The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 4 Advice

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 4 Advice

Participant

My husband is stage 4. He is 47 and Diagnosed in May with mets in brain, lung, liver, neck, spine, ribs, knee. In June he was having end of life symptoms but then the dr put him on Mekenist and Teffinlat combo. Within a week he was seeing results. 2 weeks ago he started having pain again in back. He went for his appointment and the dr informed us that by his CT scan from Early August, that he didn't think he would react to the combo much longer and at that point would try Yervoy. It was likea punch in the gut! His lung tumor had shrunk to half is its size! How could he not be reacting to it much longer? 

My husband was depressed and forgot to mention the back pain. Now this week he is having pain in both lungs and as of 3 days ago is coughing up blood again. He has a MRI and PET scan scheduled for Oct 14. But we are supposed to fly to Florida for a month, leaving on the 20th and flying home on Nov 18th. His next appointment with the dr isn't til Dec 1. 

My question is….. Do you think we should cancel our trip?  My husband is scared we will get thee and he will just get worse and then will be so far away from his hospital and Drs he trusts. We would be staying at my parents house so we wouldn't be totally alone down there. But the word around down there is that their hospital/Drs stink when it comes to cancer. 

Another question, Has anyone ever had these experiences with Mek and Teff, where they seem to work great than all the sudden stop?

Does anyone know of anyone who has gone from that many mets stage 4 to NED? Not giving up hope, just trying to be realistic. 

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        emagdnim83
        Participant

BRAF-Inhibitors only work for a limited amount of time until the melanoma gets used to it and grows again. A combination with a MEK Inhibitor (such as Mekinist) should prolong the time until progression. Sorry to hear that it seems the combo doesn't work any longer on your husband.

I just posted about my father here (http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/zelboraf-failed-now-moving) on whom BRAF-Inhibitors didn't work at all so it's good that the combo at least helped to reduce your husbands tumor burden. May be now immunotherapy has got the time to work on your husband.

Becoming NED is a nice goal but i'm not sure if it is possible which such a high tumor burden like your husband seems to have (or my father has) but for me personally i would be grateful if at least we'll be able to stop the progression and control it from further progression. But there is always hope!

All the best to you and your husband.

emagdnim83
          Participant

BRAF-Inhibitors only work for a limited amount of time until the melanoma gets used to it and grows again. A combination with a MEK Inhibitor (such as Mekinist) should prolong the time until progression. Sorry to hear that it seems the combo doesn't work any longer on your husband.

I just posted about my father here (http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/zelboraf-failed-now-moving) on whom BRAF-Inhibitors didn't work at all so it's good that the combo at least helped to reduce your husbands tumor burden. May be now immunotherapy has got the time to work on your husband.

Becoming NED is a nice goal but i'm not sure if it is possible which such a high tumor burden like your husband seems to have (or my father has) but for me personally i would be grateful if at least we'll be able to stop the progression and control it from further progression. But there is always hope!

DennysGirl
              Participant

Thank you for your reply. I try to tell my husband that maybe in the prolonging of his life a cure will be found! Trying to keep the hope and fight alive. 

DennysGirl
                Participant

Thank you for your reply. I try to tell my husband that maybe in the prolonging of his life a cure will be found! Trying to keep the hope and fight alive. 

DennysGirl
                  Participant

DennysGirl
                    Participant

Will keep you and your dad in my prayers. 

DennysGirl
                      Participant

DennysGirl
                        Participant

yazziemac
                          Participant

I'm sorry that you have to go through this difficult situation.  I guess the decision about going to Florida depends on a few things, in my opinion:

1)  Does the doctor agree that flying is safe given the current situation?

2)  Would the trip allow you and your husband to relax, or would it increase feelings of anxiety?

3)  How long of a flight would it be to get home if your husband is feeling more ill?

4)  Can you ask your trusted doctors for a game plan to follow if your husband's symptoms worsen when he is in Florida?

My late husband, Pete, and I had longed to take a vacation when he was diagnosed with Stage 4, but we unfortunately never got the chance to. If you decide to go, I hope that you can have a wonderful time together. 

Yasmin

DennysGirl
                            Participant

I'm so sorry you and Pere could not go on a vacation. It breaks my heart. 

My husband and are big Disney fans and he wanted to go to Disney a couple days in FL but we don't really have the money with only getting his short term disability but I told him that if his scans come back bad, I'm taking his Credit cards and we are going! I'll deal with the debt later! I know it isn't responsible but I want him to be happy as much as possible! 

You make great points about the decision to go to FL or not. Thank you. 

Tomorrow we are supposed to go to our nieces wedding 4 hours away. We'll see how he does with that. 

Thanks again. 

DennysGirl
                              Participant

My husband and are big Disney fans and he wanted to go to Disney a couple days in FL but we don't really have the money with only getting his short term disability but I told him that if his scans come back bad, I'm taking his Credit cards and we are going! I'll deal with the debt later! I know it isn't responsible but I want him to be happy as much as possible! 

Tomorrow we are supposed to go to our nieces wedding 4 hours away. We'll see how he does with that. 

Thanks again. 

DennysGirl
                                Participant

I meant to type, Pete. Sorry. 

DennysGirl
                                  Participant

DennysGirl
                                    Participant

DennysGirl
                                      Participant

Thanks again. 

yazziemac
                                        Participant

I'm sorry that you have to go through this difficult situation.  I guess the decision about going to Florida depends on a few things, in my opinion:

2)  Would the trip allow you and your husband to relax, or would it increase feelings of anxiety?

3)  How long of a flight would it be to get home if your husband is feeling more ill?

4)  Can you ask your trusted doctors for a game plan to follow if your husband's symptoms worsen when he is in Florida?

My late husband, Pete, and I had longed to take a vacation when he was diagnosed with Stage 4, but we unfortunately never got the chance to. If you decide to go, I hope that you can have a wonderful time together. 

Yasmin

yazziemac
                                          Participant

Yasmin

emagdnim83
                                          Participant

arthurjedi007
                                            Participant

Is he going to get a dose of immunotherapy before the trip or staying on the pills? If immunotherapy he can get the dose right before leaving then come back in 3 weeks for next dose instead of 4. But really it's up to your husband. From my experience if he wants to do it and can do it then do it. This disease takes enough from us. But backing it up with treatment that the doc recommends and only cutting the trip a little short might be a wise win win situation. Just a thought.

Artie

DennysGirl
                                                Participant

Thanks, Artie for the advice! Coming back early is an option I suppose. Do you know if hospitals work with other hospitals to give immunotherapy? Like could he get a dose on Fl? 

We'll see how he feels. Right now it seems like the pain and his spirits seem to get worse by the day. 

RaquelP
                                                  Participant

I am so sorry to hear of your situation. But do not give up hope! All we have is hope, and many people who have been in dire situations such as yours can get their disease under control. I do, however, believe time is of the essence and you should be relentless with his doctor as to getting his appoitments, scans and treatment bumped up.

If you do go to FL, is it possible to get an appoitment at Moffit? They may move a bit faster in terms of scans/appts and could possibly expedite your husband being approved for immunotherapy. If it were me, I would be asking the doctor for Keytruda or Nivo instead of Yervoy as it shows better response rate. As for the doctor's in FL, I find it hard to believe, that a state with such a high rate of melanoma doesn't have well educated doctors for melanoma. I am sure you can find someone,and many on here can make a recommendation. Where abouts in FL?

While I would love to encourage you to take the trip, the reality is, the decision must be that of your husbands. My suggestion is to just reassure him that you are OK with whatever decision he makes (I'm sure you are already doing this).

Good luck, god bless and please continue to update us!

RaquelP
                                                    Participant

I am so sorry to hear of your situation. But do not give up hope! All we have is hope, and many people who have been in dire situations such as yours can get their disease under control. I do, however, believe time is of the essence and you should be relentless with his doctor as to getting his appoitments, scans and treatment bumped up.

If you do go to FL, is it possible to get an appoitment at Moffit? They may move a bit faster in terms of scans/appts and could possibly expedite your husband being approved for immunotherapy. If it were me, I would be asking the doctor for Keytruda or Nivo instead of Yervoy as it shows better response rate. As for the doctor's in FL, I find it hard to believe, that a state with such a high rate of melanoma doesn't have well educated doctors for melanoma. I am sure you can find someone,and many on here can make a recommendation. Where abouts in FL?

While I would love to encourage you to take the trip, the reality is, the decision must be that of your husbands. My suggestion is to just reassure him that you are OK with whatever decision he makes (I'm sure you are already doing this).

RaquelP
                                                      Participant

arthurjedi007
                                                        Participant

If he doesn't already have a doc in fl I would think it would not be easy and take time. Getting a new doc, records to them, insurance and everything takes time but maybe you can do most of it before leaving. Dr weber has left or is leaving moffit for New York university. There is a doc at mayo that Catherine Poole on mif likes. But I think that is in the ne part of Florida so a bit away from Disney. My experience with mayo in Rochester is you cannot ask for better caring doc's and staff. They are truly what the medical industry should be from my experience and opinion. Unfortunately I haven't seen that great of leading edge melanoma treatments offered but I keep praying.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                          Participant

If he doesn't already have a doc in fl I would think it would not be easy and take time. Getting a new doc, records to them, insurance and everything takes time but maybe you can do most of it before leaving. Dr weber has left or is leaving moffit for New York university. There is a doc at mayo that Catherine Poole on mif likes. But I think that is in the ne part of Florida so a bit away from Disney. My experience with mayo in Rochester is you cannot ask for better caring doc's and staff. They are truly what the medical industry should be from my experience and opinion. Unfortunately I haven't seen that great of leading edge melanoma treatments offered but I keep praying.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                            Participant

Artie

DennysGirl
                                                              Participant

Thanks, Artie for the advice! Coming back early is an option I suppose. Do you know if hospitals work with other hospitals to give immunotherapy? Like could he get a dose on Fl? 

We'll see how he feels. Right now it seems like the pain and his spirits seem to get worse by the day. 

DennysGirl
                                                                Participant

arthurjedi007
                                                                Participant

Is he going to get a dose of immunotherapy before the trip or staying on the pills? If immunotherapy he can get the dose right before leaving then come back in 3 weeks for next dose instead of 4. But really it's up to your husband. From my experience if he wants to do it and can do it then do it. This disease takes enough from us. But backing it up with treatment that the doc recommends and only cutting the trip a little short might be a wise win win situation. Just a thought.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                                  Participant

Artie

Mat
                                                                    Participant

Sorry to hear about your husband's situation.  If the scans are on the 14th, you should have the results (and the opportunity to discuss them by phone with the onc) before you leave.  Everyone is different, but I generally like to know where I stand (from a scan standpoint) before leaving for a trip.  (I also buy trip insurance, which I never did before Stage IV.) 

Mat
                                                                      Participant

Sorry to hear about your husband's situation.  If the scans are on the 14th, you should have the results (and the opportunity to discuss them by phone with the onc) before you leave.  Everyone is different, but I generally like to know where I stand (from a scan standpoint) before leaving for a trip.  (I also buy trip insurance, which I never did before Stage IV.) 

Mat
                                                                        Participant

Patina
                                                                          Participant

You mentioned that your husband forgot to tell the doctor about the pain… Have either of you communicated with your doctor or his nurse about this or are you waiting to see the doctor on the 14th? It seems strange to me if you've done nothing.  My Mom's Oncologist is in touch with us by email and wants us to contact him if something changes.  

If you have not already done so, I'd contact his office and tell him about the new symptoms. He or she might want to see your husband sooner or start treatment sooner… December is a long ways off.

Mek/Tef is known to stop working and it can be quick.  The question now is why was he on it? Was it to reduce the tumor size or burden, treat spinal tumors or prepare him for some surgery? Or was it to treat him with an immunotherapy after tumors were smaller? Could treating these tumors now be more successful (i.e.surgery, immunotherapy or gamma knife radiation)?  If so, did your doctor mention anything besides Yervoy?  (My Mom went with gamma knife followed by Yervoy and we kept the BRAF combo in her back pocket, because Keytruda was not an option then.)

It dose not sound like gamma knife radiation has been discussed for any spinal tumor issues and I would think that a radiologist oncologist needs to be consulted about this (or any brain mets if they are found later).

Frankly, based on what you've written I would get a second opinion on what your doctor is recommending right now and your husbands overall treatment.  You can do this at anytime and I'd do this ASAP.  Find a center of excellence and make an appointment with a melanoma specialist.

I'd put the trip to Florida on hold and take care of this unless you are giving up. It is more important to take care of this now for a better outcome rather than finding out later you lost an opportunity.  

Background on my Mom (79): Diagnosed with Stage IV 11/2013. Radiologist MISSED 3 Brain Mets! Had 2nd and 3rd opinion. 3rd opinion found brain mets! Saw a 4th opinion and weighed all options. Went with Gamma Knife Radiation followed by Yervoy 4 days later (was BRAF +). Had very very good results even with 3 different gamma knife radiation treatments for 28 brain tumors and a craniotomy. Cognitivly everything is fine and there were no known issues from treatment.  Very active and did very well on Yervoy. Now on Keytrua because of a recurrence at 14 months after the last gamma knife radiation treatment. Failed Yervoy because she got colitis. However, her tumors also disappeared or shrank to almost nothing.

Patina
                                                                            Participant

You mentioned that your husband forgot to tell the doctor about the pain… Have either of you communicated with your doctor or his nurse about this or are you waiting to see the doctor on the 14th? It seems strange to me if you've done nothing.  My Mom's Oncologist is in touch with us by email and wants us to contact him if something changes.  

If you have not already done so, I'd contact his office and tell him about the new symptoms. He or she might want to see your husband sooner or start treatment sooner… December is a long ways off.

Mek/Tef is known to stop working and it can be quick.  The question now is why was he on it? Was it to reduce the tumor size or burden, treat spinal tumors or prepare him for some surgery? Or was it to treat him with an immunotherapy after tumors were smaller? Could treating these tumors now be more successful (i.e.surgery, immunotherapy or gamma knife radiation)?  If so, did your doctor mention anything besides Yervoy?  (My Mom went with gamma knife followed by Yervoy and we kept the BRAF combo in her back pocket, because Keytruda was not an option then.)

It dose not sound like gamma knife radiation has been discussed for any spinal tumor issues and I would think that a radiologist oncologist needs to be consulted about this (or any brain mets if they are found later).

Frankly, based on what you've written I would get a second opinion on what your doctor is recommending right now and your husbands overall treatment.  You can do this at anytime and I'd do this ASAP.  Find a center of excellence and make an appointment with a melanoma specialist.

I'd put the trip to Florida on hold and take care of this unless you are giving up. It is more important to take care of this now for a better outcome rather than finding out later you lost an opportunity.  

Background on my Mom (79): Diagnosed with Stage IV 11/2013. Radiologist MISSED 3 Brain Mets! Had 2nd and 3rd opinion. 3rd opinion found brain mets! Saw a 4th opinion and weighed all options. Went with Gamma Knife Radiation followed by Yervoy 4 days later (was BRAF +). Had very very good results even with 3 different gamma knife radiation treatments for 28 brain tumors and a craniotomy. Cognitivly everything is fine and there were no known issues from treatment.  Very active and did very well on Yervoy. Now on Keytrua because of a recurrence at 14 months after the last gamma knife radiation treatment. Failed Yervoy because she got colitis. However, her tumors also disappeared or shrank to almost nothing.

Patina
                                                                              Participant

DZnDef
                                                                                  Participant

I agree with Patina, you need to get a second opinion ASAP.  Is your current doctor a melanoma specialist?  With all of those mets, I'm very surprised he is recommending Yervoy next.  Either Keytruda or Opdivo currently have better results with fewer adverse events.  I do not have information on how many metastases different people had, but most definitely, there exist people with Stage IV disease that are NED several years after starting Keytruda or Opdivo.  I'm hoping some of them will chime in here.  Please be aggressive in getting your husband treated.  Don't wait for your doctor to tell you what to do.  Call him with any changes to your husband's condition.  And get that second opinion with a melanoma specialist.  You have to drive this bus, they won't do it for you.

Best of luck to you both

DZnDef
                                                                                    Participant

I agree with Patina, you need to get a second opinion ASAP.  Is your current doctor a melanoma specialist?  With all of those mets, I'm very surprised he is recommending Yervoy next.  Either Keytruda or Opdivo currently have better results with fewer adverse events.  I do not have information on how many metastases different people had, but most definitely, there exist people with Stage IV disease that are NED several years after starting Keytruda or Opdivo.  I'm hoping some of them will chime in here.  Please be aggressive in getting your husband treated.  Don't wait for your doctor to tell you what to do.  Call him with any changes to your husband's condition.  And get that second opinion with a melanoma specialist.  You have to drive this bus, they won't do it for you.

Best of luck to you both

DennysGirl
                                                                                      Participant

Hubby now has an appointment with Oncologist this Friday. He will have results of both scans by then. We don't have a melanoma specialist close enough to us but our Dr is the one at our hospital who deals with all melanoma patients and also shares and gets consults from Mayo. We feel we can trust him.  Hubby is set on going to Florida. At this point, he still wants to go unless doc says no or he has to be home for new treatment.   The cancer takes so much and seems to do its damage so quickly that I feel like if he wants to go and feels up to going, I shouldn't stop him. 

DennysGirl
                                                                                        Participant

Hubby now has an appointment with Oncologist this Friday. He will have results of both scans by then. We don't have a melanoma specialist close enough to us but our Dr is the one at our hospital who deals with all melanoma patients and also shares and gets consults from Mayo. We feel we can trust him.  Hubby is set on going to Florida. At this point, he still wants to go unless doc says no or he has to be home for new treatment.   The cancer takes so much and seems to do its damage so quickly that I feel like if he wants to go and feels up to going, I shouldn't stop him. 

DennysGirl
                                                                                          Participant

Patina
                                                                                            Participant

I won't mince words since I've re-read all of the posts you have made since June and all of the excellent advice you've received. 

I would FIRE you if you were my patient advocate. 

Since June the people on this board have answered your questions but I can't see where the sound advice you have received has resulted in better care or decision making for your husbands condition. Neither you or your husband seem to be taking charge here and if there was ever a time to take charge it is now. 

Your husband is NOT seeing a melanoma specialist and is being treated by a general oncologist. You are taking and getting the advice of a general oncologist, which no one here recommends. Melanoma is tricky and at the very least you needed to get one second opinion from a melanoma specialist. You haven't done it. – Based on what you have said, the overall advice given by your doctor is outdated and more likely to end in bad outcome with no real chance for a good one. Please drive or fly somewhere and get one.

You also don't seem to be in communication with your husbands doctor about how he is doing between appointments.  You mentioned that your husband "forgot" to mention issues in one of his last appointments because he was depressed. Wasn't someone with him advocating for him? Wasn't there a list of questions for the doctor?  Doesn't your doctor want to know what is going on with him between appointments? Why did the people here on the board need to tell you to contact his oncologist? – I don't' understand this passive behavior when you are asking for help and have been given excellent advice on multiple occasions. Get the advice and take some action. 

Your husband has a brain met (06/2015). The only treatment he has received is the Mekenist and Teffinlat combo. This is NOT a reasonable treatment for brain mets. Your husband needs to see a radiation oncologist who specializes in SRS treatment (gamma knife radiation). Your doctor is NOT a radiation oncologist and should not be making a decision NOT to treat or at least refer you to a radiation oncologist months ago.

You needed to and need to now consider SRS treatment combined with other therapy.  There is an additive effect when the two are given together.  Something a melanoma specialist can tell you. Your general oncologist has said he isn't worried about one brain met.  

Brain mets spread. They seed. One can turn into many and your husband can have dementia like or Alzheimers like symptoms, his personality can change, his decision making can become erratic… The Mekenist and Teffinlat combo he is on can't help here if the tumors don't react to the pills. And when was his last brain MRI? SRS is treatment and the brain met your husband has would react. Right now you don't know what has happened. One brain met could be a dozen now. – Trust me I know from personal experience.

Please do yourself a favor and re-read all of the posts you placed and the responses you have received and do some research. I hope if you do this that you will make different and better decisions or at least be more curious than you have shown here. Your husband needs this and if you are not up to it find someone who is. It hard I know, but it is needed here.

Sorry to be so harsh, but I think you need a wake up call, to get a backbone and to fight for your husband and for the best treatment he can get. You haven't gotten the best treatment yet, but you've gotten great advice. Again, please re-read all of the responses to your posts.  I am hopeful that it you do so that it might help him get much better treatment. – I'd like your husband to have his trip to Florida, but I'd also like to see both of you get the best advice and treatment he needs now so he is around next year and beyond. If you don't, I fear that it is inevitable that he won't be around the way things are going.

Again, sorry to be so harsh.

Patina
                                                                                              Participant

I won't mince words since I've re-read all of the posts you have made since June and all of the excellent advice you've received. 

Since June the people on this board have answered your questions but I can't see where the sound advice you have received has resulted in better care or decision making for your husbands condition. Neither you or your husband seem to be taking charge here and if there was ever a time to take charge it is now. 

Your husband is NOT seeing a melanoma specialist and is being treated by a general oncologist. You are taking and getting the advice of a general oncologist, which no one here recommends. Melanoma is tricky and at the very least you needed to get one second opinion from a melanoma specialist. You haven't done it. – Based on what you have said, the overall advice given by your doctor is outdated and more likely to end in bad outcome with no real chance for a good one. Please drive or fly somewhere and get one.

You also don't seem to be in communication with your husbands doctor about how he is doing between appointments.  You mentioned that your husband "forgot" to mention issues in one of his last appointments because he was depressed. Wasn't someone with him advocating for him? Wasn't there a list of questions for the doctor?  Doesn't your doctor want to know what is going on with him between appointments? Why did the people here on the board need to tell you to contact his oncologist? – I don't' understand this passive behavior when you are asking for help and have been given excellent advice on multiple occasions. Get the advice and take some action. 

Your husband has a brain met (06/2015). The only treatment he has received is the Mekenist and Teffinlat combo. This is NOT a reasonable treatment for brain mets. Your husband needs to see a radiation oncologist who specializes in SRS treatment (gamma knife radiation). Your doctor is NOT a radiation oncologist and should not be making a decision NOT to treat or at least refer you to a radiation oncologist months ago.

You needed to and need to now consider SRS treatment combined with other therapy.  There is an additive effect when the two are given together.  Something a melanoma specialist can tell you. Your general oncologist has said he isn't worried about one brain met.  

Brain mets spread. They seed. One can turn into many and your husband can have dementia like or Alzheimers like symptoms, his personality can change, his decision making can become erratic… The Mekenist and Teffinlat combo he is on can't help here if the tumors don't react to the pills. And when was his last brain MRI? SRS is treatment and the brain met your husband has would react. Right now you don't know what has happened. One brain met could be a dozen now. – Trust me I know from personal experience.

Please do yourself a favor and re-read all of the posts you placed and the responses you have received and do some research. I hope if you do this that you will make different and better decisions or at least be more curious than you have shown here. Your husband needs this and if you are not up to it find someone who is. It hard I know, but it is needed here.

Sorry to be so harsh, but I think you need a wake up call, to get a backbone and to fight for your husband and for the best treatment he can get. You haven't gotten the best treatment yet, but you've gotten great advice. Again, please re-read all of the responses to your posts.  I am hopeful that it you do so that it might help him get much better treatment. – I'd like your husband to have his trip to Florida, but I'd also like to see both of you get the best advice and treatment he needs now so he is around next year and beyond. If you don't, I fear that it is inevitable that he won't be around the way things are going.

DennysGirl
                                                                                                Participant

Dear lovely person, 

I appreciate your uncensored view of me as a wife and caregiver but also would like to remind you that you don't know me. Thank you so much for shedding the light as to how it will be my fault if my husband passes as if I don't feel enough strain and stress as it is. All melanoma is different. My oncologist is the melanoma specialist at my hospital. If I wanted to take my husband hours away to see the closest doctor who would meet your approval… He would be in even worse shape for the drive and time spent getting him there. His dr sends all my husbands charts and scans to NorthWestern in Chicago for consultation. My husband is now on Opdivo. I call the oncologist every other day to give updates on my husbands situation and condition. Oh and by the way the brain met he had shrunk. We have already met with the radiologist about GammaKnife and radiation of the lesions in his bones and spine. 

People come here to this site for support not to be belittled. Thank you again. 

DZnDef
                                                                                                  Participant

Renee,

I am very glad to learn that your husband is now on Opdivo, has had his brain met shrink and is becoming informed about his radiation options.  This is all great news!  I can also appreciate where Patina was coming from in her post.  You can click on usernames to see how long each user has been active on this board.  Patina has been on here for a long time and has given wonderful and caring advice and provided valuable experience with her mother.  Based on what you had posted to date, it did not appear that your husband was receiving the level of care he needed at this stage of his disease.  To those of us haunting this board for quite a while, we have seen what is available out there and of course want the best care for your husband.  I suspect Patina's post was written in frustration as a result.

I would continue to recommend that you get a second opinion from a melanoma specialist.  Your current doctor is following the standard of care (which may work and I hope it does) but would not necessarily know about the latest research and trials which may help if the standard of care fails.  It wasn't until I met with my third oncologist that I learned that when BRAF inhibitors "wear off" the cancer has a tendency to become both more prolific and more aggressive.  This information impacted my deciosion on when to introduce BRAF inhibitors in my own program (this discussion was before the combo – which is perhaps different?).  In any event, each oncologist was offering a different approach.  It was educational to speak with each of them.

I wish you and your husband good health and good luck on this cancer journey.

Maggie

DennysGirl
                                                                                                    Participant

Thank you, Maggie. To be honest… Money is a lot of our issue.  We did have Humana through my husbands employer and I must say…They are HORRIBLE! It was like pulling teeth for our oncologist to get any treatments approved. The Humana ends the end of October. Then we are on Medicaid. Right now our only income is SSI $733 a month until his SSDI kicks in in January which will bump it up but no where near what my husband used to make. I was always a housewife and we never had a problem paying our bills but now I am trying to get a job but that's tough with his physical needs right now, but still trying. I guess what I'm trying to say is….If I won the lottery tonight I would be buying a plane ticket to see the best melanoma specialist out there! But for Her to just assume that it was my lack of trying or interest in my husbands health is appalling and rude. 

I understand the importance of a specialist and I must say that I am glad our oncologist knows our financial situation and all his physical problems and knows it's important for him to be talking to North Western and getting advice from them. I will try to get him to a specialist though. 

Thank you for your concern

DennysGirl
                                                                                                      Participant

Thank you, Maggie. To be honest… Money is a lot of our issue.  We did have Humana through my husbands employer and I must say…They are HORRIBLE! It was like pulling teeth for our oncologist to get any treatments approved. The Humana ends the end of October. Then we are on Medicaid. Right now our only income is SSI $733 a month until his SSDI kicks in in January which will bump it up but no where near what my husband used to make. I was always a housewife and we never had a problem paying our bills but now I am trying to get a job but that's tough with his physical needs right now, but still trying. I guess what I'm trying to say is….If I won the lottery tonight I would be buying a plane ticket to see the best melanoma specialist out there! But for Her to just assume that it was my lack of trying or interest in my husbands health is appalling and rude. 

I understand the importance of a specialist and I must say that I am glad our oncologist knows our financial situation and all his physical problems and knows it's important for him to be talking to North Western and getting advice from them. I will try to get him to a specialist though. 

BrianP
                                                                                                        Participant

Hang in there Renee. You are doing great.  

BrianP
                                                                                                          Participant

BrianP
                                                                                                            Participant

DennysGirl
                                                                                                              Participant

DZnDef
                                                                                                                Participant

Renee,

I am very glad to learn that your husband is now on Opdivo, has had his brain met shrink and is becoming informed about his radiation options.  This is all great news!  I can also appreciate where Patina was coming from in her post.  You can click on usernames to see how long each user has been active on this board.  Patina has been on here for a long time and has given wonderful and caring advice and provided valuable experience with her mother.  Based on what you had posted to date, it did not appear that your husband was receiving the level of care he needed at this stage of his disease.  To those of us haunting this board for quite a while, we have seen what is available out there and of course want the best care for your husband.  I suspect Patina's post was written in frustration as a result.

I would continue to recommend that you get a second opinion from a melanoma specialist.  Your current doctor is following the standard of care (which may work and I hope it does) but would not necessarily know about the latest research and trials which may help if the standard of care fails.  It wasn't until I met with my third oncologist that I learned that when BRAF inhibitors "wear off" the cancer has a tendency to become both more prolific and more aggressive.  This information impacted my deciosion on when to introduce BRAF inhibitors in my own program (this discussion was before the combo – which is perhaps different?).  In any event, each oncologist was offering a different approach.  It was educational to speak with each of them.

Maggie

DZnDef
                                                                                                                  Participant

Renee,

Maggie

DennysGirl
                                                                                                                    Participant

Dear lovely person, 

I appreciate your uncensored view of me as a wife and caregiver but also would like to remind you that you don't know me. Thank you so much for shedding the light as to how it will be my fault if my husband passes as if I don't feel enough strain and stress as it is. All melanoma is different. My oncologist is the melanoma specialist at my hospital. If I wanted to take my husband hours away to see the closest doctor who would meet your approval… He would be in even worse shape for the drive and time spent getting him there. His dr sends all my husbands charts and scans to NorthWestern in Chicago for consultation. My husband is now on Opdivo. I call the oncologist every other day to give updates on my husbands situation and condition. Oh and by the way the brain met he had shrunk. We have already met with the radiologist about GammaKnife and radiation of the lesions in his bones and spine. 

DennysGirl
                                                                                                                      Participant

Dear lovely person, 

casagrayson
                                                                                                                        Participant

And THIS is one reason I detest the "anonymous" option.  

casagrayson
                                                                                                                          Participant

DZnDef
                                                                                                                            Participant

I just realized that I confused Patina's reply with Anonymous's reply.  Sorry about that, Patina!

DZnDef
                                                                                                                              Participant

I just realized that I confused Patina's reply with Anonymous's reply.  Sorry about that, Patina!

DZnDef
                                                                                                                                Participant

casagrayson
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Patina
                                                                                                                                    Participant

DZnDef
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Best of luck to you both

Rita and Charles
                                                                                                                                      Participant

This new life of being a wife of melanoma is like waking up on Mars. When the husband/wife is so terrified we need to buck up and get in the fight. My heart stopped when I read of so much tumor burden, and a part of me thanked God that my husband's burden is lighter – maybe our road won't be so tough.  I feel like this site has been empowering to me – I am not so lost on what options are out there if/when what Charles is doing now stops working.  I know your struggle – being the one that needs to be on point, manage the drepession, the pain – keep a clear head.

I don't know how things will work, but I have read so many of peoples different journeys.  The roads people take – they travel, they hunt for the right doc, the try everything if something fails.  The advice on a specialist is the best – there is so much going on in melanoma research right now, fight or travel to see one.  See the specialist and then weave that care into your oncologist care…..

Vacations are important, grab joy where you can. Good luck…….

*on a side note, my husband started BRAF combo 2 1/2 months ago. The last 3 weeks side effects that affected his vision had been hard to manage.  Next CT, PET and we go forward with immune therapy…….bit by bit.

Rita and Charles
                                                                                                                                        Participant

This new life of being a wife of melanoma is like waking up on Mars. When the husband/wife is so terrified we need to buck up and get in the fight. My heart stopped when I read of so much tumor burden, and a part of me thanked God that my husband's burden is lighter – maybe our road won't be so tough.  I feel like this site has been empowering to me – I am not so lost on what options are out there if/when what Charles is doing now stops working.  I know your struggle – being the one that needs to be on point, manage the drepession, the pain – keep a clear head.

I don't know how things will work, but I have read so many of peoples different journeys.  The roads people take – they travel, they hunt for the right doc, the try everything if something fails.  The advice on a specialist is the best – there is so much going on in melanoma research right now, fight or travel to see one.  See the specialist and then weave that care into your oncologist care…..

*on a side note, my husband started BRAF combo 2 1/2 months ago. The last 3 weeks side effects that affected his vision had been hard to manage.  Next CT, PET and we go forward with immune therapy…….bit by bit.

Rita and Charles
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics