spread to the lymph nodes.  Our next step is immunotherapy in 2 weeks and they want to do an MRI on his brain even though we've already done all the PET MRI CAT scans.  I dont know how to feel about stage 4 with this?  What are the survival rates then if it was only in one place?  Will it show up again since it was so bad?  

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        RaquelP
        Participant

If it hasn't spread to the lymphnodes or distant sites, it is not stage 4. Are you sure you aren't referencing the CLarks level? This is very different from the stage.

RaquelP
          Participant

If it hasn't spread to the lymphnodes or distant sites, it is not stage 4. Are you sure you aren't referencing the CLarks level? This is very different from the stage.

blessd4x
              Participant

No, definitely stage 4, thats why Im confused.  Everything Ive read doesnt put it to a 4.  However, the Dr. said even though it hasnt spread, it was so bad where it was they have to stage it at a 4. I asked it it was the clarks level. Its not.  They said this happens in only about 3% of them. 

blessd4x
                Participant

No, definitely stage 4, thats why Im confused.  Everything Ive read doesnt put it to a 4.  However, the Dr. said even though it hasnt spread, it was so bad where it was they have to stage it at a 4. I asked it it was the clarks level. Its not.  They said this happens in only about 3% of them. 

blessd4x
                  Participant

RaquelP
                  Participant

kylez
                    Participant

Since no one can say for sure, I think it's just odds and statistics. As many say here, no one is a statistic. In his specific situation, maybe his oncologist can say something. It can be put in remission for many years now with immunotherapies. They don't even know how many yet because some people comtinue to do well.

kylez
                      Participant

Since no one can say for sure, I think it's just odds and statistics. As many say here, no one is a statistic. In his specific situation, maybe his oncologist can say something. It can be put in remission for many years now with immunotherapies. They don't even know how many yet because some people comtinue to do well.

kylez
                        Participant

273c
                          Participant

My husband is also stage IV, he had it in a lymph node and another internal tumor.  He had them completely removed by surgery and is now stage IV NED (no evidence of disease). Because there were two sites and because melanoma is what it is, he is on Opdivo to get any of the smaller mets that he might have had that the scans couldn't pick up. 

Here's what I know.  First if you go hunting on the internet for statistical prognosis data on Melanoma it is all old and therefore wrong.   The survival rates are going to go way up in the next five year.  There are immunotherapy drugs that got apporved in the past year that are going to dramatically change that prognosis data. 

Big THANK YOU to the ratties!!!!yes

Now those immunotherapy drugs, because they are new, are not approved for lower stages.  I have to agree I find it a bit odd that your husband is a stage IV with only one site.  But starting an immunotherapy drug like Opdivo or Keytruda might not be an option if he weren't a stage IV.  

There is something about the uptake/contrast piece that makes a brain MRI different.  Melanoma shows up because it has a high metabolic rate.  Trouble is so does your brain so to see a brain met on an MRI you need a different contrast or setting or something.

Good Luck,

Kathy

273c
                            Participant

My husband is also stage IV, he had it in a lymph node and another internal tumor.  He had them completely removed by surgery and is now stage IV NED (no evidence of disease). Because there were two sites and because melanoma is what it is, he is on Opdivo to get any of the smaller mets that he might have had that the scans couldn't pick up. 

Here's what I know.  First if you go hunting on the internet for statistical prognosis data on Melanoma it is all old and therefore wrong.   The survival rates are going to go way up in the next five year.  There are immunotherapy drugs that got apporved in the past year that are going to dramatically change that prognosis data. 

Now those immunotherapy drugs, because they are new, are not approved for lower stages.  I have to agree I find it a bit odd that your husband is a stage IV with only one site.  But starting an immunotherapy drug like Opdivo or Keytruda might not be an option if he weren't a stage IV.  

There is something about the uptake/contrast piece that makes a brain MRI different.  Melanoma shows up because it has a high metabolic rate.  Trouble is so does your brain so to see a brain met on an MRI you need a different contrast or setting or something.

Good Luck,

Kathy

273c
                              Participant

Good Luck,

Kathy

jbronicki
                                Participant

Hello,

It sounds similar to my husband's.  He is actually an unknown stage because they saw no skin component with his tumor (he had a 19 mm tumor removed) and the doctor put him at "Stage 4", but essentially he could be anywhere between stage 2 and 4.  This is what is considered a metastatic cutaneous melanoma of unknown primary.  They beleive it's a metastases because they saw no skin component to suggest it was the primary  but they can't confirm that it is through any type of pahtological testing.  His doctor at MD Anderson essentially was willing to stage him the highest in order to offer us the most treatment options.  His SLNB came back negative and his scans have been clear to date.  In the medical literature, no matter what this is called (Primary Dermal, Solitary Dermal, Cutaneous Metatstases, Melanoma of unknown primary), the rate of this type of occurene is what you are saying, somewhere between 3-5%.

Do you happen to know if the pathology report mentioned anything about an epidermal component?

The survival rates for this have been compared to those for comparative local and  regional spread.  BUT, again this is only due to retrospective analysis of patients they have identified as possibly being in this group through their medical records. There is no way to confirm clinically my husband's stage.

So, unfortunately, you may be in an unknown situation regardless of the stage.  That is where we are at and my husband has chosen a wait and watch approach (however, the oncologist was willing ot offer him immunotherapy).  Essentially, the protocol of scans and visits is the same whether we call this a Primary Dermal or not, still just waiting at this point.  The prognosis tend to be better for solitary dermal melanoma of unknow primary, but again no way to know.  A negative SLNB is always good though as well as clear scans. 

As people have cautioned already, the data they use to do these types of analysis is almost always behind current time, and therefore the prognosis data is from a time with different treatment options and there are great treatment options coming down the pipeline everyday. 

I have the same concerns you have in terms of recurrence or spread.  If you need, I can post links to the studies and their outcomes, but I hesitate to do that unless someone feels comfortable reading the medical jargon.  The statistics can look scary without a good understanding of these numbers and how they create these meta-analyses.

Best and good luck!

Jackie

jbronicki
                                  Participant

Hello,

It sounds similar to my husband's.  He is actually an unknown stage because they saw no skin component with his tumor (he had a 19 mm tumor removed) and the doctor put him at "Stage 4", but essentially he could be anywhere between stage 2 and 4.  This is what is considered a metastatic cutaneous melanoma of unknown primary.  They beleive it's a metastases because they saw no skin component to suggest it was the primary  but they can't confirm that it is through any type of pahtological testing.  His doctor at MD Anderson essentially was willing to stage him the highest in order to offer us the most treatment options.  His SLNB came back negative and his scans have been clear to date.  In the medical literature, no matter what this is called (Primary Dermal, Solitary Dermal, Cutaneous Metatstases, Melanoma of unknown primary), the rate of this type of occurene is what you are saying, somewhere between 3-5%.

Do you happen to know if the pathology report mentioned anything about an epidermal component?

The survival rates for this have been compared to those for comparative local and  regional spread.  BUT, again this is only due to retrospective analysis of patients they have identified as possibly being in this group through their medical records. There is no way to confirm clinically my husband's stage.

So, unfortunately, you may be in an unknown situation regardless of the stage.  That is where we are at and my husband has chosen a wait and watch approach (however, the oncologist was willing ot offer him immunotherapy).  Essentially, the protocol of scans and visits is the same whether we call this a Primary Dermal or not, still just waiting at this point.  The prognosis tend to be better for solitary dermal melanoma of unknow primary, but again no way to know.  A negative SLNB is always good though as well as clear scans. 

As people have cautioned already, the data they use to do these types of analysis is almost always behind current time, and therefore the prognosis data is from a time with different treatment options and there are great treatment options coming down the pipeline everyday. 

I have the same concerns you have in terms of recurrence or spread.  If you need, I can post links to the studies and their outcomes, but I hesitate to do that unless someone feels comfortable reading the medical jargon.  The statistics can look scary without a good understanding of these numbers and how they create these meta-analyses.

Best and good luck!

Jackie

273c
                                      Participant

It does sound farmilar.  Our docs wouldn't stage it until they got the results, after the surgery, from the second tumor.

We considered the wait and watch but with two sites it was obviously on the move.  A few months ago I did all sorts of research and I know what you mean about them looking bad if you don't really anaylize where those number come from. 

I don't see anything in the pathology report about epidermal component. 

I am hoping the immunotherapy knocks out anything left floating around.   I suspect my husband had a primary site a few years ago that his body dealt with.  

Kathy 

273c
                                        Participant

It does sound farmilar.  Our docs wouldn't stage it until they got the results, after the surgery, from the second tumor.

We considered the wait and watch but with two sites it was obviously on the move.  A few months ago I did all sorts of research and I know what you mean about them looking bad if you don't really anaylize where those number come from. 

I am hoping the immunotherapy knocks out anything left floating around.   I suspect my husband had a primary site a few years ago that his body dealt with.  

Kathy 

273c
                                          Participant

Kathy 

jbronicki
                                          Participant

Hello,

Best and good luck!

Jackie

blessd4x
                                            Participant

Thank you everyone for your guidence.  His mass was atypical and only about 3% act this way.  The stage is correct even though it doesnt quite fit the standard definition.  He is getting a brain specific MRI next week and immunotherapy starts then too.  He has developed a cough over the last week, been clammy feverish and overall weak.  I wish they would check his lungs too.  He doesnt smoke and maybe Im being overly cautious.  He's looking different too.  God I hope its just me….

blessd4x
                                              Participant

Thank you everyone for your guidence.  His mass was atypical and only about 3% act this way.  The stage is correct even though it doesnt quite fit the standard definition.  He is getting a brain specific MRI next week and immunotherapy starts then too.  He has developed a cough over the last week, been clammy feverish and overall weak.  I wish they would check his lungs too.  He doesnt smoke and maybe Im being overly cautious.  He's looking different too.  God I hope its just me….

blessd4x
                                                Participant

casagrayson
                                                    Participant

My heart goes out to you.  I hope and pray that the MRI shows nothing else, and that he is a complete responder to the immunotherapy.  (I'm a worrier, too. Every cough, every pain …)

casagrayson
                                                      Participant

My heart goes out to you.  I hope and pray that the MRI shows nothing else, and that he is a complete responder to the immunotherapy.  (I'm a worrier, too. Every cough, every pain …)

casagrayson
                                                        Participant

ed williams
                                                          Participant

Hi Blessd4x, I remember what it was like two years ago when my wife was watching me like a hawk and every caugh, sneeze or funny noise made her ask " are you all right". I found myself looking up to see her watching me for any sign of distress. Well, I am hear 2 and a half years later and she has finally started to relax and not freak out at every noise but I know it was hard for her at the beginning. Wishing you the best!!! Ed

ed williams
                                                            Participant

Hi Blessd4x, I remember what it was like two years ago when my wife was watching me like a hawk and every caugh, sneeze or funny noise made her ask " are you all right". I found myself looking up to see her watching me for any sign of distress. Well, I am hear 2 and a half years later and she has finally started to relax and not freak out at every noise but I know it was hard for her at the beginning. Wishing you the best!!! Ed

blessd4x
                                                              Participant

Thank you everyone!  Seems me jumping at every sneeze, cough or sniffle is normal.  Hope the relaxing comes soon, still an uphill climb. 

blessd4x
                                                                Participant

Thank you everyone!  Seems me jumping at every sneeze, cough or sniffle is normal.  Hope the relaxing comes soon, still an uphill climb. 

blessd4x
                                                                  Participant

ed williams
                                                                    Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics