The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage IIIC celebrating 13 years NED

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage IIIC celebrating 13 years NED

Participant

Just wanted to post this info to show that there is hope, even when the prognosis looks pretty grim.  My husband was originally diagnosed in 1985.  The primary was removed by our small-town general surgeon, who said the margins were clear so not to worry.  We went on our merry way, thinking this was no big deal.  Then in November of 1998, 35 nodes were removed from his armpit, and all 35 were positive for melanoma.  A PET scan revealed numerous more enlarged nodes in the supraclavicular region, and altogether he had nearly 60 positive nodes.  He went on to do 4

Just wanted to post this info to show that there is hope, even when the prognosis looks pretty grim.  My husband was originally diagnosed in 1985.  The primary was removed by our small-town general surgeon, who said the margins were clear so not to worry.  We went on our merry way, thinking this was no big deal.  Then in November of 1998, 35 nodes were removed from his armpit, and all 35 were positive for melanoma.  A PET scan revealed numerous more enlarged nodes in the supraclavicular region, and altogether he had nearly 60 positive nodes.  He went on to do 4 rounds of biochemo, and had a complete response.  (All 24 nodes removed between rounds 2 and 3 contained black pigment from the melanoma, but no viable cancer cells)  So as of February of this year, we are celebrating 13 years of NED!  We are so very thankful to have been so blessed with this time, which at one point did not seem likely to happen.  At original diagnosis, we had 3 small children, and we can now say we have together seen them graduate from college, have attended their weddings, and welcomed 4 grandchildren.  I just wish that everyone could have the same outcome, as I hate to see all the sadness and suffering, with young lives cut short and losing good people way too soon.  My desire in posting this is that I might give someone early in their journey a ray of hope that things can turn out well, even when the odds are against you. 

Blessings,

Phyllis

Viewing 26 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jewel
        Participant

Phyllis,

That is such wonderful news….my husband is also 3C and I can only hope that we have the same outcome as you!!!!

Best Wishes,

Jewel

Jewel
          Participant

Phyllis,

That is such wonderful news….my husband is also 3C and I can only hope that we have the same outcome as you!!!!

Best Wishes,

Jewel

Jewel
            Participant

Phyllis,

Best Wishes,

Jewel

hope4cure1
              Participant

Wow!!!  Thank you so much for coming back with inspiration.  Many, many, many more years and great-grandchildren to you 🙂

Hope

hope4cure1
                Participant

Wow!!!  Thank you so much for coming back with inspiration.  Many, many, many more years and great-grandchildren to you 🙂

Hope

hope4cure1
                  Participant

Hope

Linny
                    Participant

Congratulations to your husband! This is wonderful news. May NED be with him for many more years to come.

Linny
                      Participant

Congratulations to your husband! This is wonderful news. May NED be with him for many more years to come.

Linny
                        Participant

triciad
                          Participant

Phyllis,

Thank you so much for posting this…a true ray of sunshine for many of us!  May you and your husband enjoy many more decades of NED status!!!!

Tricia

triciad
                            Participant

Phyllis,

Thank you so much for posting this…a true ray of sunshine for many of us!  May you and your husband enjoy many more decades of NED status!!!!

Tricia

triciad
                              Participant

Phyllis,

Tricia

newmanmark
                                Participant

Hi Phyllis,

Thank you so much for posting this message.  I am a stage 3c patient as well.  I am 2 years NED and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about the melanoma returning.  I did 7 months of Interferon before it sent me into a manic state.  For some reason I was having a hard time with the melanoma thoughts today and this mesage helped a lot.  Here's to many more years of cancer-free!

Cheers

Mark

newmanmark
                                  Participant

Hi Phyllis,

Thank you so much for posting this message.  I am a stage 3c patient as well.  I am 2 years NED and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about the melanoma returning.  I did 7 months of Interferon before it sent me into a manic state.  For some reason I was having a hard time with the melanoma thoughts today and this mesage helped a lot.  Here's to many more years of cancer-free!

Cheers

Mark

newmanmark
                                    Participant

Hi Phyllis,

Cheers

Mark

Mandi0280
                                      Participant

Thanks so much! Makes me wish more ppl would post their inspiring stories for us all to read. My husband is 38 and was diagnosed in October 2011 with 3b melanoma. He is on the ipi vs. interferon trial. Hope that his story turns out as well as your story has!!

Mandi0280
                                        Participant

Thanks so much! Makes me wish more ppl would post their inspiring stories for us all to read. My husband is 38 and was diagnosed in October 2011 with 3b melanoma. He is on the ipi vs. interferon trial. Hope that his story turns out as well as your story has!!

Mandi0280
                                          Participant

Lauri England
                                            Participant

I am 6 months out from Interferon treatment and was also stage 3.  I think about the crap returning very frequently, but it is getting less and less.  I also am very greatful for this awsome news. Thank you for sharing and CONGRATULATIONS!!

Lauri England
                                              Participant

I am 6 months out from Interferon treatment and was also stage 3.  I think about the crap returning very frequently, but it is getting less and less.  I also am very greatful for this awsome news. Thank you for sharing and CONGRATULATIONS!!

Lauri England
                                                Participant

lvairsupply
                                                  Participant

I needed this hope … my husband has been diagonsed with 3B … but we aren't finished.  They found .5 mm in on sentinal lobe and nothing in the other sentinal or the other 3 lobes they took.  We were hoping it had just start spreading.  We got PET scan results back yesterday and it showed nodes lighting up in his groin and pelvic area … so not sure exactly what that means.  The good news was it didn't show anything in his brain or organs.  He is 45 … we are very scared.  His orginal tumor was a mole on his back that turned black … 1.5 mm but ulcerated.  If he stays at 3B we intend to go the  interferon route … if it ups to 3C I am not sure what we should do.

lvairsupply
                                                    Participant

I needed this hope … my husband has been diagonsed with 3B … but we aren't finished.  They found .5 mm in on sentinal lobe and nothing in the other sentinal or the other 3 lobes they took.  We were hoping it had just start spreading.  We got PET scan results back yesterday and it showed nodes lighting up in his groin and pelvic area … so not sure exactly what that means.  The good news was it didn't show anything in his brain or organs.  He is 45 … we are very scared.  His orginal tumor was a mole on his back that turned black … 1.5 mm but ulcerated.  If he stays at 3B we intend to go the  interferon route … if it ups to 3C I am not sure what we should do.

lvairsupply
                                                      Participant

lvairsupply
                                                        Participant

lvairsupply
                                                          Participant

lvairsupply
                                                            Participant

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics