The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage IV-brain/liver mets starting WBR tomorrow

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage IV-brain/liver mets starting WBR tomorrow

Participant

So I'm starting my 10 days of whole brain radiation tomorrow. My neuroncologist said I would need chemo afterward, any idea what they might use?

She also told me I am BRAF positive so that's good.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Patina
        Participant
          Hi,

Not sure how many lesions you have, but my Mom had 9 and had gamma knife radiation followed by Yervoy 4 days later. The tumors for the most part are stable and she has done really well. – She to is BRAF + and + for PD1.

There seems to be a synergistic effect when you use the gamma knife radiation, it may turn on the immune system and when you get Yervoy it puts it into high gear. There is a retrospective analysis with patients on Yervoy who had tumors (they should not have received treatment, but did) and they had good results.

I don’t think chemo is recommended for melanoma much. The immune enhancing drugs seem to be the go to drugs right now.

http://m.cancer.org/cancer/skincancer-melanoma/detailedguide/melanoma-skin-cancer-treating-chemotherapy

Patina
          Participant
            Hi,

Not sure how many lesions you have, but my Mom had 9 and had gamma knife radiation followed by Yervoy 4 days later. The tumors for the most part are stable and she has done really well. – She to is BRAF + and + for PD1.

There seems to be a synergistic effect when you use the gamma knife radiation, it may turn on the immune system and when you get Yervoy it puts it into high gear. There is a retrospective analysis with patients on Yervoy who had tumors (they should not have received treatment, but did) and they had good results.

I don’t think chemo is recommended for melanoma much. The immune enhancing drugs seem to be the go to drugs right now.

http://m.cancer.org/cancer/skincancer-melanoma/detailedguide/melanoma-skin-cancer-treating-chemotherapy

Patina
            Participant
              Hi,

Dave from Ormond
              Participant

I just got fitted for my "fencing mask" for full brain radiation about 10 minutes ago.  I've got 4 small mets, several with the blood pockets.  I'm getting 15 treatments and then I start BRAF/MEK as the Yervoy did not work for me.

The chemo they're talking about is most likely Yervoy/Ipilimumab.  It's not technically chemo but is done the same way.  

If you do start on Yervoy, make sure to pay close attention to any odd headaches where your brain or eyes feel like they want to come out of your skull.  Seems to be the #1 side effect these days and causes swelling of the Pituatary Gland.  Some say it's a good sign that the Yervoy is working, however I had the headaches and did not get any positive results.

Good luck to you.  If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Dave

Dave from Ormond
                Participant

I just got fitted for my "fencing mask" for full brain radiation about 10 minutes ago.  I've got 4 small mets, several with the blood pockets.  I'm getting 15 treatments and then I start BRAF/MEK as the Yervoy did not work for me.

The chemo they're talking about is most likely Yervoy/Ipilimumab.  It's not technically chemo but is done the same way.  

If you do start on Yervoy, make sure to pay close attention to any odd headaches where your brain or eyes feel like they want to come out of your skull.  Seems to be the #1 side effect these days and causes swelling of the Pituatary Gland.  Some say it's a good sign that the Yervoy is working, however I had the headaches and did not get any positive results.

Dave

Dave from Ormond
                  Participant

Dave

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics