The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage I WLE opened

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage I WLE opened

Participant

Hello… I had a Stage 1 melanoma  WLE removed from my arm.  They took the stitches out after two weeks.   Now… about a week later… the wound has opened (I think I lifted something too heavy).    It looked infected so they cultured it and put me on antibiotics.  There is a hole about the size of an M&M that bleeds occasionally.   

They said they cant stitch it up again- it has to heal on its own and it will have more scar tissue.    My question is…. if in the future there were to be a melanoma recurrance at the site, would it grow through the scar tissue?   Extra scar tissue wont force it to stay under the skin and grow deep – will it?    I want to make sure this wont present problems later.  

Any thoughts?    

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

Same thing happened with mine (on my back) and it had to heal from the inside out. Scar is very pinkish, I would think if melanoma grew back it would be dark colored in a pink scar and would be able to be seen

JC
          Participant

Same thing happened with mine (on my back) and it had to heal from the inside out. Scar is very pinkish, I would think if melanoma grew back it would be dark colored in a pink scar and would be able to be seen

JC
            Participant

UBContributor
              Participant

One of my cuts after two surgeries (not M thou) got healed over 2-3 months, no infection though. It was running watery liquid with some blood in it for many weeks.  

UBContributor
                Participant

One of my cuts after two surgeries (not M thou) got healed over 2-3 months, no infection though. It was running watery liquid with some blood in it for many weeks.  

UBContributor
                  Participant

cancersnewnormal
                    Participant

Scar tissue will not "hold back" or restrict melanocytes. I once had a dark mole removed from my shoulder, which made a reappearance in the scar tissue. It looked REALLY odd, because it was mostly round when removed, but as it returned, it followed the "zipper" shape of the scar tissue and suture holes. Needless to say, the docs decided it was time for a much deeper removal.

cancersnewnormal
                      Participant

Scar tissue will not "hold back" or restrict melanocytes. I once had a dark mole removed from my shoulder, which made a reappearance in the scar tissue. It looked REALLY odd, because it was mostly round when removed, but as it returned, it followed the "zipper" shape of the scar tissue and suture holes. Needless to say, the docs decided it was time for a much deeper removal.

cancersnewnormal
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics