The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 3B with +Lymph nodes, surgery done, what now?

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 3B with +Lymph nodes, surgery done, what now?

Participant

I just turned 41 years old and received my melanoma diagnosis mid-January. I had two surgeries in 21/2 weeks: First, to excise the area and remove 5 sentinel nodes, second to remove remaining lymph nodes in my neck as well as parotid gland. Primary tumor was 3mm on the back rim of my ear, so surgery involved reconstruction of my ear.

One sentinel node show a small focus of cells, and one additional node (the next down the line, so to speak) also showed a small focus. All other lymph nodes and parotid gland (salivary gland) were clear. Head to pelvis PET/CT was clear, as was MRI of the head.

Now what? My choices are do nothing, one year of high dose Interferon, or participation in a clinical trial that tests high dose Interferon vs. Ipilimumab. The trial is local at University of Rochester Medical Center. My double-edged sword of feelings is that 1) Where is the cancer that we can't see it yet?, and, 2) I FEEL FINE.

Frankly, I'm terrified to start any treatment due to side effects and potential for toxicity. But, I'm more terrified of doing nothing. At my age and otherwise good health, doctors are confident I can withstand treatment. But, I'm concerned about the long term side effects of Ipi. What if I make it through the study and don't show recurrance  a few years down the line, only to have them say, "Sorry, you are still cancer-free, but your pancreas is shutting down." I think I'm too young for that risk! But…how risky is it?

This has been a terrible inconvience so far, and I see my life as being consumed by treatment that may make me feel sick. My inner rage is a rollercoaster ride; I don't want to go through all this and die (from melanoma) anyway.

But, I have to make a decision soon. I know if I agree to participate in the trial that I could be randomized into the Interferon group anyway. I've been reading a lot, but now need to hear first hand experience. Anyone?

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        momof4boys
        Participant
          I was/ am in the same boat you are. I was staged 3b last year and was scared to death of potential risks from IPI and was going to just do the interferon. This treatment had me equally worried as the thought of basically having the flu for a year wasn’t very appealing. I have 4 boys and that would be pretty rough around my house. The night before I was to start interferon I got on this website and learned of the great results this drug was having on stage 4 people. I called and switched to the trial and I prayed for hours until I got the call I was randomized with IPI. When I started my once said they stopped the 10 mg arm as I was most worried about that. I’m not sure if that is still that way or not. I was told the pancreas is a very small % of anything happening there. My mom passed from pancreatic cancer so that had me worried as well but generally you don’t hear much about people having that problem. The side effects from the IPI hasn’t been much besides itching and a little fatigue. The biggest problem with IPI is colitis. This is pretty common but if you watch your bowels you can possibly fix it before it gets bad. Imo, I read all posts here and this drug is very promising. Melanoma is a monster and I feel I need to do everything necessary just in case. I don’t want to progress to stage 4. The last time I was at the Dr a few weeks ago she said the trial is going to be closing soon as they just about have the patients they need nationwide so make a decision soon!
            gaby
            Participant

Hello Terra,  regret the bad news, melanoma is a beast.

My husband is from may 2012 stage 3A. My husband had at that time 38 years old. At that time the options for stage 3A were watch and wait or pegylated interferon  for 2 years. My husband opted to try the pegylated interferon , is a very personal desicion . God willing in October 2014 would be the two years ending with pegylated interferom . Despite a trouble to have this damn disease , my husband has a normal life working full time . The side effects of pegylated interferon is depends on the person.

You can visit my post about the side effects of pegylated interferon having my husband :

http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/experience-pegylated

I did not know that IPI is used to stage 3, I had understood that it was only for stage 4 .

Her anxiety is normal , I assure you that in time the anxiety will decrease . We are very nervous every 6 months when my husband should do the CT or PET of control.

You can ask me whatever you want.

Best wishes.

gaby (from Argentina )

TerraO
              Participant

Thank you, Gaby. The clinical trial is to test the effectiveness of  IPI versus Inteferon in Stage 3. After the trial, IPI could become a new choice for standard of care for Stage 3.

TerraO
                Participant

Thank you, Gaby. The clinical trial is to test the effectiveness of  IPI versus Inteferon in Stage 3. After the trial, IPI could become a new choice for standard of care for Stage 3.

TerraO
                  Participant

Thandster
                    Participant

Hi Gaby,

just to clarify, the ipi vs interferon trial was not available for stage 3A, only 3B or 3C. 

Thandster

Thandster
                      Participant

Hi Gaby,

just to clarify, the ipi vs interferon trial was not available for stage 3A, only 3B or 3C. 

Thandster

Thandster
                        Participant

Hi Gaby,

Thandster

gaby
                          Participant

My husband is from may 2012 stage 3A. My husband had at that time 38 years old. At that time the options for stage 3A were watch and wait or pegylated interferon  for 2 years. My husband opted to try the pegylated interferon , is a very personal desicion . God willing in October 2014 would be the two years ending with pegylated interferom . Despite a trouble to have this damn disease , my husband has a normal life working full time . The side effects of pegylated interferon is depends on the person.

You can visit my post about the side effects of pegylated interferon having my husband :

http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/experience-pegylated

I did not know that IPI is used to stage 3, I had understood that it was only for stage 4 .

Her anxiety is normal , I assure you that in time the anxiety will decrease . We are very nervous every 6 months when my husband should do the CT or PET of control.

Best wishes.

gaby (from Argentina )

gaby
                            Participant

Best wishes.

gaby (from Argentina )

TerraO
                              Participant

Thank you for your story. Arm A (10mg) is listed in the literature my Onc gave me to review, so I would have to ask him whether they are still populating to that Arm. And, I know I could be randomized to Interferon anyway. I do get the impression they are "hot" to get me in line for the trail. As for colitis…the side effect listed ipi as "may increase your chance of bowel perforation" is terrifying!

gaby
                                Participant
                                  Hi Terra,  thanks for the info, I have understood that IPI is for people with negative braf. You did the genetic test? 

regards 
                                  gaby
                                  TerraO
                                  Participant

No, my tumor was not tested for BRAF. I asked the nurse in my Oncologist's office, but her answer that "it's not done automatically at (my) staging" is now sounding like not a full answer.

The clinical trial literature also doesn't mention anything about BRAF.

TerraO
                                    Participant

No, my tumor was not tested for BRAF. I asked the nurse in my Oncologist's office, but her answer that "it's not done automatically at (my) staging" is now sounding like not a full answer.

TerraO
                                      Participant

fortiz
                                        Participant
                                          IPI is for everybody, positive or negative BRAF. You don’t need to do the BRAF test to take IPI.
                                          fortiz
                                          Participant
                                            IPI is for everybody, positive or negative BRAF. You don’t need to do the BRAF test to take IPI.
                                            fortiz
                                            Participant
                                              gaby
                                              Participant
                                                Hi Terra,  thanks for the info, I have understood that IPI is for people with negative braf. You did the genetic test? 

regards 
                                                gaby
                                                gaby
                                                Participant

regards 
                                                  gaby
                                                  TerraO
                                                  Participant

Thank you for your story. Arm A (10mg) is listed in the literature my Onc gave me to review, so I would have to ask him whether they are still populating to that Arm. And, I know I could be randomized to Interferon anyway. I do get the impression they are "hot" to get me in line for the trail. As for colitis…the side effect listed ipi as "may increase your chance of bowel perforation" is terrifying!

TerraO
                                                    Participant

jogo
                                                      Participant

I had a 2 cm x 1.9 cm x 1.5 cm metastic melanoma tumor on my left parotid gland.  My surgery, parotidectomy and radical dissection of the lymph glands on the left side of my neck, was June 6th, 25 years after my father was diagnosed with metastic melanoma.  (He died 7 1/2 months later, right after his 81st birthday.)  My daughter convinced me to enter the trial.  I was randomized into arm C.  My first (3 mg/Kg body mass) infusion was July 30, 2013.  My second infusion was August 20th. September 10th there was no (3rd) infusion because I had diarrhea.  The following week I had a colonoscopy and I was told I had ipi induced colitis.  In October 2013, I spent 24 days in the hospital.  I had inflammatory ulcerative colitis.  While in the hosptial, I received 9 units of blood, two infusions of infleximab (Remicade), and massive doses of prednisone.  I recently had an ACTH test to see if my adrenal glands have recovered from the "prednisone shock."  I am following the colitis diet.  I have to exercise to restore my strength, especially in my legs. Never the less. I AM GLAD THAT I'M IN THE CLINICAL TRIAL.  I will be 72 this Sunday.  Was my irAE, immune related Adverse Event, a function of my age?  I don't know.  Ironically, the resident assigned to me during my hospital stay in the intermediate care unit had surgery for melanoma while he was a medical student.  He was on interferon and had to leave medical school for a year.  Join the trial ASAP.  If you aren't in the trial, you'd be on interferon anyway.  Most reactions to ipilimamub, especially 3 mg, are not as extreme as mine.  Contact your oncologist as soon as something happens.  Go over the "what ifs" with the clinical research coordinator nurse.  Do not be shy about calling the oncology fellow on call if you have to speak to someone at night.  Good luck! yes

jogo
                                                        Participant

I had a 2 cm x 1.9 cm x 1.5 cm metastic melanoma tumor on my left parotid gland.  My surgery, parotidectomy and radical dissection of the lymph glands on the left side of my neck, was June 6th, 25 years after my father was diagnosed with metastic melanoma.  (He died 7 1/2 months later, right after his 81st birthday.)  My daughter convinced me to enter the trial.  I was randomized into arm C.  My first (3 mg/Kg body mass) infusion was July 30, 2013.  My second infusion was August 20th. September 10th there was no (3rd) infusion because I had diarrhea.  The following week I had a colonoscopy and I was told I had ipi induced colitis.  In October 2013, I spent 24 days in the hospital.  I had inflammatory ulcerative colitis.  While in the hosptial, I received 9 units of blood, two infusions of infleximab (Remicade), and massive doses of prednisone.  I recently had an ACTH test to see if my adrenal glands have recovered from the "prednisone shock."  I am following the colitis diet.  I have to exercise to restore my strength, especially in my legs. Never the less. I AM GLAD THAT I'M IN THE CLINICAL TRIAL.  I will be 72 this Sunday.  Was my irAE, immune related Adverse Event, a function of my age?  I don't know.  Ironically, the resident assigned to me during my hospital stay in the intermediate care unit had surgery for melanoma while he was a medical student.  He was on interferon and had to leave medical school for a year.  Join the trial ASAP.  If you aren't in the trial, you'd be on interferon anyway.  Most reactions to ipilimamub, especially 3 mg, are not as extreme as mine.  Contact your oncologist as soon as something happens.  Go over the "what ifs" with the clinical research coordinator nurse.  Do not be shy about calling the oncology fellow on call if you have to speak to someone at night.  Good luck! yes

jogo
                                                          Participant

momof4boys
                                                          Participant
                                                            I was/ am in the same boat you are. I was staged 3b last year and was scared to death of potential risks from IPI and was going to just do the interferon. This treatment had me equally worried as the thought of basically having the flu for a year wasn’t very appealing. I have 4 boys and that would be pretty rough around my house. The night before I was to start interferon I got on this website and learned of the great results this drug was having on stage 4 people. I called and switched to the trial and I prayed for hours until I got the call I was randomized with IPI. When I started my once said they stopped the 10 mg arm as I was most worried about that. I’m not sure if that is still that way or not. I was told the pancreas is a very small % of anything happening there. My mom passed from pancreatic cancer so that had me worried as well but generally you don’t hear much about people having that problem. The side effects from the IPI hasn’t been much besides itching and a little fatigue. The biggest problem with IPI is colitis. This is pretty common but if you watch your bowels you can possibly fix it before it gets bad. Imo, I read all posts here and this drug is very promising. Melanoma is a monster and I feel I need to do everything necessary just in case. I don’t want to progress to stage 4. The last time I was at the Dr a few weeks ago she said the trial is going to be closing soon as they just about have the patients they need nationwide so make a decision soon!
                                                            momof4boys
                                                            Participant
                                                              katie1
                                                              Participant

My husband (IIIC) has been on the adjuvant trial of Ipi vs. Interferon.  His melanoma was diagnosed almost a year ago.  He was randomized into the 3mg/kg of Ipilimumab arm. He received only the 4 induction phase infusions due to developing hypophysitis (which under trial protocol makes you ineligible for further treatment).  

He recently had to sign another updated consent form.  The 10mg/kg arm of the trial is open  for accural again.  There were 8 deaths in that arm attributed to Ipilimumab. No deaths in the 3mg/kg arm or the Interferon arm.

You may find this video of Dr. Weber at the 2012 Paris Melanoma conference of interest.  He discusses a very small pilot study he ran testing Ipilimumab in the adjuvant setting (resected stege IIIC/IV).

http://www.primeoncology.org/online_education/solid_tumor/2012/parismelanoma2012_webcast/session_6/weber.aspxv

Best of luck in making your decision,

Kate

TerraO
                                                                  Participant

Trying to watch it… it's a little choppy.

TerraO
                                                                    Participant

TerraO
                                                                      Participant

TerraO
                                                                        Participant

Well, I watched it. He makes a good case for IPI being promising as adjuvant care. BUT, I am concerned about your comment re: "There were 8 deaths in that arm attributed to Ipilimumab." EIGHT deaths, directly attributable to IPI? Toxicity?

Just when I think the decision will get easier, it gets harder.

katie1
                                                                          Participant

I certainly understand your concern with there being 8 deaths in the high dose arm (when my husband signed his initial consent there had been 3 and that gave us pause).  Is your oncologist a melanoma specialist?  I ask because the more familiar the doctors are with using Ipi the quicker they are to jump on side effects.  My husband has had significant side effects but he has been able to continue working full time (with some time off for surgergy/ infusions/appointments etc) and all his side effects have basically been reversible. This trial is being run in many many locations.  Some of the trial doctors have less experience than others in managing side effects (and without proper management Ipi side effects are very dangerous). It is absolutely crucial, if you decide to take Ipi, that you are aware of all potential side effects and report them immediately!

Another way to perhaps look at the 10mg/kg dose arm:  They stopped the accural in that arm for several months while they reviewed the data and then they decided to restart……  It might be interpretted to mean that the very preliminary data from the study (there are NO official results) are very promising?????

There are a couple of adjuvant trials for people who are Braf + (Braf alone vs placebo) and (Braf + MEK vs. placebo) so it isn't quite true that there is no reason to test tumors in Stage III

Kate

TerraO
                                                                            Participant

Thank you, Kate. I will be asking again about BRAF testing. But, the BRAF trials I see on NIH seem to be double-blind and placeco managed. Those two aspects push that option very low on my list. I have read a number of trials that are open for Melanoma, but their criteria are very specific and I do not seem to match any but the Ipi vs. Interferon. I've had successful resection and no mets.

My oncologist has been practicing medicine for as long as I have been alive, and his melanoma experience goes back to the 1980s. I could ask more probing questions about his experiences specific to the managing side effects topic. Thank you for bringing that up.

I am very nearly decided that I would like to try the trial, and hope I get in an Ipi arm.

katie1
                                                                              Participant

Terra,

It seems likely your oncologist has experience giving Ipi.  I would just make sure you know the plan for communicating any and all side effects.  If you are randomized into an Ipi arm, continue to familiarize yourself with the side effects and how they can present.

We had decided against the Braf vs placebo trial even before his results came back (he is negative) because of the placebo aspect of the trials.

You might also wish to watch the Aim presentation that JerryfromFauq linked  (see TIL/ACT post).  The presentation also includes a despcription by a patient who is doing Interferon (as part of the same trial) and a guy who did Ipi (for Stage IV).

Once you make up your mind just move forward.  My husband and I have no regrets. Despite having to stop the Ipi due to side effects, he's glad to have had the opportunity to receive it.  Also, 7 months since his last dose he is still having some side effects (rash and itching) which remind him his immune system is still "revved up."

When do you see your doctor?

Best,

Kate

TerraO
                                                                                Participant

I do have a lot of questions, and these posts are tremendous in helping me to articulate those questions. My appointment was supposed to be today, but due to the blizzard has been rescheduled to tomorrow. (And this is Rochester,  NY, where we usually just shrug and go on with life in a winter storm!)

katie1
                                                                                  Participant

How did your appointment go?

Kate

TerraO
                                                                                    Participant

Hi Kate,

It was a long appointment, but I felt that I got satisfactory answers about how the team is prepared to care for me should I have side effects. I've decided to ask to be reviewed for the Clinical Trail. Tomorrow I get another PET/CT (trial requires clean one within 28 days; I was 30 days past at the time of my Dr appt.)

I will be signing the paper work and have blood drawn on Thursday, and I will be randomized soon. Not sure when treatment will start…hoping to get the rest of March for a "normal" month.

I honestly need to stop reading about side effects. :-/ Fear if the unknown is the worst.

katie1
                                                                                      Participant

Update (perhaps with a new topic so it isn't lost)  when you are randomized etc. best of luck. Eventually, you will settle into a "new normal"

Kate

katie1
                                                                                        Participant

Update (perhaps with a new topic so it isn't lost)  when you are randomized etc. best of luck. Eventually, you will settle into a "new normal"

Kate

katie1
                                                                                          Participant

Kate

TerraO
                                                                                            Participant

Hi Kate,

It was a long appointment, but I felt that I got satisfactory answers about how the team is prepared to care for me should I have side effects. I've decided to ask to be reviewed for the Clinical Trail. Tomorrow I get another PET/CT (trial requires clean one within 28 days; I was 30 days past at the time of my Dr appt.)

I will be signing the paper work and have blood drawn on Thursday, and I will be randomized soon. Not sure when treatment will start…hoping to get the rest of March for a "normal" month.

I honestly need to stop reading about side effects. :-/ Fear if the unknown is the worst.

TerraO
                                                                                              Participant

Hi Kate,

katie1
                                                                                                Participant

Kate

katie1
                                                                                                  Participant

Kate

TerraO
                                                                                                    Participant

I do have a lot of questions, and these posts are tremendous in helping me to articulate those questions. My appointment was supposed to be today, but due to the blizzard has been rescheduled to tomorrow. (And this is Rochester,  NY, where we usually just shrug and go on with life in a winter storm!)

TerraO
                                                                                                      Participant

katie1
                                                                                                        Participant

Terra,

It seems likely your oncologist has experience giving Ipi.  I would just make sure you know the plan for communicating any and all side effects.  If you are randomized into an Ipi arm, continue to familiarize yourself with the side effects and how they can present.

We had decided against the Braf vs placebo trial even before his results came back (he is negative) because of the placebo aspect of the trials.

You might also wish to watch the Aim presentation that JerryfromFauq linked  (see TIL/ACT post).  The presentation also includes a despcription by a patient who is doing Interferon (as part of the same trial) and a guy who did Ipi (for Stage IV).

Once you make up your mind just move forward.  My husband and I have no regrets. Despite having to stop the Ipi due to side effects, he's glad to have had the opportunity to receive it.  Also, 7 months since his last dose he is still having some side effects (rash and itching) which remind him his immune system is still "revved up."

Best,

Kate

katie1
                                                                                                          Participant

Terra,

Best,

Kate

TerraO
                                                                                                            Participant

Thank you, Kate. I will be asking again about BRAF testing. But, the BRAF trials I see on NIH seem to be double-blind and placeco managed. Those two aspects push that option very low on my list. I have read a number of trials that are open for Melanoma, but their criteria are very specific and I do not seem to match any but the Ipi vs. Interferon. I've had successful resection and no mets.

My oncologist has been practicing medicine for as long as I have been alive, and his melanoma experience goes back to the 1980s. I could ask more probing questions about his experiences specific to the managing side effects topic. Thank you for bringing that up.

I am very nearly decided that I would like to try the trial, and hope I get in an Ipi arm.

TerraO
                                                                                                              Participant

katie1
                                                                                                                Participant

I certainly understand your concern with there being 8 deaths in the high dose arm (when my husband signed his initial consent there had been 3 and that gave us pause).  Is your oncologist a melanoma specialist?  I ask because the more familiar the doctors are with using Ipi the quicker they are to jump on side effects.  My husband has had significant side effects but he has been able to continue working full time (with some time off for surgergy/ infusions/appointments etc) and all his side effects have basically been reversible. This trial is being run in many many locations.  Some of the trial doctors have less experience than others in managing side effects (and without proper management Ipi side effects are very dangerous). It is absolutely crucial, if you decide to take Ipi, that you are aware of all potential side effects and report them immediately!

Another way to perhaps look at the 10mg/kg dose arm:  They stopped the accural in that arm for several months while they reviewed the data and then they decided to restart……  It might be interpretted to mean that the very preliminary data from the study (there are NO official results) are very promising?????

There are a couple of adjuvant trials for people who are Braf + (Braf alone vs placebo) and (Braf + MEK vs. placebo) so it isn't quite true that there is no reason to test tumors in Stage III

Kate

katie1
                                                                                                                  Participant

Kate

TerraO
                                                                                                                    Participant

Well, I watched it. He makes a good case for IPI being promising as adjuvant care. BUT, I am concerned about your comment re: "There were 8 deaths in that arm attributed to Ipilimumab." EIGHT deaths, directly attributable to IPI? Toxicity?

TerraO
                                                                                                                      Participant

katie1
                                                                                                                      Participant

My husband (IIIC) has been on the adjuvant trial of Ipi vs. Interferon.  His melanoma was diagnosed almost a year ago.  He was randomized into the 3mg/kg of Ipilimumab arm. He received only the 4 induction phase infusions due to developing hypophysitis (which under trial protocol makes you ineligible for further treatment).  

He recently had to sign another updated consent form.  The 10mg/kg arm of the trial is open  for accural again.  There were 8 deaths in that arm attributed to Ipilimumab. No deaths in the 3mg/kg arm or the Interferon arm.

You may find this video of Dr. Weber at the 2012 Paris Melanoma conference of interest.  He discusses a very small pilot study he ran testing Ipilimumab in the adjuvant setting (resected stege IIIC/IV).

http://www.primeoncology.org/online_education/solid_tumor/2012/parismelanoma2012_webcast/session_6/weber.aspxv

Kate

katie1
                                                                                                                        Participant

Kate

Calynda
                                                                                                                          Participant

I don't know much about the trial part of this because I opted out of trials.  My specialist gave me 4 options.  Most the people on here didn't recommend interferon because it wasn't very effective.  My 4 options were monitoring and doing nothing unless the melanoma returned, interferon, clinical trial (where I still may be treated with interferon), or a 3 month run of advanced bio-chemo.  The bio-chemo was twice as effective as interferon, but was extremely hard on the body.  I was really struggling with the decision.  I didn't want to hate myself for choosing to monitor if it came back, but I didn't want to go through any harsh treatment if it never came back.

after about 2 weeks of discussions between my local doctors, myself and the specialists, we opted to monitor.  I was diagnosed a little over a year ago when I was 24 weeks pregnant.  My axcillary lymph node dissection was all clear, so by the time we got all the information, I was already almost 5 months cancer free because we had to wait to do the PET scan and the dissection until after the baby was born.

Calynda
                                                                                                                            Participant

I don't know much about the trial part of this because I opted out of trials.  My specialist gave me 4 options.  Most the people on here didn't recommend interferon because it wasn't very effective.  My 4 options were monitoring and doing nothing unless the melanoma returned, interferon, clinical trial (where I still may be treated with interferon), or a 3 month run of advanced bio-chemo.  The bio-chemo was twice as effective as interferon, but was extremely hard on the body.  I was really struggling with the decision.  I didn't want to hate myself for choosing to monitor if it came back, but I didn't want to go through any harsh treatment if it never came back.

after about 2 weeks of discussions between my local doctors, myself and the specialists, we opted to monitor.  I was diagnosed a little over a year ago when I was 24 weeks pregnant.  My axcillary lymph node dissection was all clear, so by the time we got all the information, I was already almost 5 months cancer free because we had to wait to do the PET scan and the dissection until after the baby was born.

Calynda
                                                                                                                              Participant

Gene_S
                                                                                                                                Participant

Hello Terra,

Welcome to the board sorry you had to join but you can get a lot of useful information here.

My husband was in an earlier Ipi trial then the one you mentioned as he started in Mar. 2011 and he took the 10 mg/kg (infusions) plus GMCSF(which are shots you self administer on for 14 days and off for 7 days).  He did the 4 doses in 12 weeks and then did maintenance doses every 12 weeks and became NED (no evidence of disease) in Oct. 2012.  He went off of the clinical trial in November of 2013 because of being NED for over a year.

He never had colitis and his only real problem is the body no longer produces the prednisone so he takes a 5 mg pill every day to replace what the body normally makes.

You can read more about him on his profile.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED)

TerraO
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Thank you, Judy. Gene's story is very encouraging about Ipi! Is the prednisone issue caused directly by the Ipi?

Gene_S
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Yes  it was the only medication he was on at the time other than the GMCSF.

Gene_S
                                                                                                                                        Participant

Gene_S
                                                                                                                                          Participant

TerraO
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Thank you, Judy. Gene's story is very encouraging about Ipi! Is the prednisone issue caused directly by the Ipi?

TerraO
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Gene_S
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Hello Terra,

Welcome to the board sorry you had to join but you can get a lot of useful information here.

My husband was in an earlier Ipi trial then the one you mentioned as he started in Mar. 2011 and he took the 10 mg/kg (infusions) plus GMCSF(which are shots you self administer on for 14 days and off for 7 days).  He did the 4 doses in 12 weeks and then did maintenance doses every 12 weeks and became NED (no evidence of disease) in Oct. 2012.  He went off of the clinical trial in November of 2013 because of being NED for over a year.

He never had colitis and his only real problem is the body no longer produces the prednisone so he takes a 5 mg pill every day to replace what the body normally makes.

Gene_S
                                                                                                                                                Participant

Hello Terra,

SABKLYN
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Hi Terra

Another respondent mentioned seeing a melanoma specialist.  I would agree strongly.  You have Roswell Park in Buffalo, a really fine cancer hospital as I'm sure you know, an hour and a half from you.  There is also Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC.  I live in Atlanta but decided to move my treatment fom Emory to Memorial.  It's a very tricky disease and you want the best facility we the greatest amount of options to maximize your ability to achieve a favorable outcome.  I was IIIa and after my lymph node dissection opted against interferon instead participating in a clnicsl trial.  As others have said, there's no right or wrong.  Study your options and make the decision you think is best.  I,haven't been on IPI so I can't comment on the efficacy or side effects.  However many on this board can.  Good luck Terra and best wishes

Marianne quinn
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

My husband just finished his 4th infusion of 10mg ipi. Side effects were manageable. Benadryl took care of the itching and figuring out what foods got his GI symptoms going along with occasional immodium. No real fatigue issues. I was terrified when he started but I am glad he did. He. Was stage 3c .labs have been all normal. His maintenance dose starts in June . Good luck

Marianne quinn
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

My husband just finished his 4th infusion of 10mg ipi. Side effects were manageable. Benadryl took care of the itching and figuring out what foods got his GI symptoms going along with occasional immodium. No real fatigue issues. I was terrified when he started but I am glad he did. He. Was stage 3c .labs have been all normal. His maintenance dose starts in June . Good luck

Marianne quinn
                                                                                                                                                          Participant

TerraO
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Thank you. I am very conflicted about seeking treatment in another city. In Rochester, we have the Wilmot Cancer Center at University of Rochester Medical Center. It is frustrating when people imply that I can't possibly be getting good enough care here. I know your intention is not to shake my confidence, but it does.

I just don't know if I can manage the stress, and out-of-network expense!, of traveling to another city when we have world class medicine right here.

Linny
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Wilmot isn't listed on this site as a melanoma treatment center but it is listed as a treatment center on Melanoma International's site.

You just need to make sure that your doctor specializes in melanoma and is not a general oncologist or general dermatologist. Melanoma specialists look at this stuff on a daily basis so they probably will not overlook something that a generalist might overlook.

Melanoma isn't called "the Beast" for nothing. For one, it doesn't respond to conventional chemotherapy. This is why a generalist is not your best option. Doctors must use immunotherapy to treat melanoma. The world of melanoma treatment has made HUGE strides just since 2011. Only a doctor who specializes in it can keep up with that kind of pace and provide you with information on the latest options for treatment.

JC
                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Breast cancer patients was a breast cancer specialist, prostate cancer patients want a prostate cancer specialist, is melanoma more so than other cancers in terms of having a specialist? 

JC
                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Breast cancer patients was a breast cancer specialist, prostate cancer patients want a prostate cancer specialist, is melanoma more so than other cancers in terms of having a specialist? 

JC
                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

TerraO
                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

My oncologist's professional bio lists him as 'Professor of Medicine in the Division of Hematology/Oncology.' His specialities are listed as 'Interernal Medicine, Medical Oncology, Hematology." BUT I also know that both he and my surgeon sit on a melanoma team that meets twice a month where the group discusses treatment for all the melanoma patients being treated at Wilmot Cancer Center.

So… is that good?

Linny
                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

If he's sitting on a team that meets regularly to discuss melanoma treatments for patients, then it sounds like you're in good hands.

Go with your gut. If you're comfortable with the guy, then stick with him.

Linny
                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

If he's sitting on a team that meets regularly to discuss melanoma treatments for patients, then it sounds like you're in good hands.

Linny
                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

TerraO
                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

My oncologist's professional bio lists him as 'Professor of Medicine in the Division of Hematology/Oncology.' His specialities are listed as 'Interernal Medicine, Medical Oncology, Hematology." BUT I also know that both he and my surgeon sit on a melanoma team that meets twice a month where the group discusses treatment for all the melanoma patients being treated at Wilmot Cancer Center.

So… is that good?

TerraO
                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

So… is that good?

SABKLYN
                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Hi Terra,

Bottom line is if you are comfortable at Wilmot and prefer not to make any changes, then do what you believe is best.  Just as with interferon, there's no right or wrong.  Sorry if my comments resulted in added stress.  Be your own advocate, ask lots of questions and get yourself treated at the place in which you are most comfortable.

SABKLYN
                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Hi Terra,

Bottom line is if you are comfortable at Wilmot and prefer not to make any changes, then do what you believe is best.  Just as with interferon, there's no right or wrong.  Sorry if my comments resulted in added stress.  Be your own advocate, ask lots of questions and get yourself treated at the place in which you are most comfortable.

SABKLYN
                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Hi Terra,

Linny
                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Wilmot isn't listed on this site as a melanoma treatment center but it is listed as a treatment center on Melanoma International's site.

You just need to make sure that your doctor specializes in melanoma and is not a general oncologist or general dermatologist. Melanoma specialists look at this stuff on a daily basis so they probably will not overlook something that a generalist might overlook.

Melanoma isn't called "the Beast" for nothing. For one, it doesn't respond to conventional chemotherapy. This is why a generalist is not your best option. Doctors must use immunotherapy to treat melanoma. The world of melanoma treatment has made HUGE strides just since 2011. Only a doctor who specializes in it can keep up with that kind of pace and provide you with information on the latest options for treatment.

Linny
                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

TerraO
                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Thank you. I am very conflicted about seeking treatment in another city. In Rochester, we have the Wilmot Cancer Center at University of Rochester Medical Center. It is frustrating when people imply that I can't possibly be getting good enough care here. I know your intention is not to shake my confidence, but it does.

I just don't know if I can manage the stress, and out-of-network expense!, of traveling to another city when we have world class medicine right here.

TerraO
                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

SABKLYN
                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Hi Terra

Another respondent mentioned seeing a melanoma specialist.  I would agree strongly.  You have Roswell Park in Buffalo, a really fine cancer hospital as I'm sure you know, an hour and a half from you.  There is also Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC.  I live in Atlanta but decided to move my treatment fom Emory to Memorial.  It's a very tricky disease and you want the best facility we the greatest amount of options to maximize your ability to achieve a favorable outcome.  I was IIIa and after my lymph node dissection opted against interferon instead participating in a clnicsl trial.  As others have said, there's no right or wrong.  Study your options and make the decision you think is best.  I,haven't been on IPI so I can't comment on the efficacy or side effects.  However many on this board can.  Good luck Terra and best wishes

SABKLYN
                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Hi Terra

Linny
                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

I was in your boat back in 2010. Ipi hadn't been FDA-approved when I was given my options, so I was offered: frequent observation (aka "do nothing"), interferon, or clinical trial.

My quandary was that interferon didn't really offer a significant advantage over doing frequent observation. I also wasn't thrilled about being sick with flulike symptoms for a year and with the other side effects of interferon. I also didn't feel 100% secure with the frequent observation.

For me, the clinical trial seemed like the best option because the particular trial I was in gave me a 2/3 chance of receiving a vaccine plus I was also getting frequent observation along with that. So it was the perfect compromise.

From what I've read on line, there have been durable responses with Ipi. Some 10-year numbers have started rolling in and the results are not too shabby. Yes, the side effects can make you quite miserable but just how miserable they end up making you feel depends on you. It varies by individual.

I've heard of the trial you mentioned and know that folks who have had it offered to them pray that they end up on the Ipi arm of it. I recall reading one account where someone actually dropped from the trial when they were randomized onto the interferon arm.

With Stage III melanoma you really are in limbo because there are not that many treatment options available.

Marianne quinn
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

My husband who is ib the 10 mg ipi arm is being treated at a kaiser hospital in California. He is getting excellent care. The protocol is very strict so you will get carefully observed. Stay close to home if you can. If you get in the interferon arm you may want to reconsider. I think ipi is going to be approved for stage3 soon so why put up with interferon?good luck and join the trial!

Marianne quinn
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

My husband who is ib the 10 mg ipi arm is being treated at a kaiser hospital in California. He is getting excellent care. The protocol is very strict so you will get carefully observed. Stay close to home if you can. If you get in the interferon arm you may want to reconsider. I think ipi is going to be approved for stage3 soon so why put up with interferon?good luck and join the trial!

Marianne quinn
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Linny
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

I was in your boat back in 2010. Ipi hadn't been FDA-approved when I was given my options, so I was offered: frequent observation (aka "do nothing"), interferon, or clinical trial.

My quandary was that interferon didn't really offer a significant advantage over doing frequent observation. I also wasn't thrilled about being sick with flulike symptoms for a year and with the other side effects of interferon. I also didn't feel 100% secure with the frequent observation.

For me, the clinical trial seemed like the best option because the particular trial I was in gave me a 2/3 chance of receiving a vaccine plus I was also getting frequent observation along with that. So it was the perfect compromise.

From what I've read on line, there have been durable responses with Ipi. Some 10-year numbers have started rolling in and the results are not too shabby. Yes, the side effects can make you quite miserable but just how miserable they end up making you feel depends on you. It varies by individual.

I've heard of the trial you mentioned and know that folks who have had it offered to them pray that they end up on the Ipi arm of it. I recall reading one account where someone actually dropped from the trial when they were randomized onto the interferon arm.

With Stage III melanoma you really are in limbo because there are not that many treatment options available.

Linny
                                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Mandi0280
                                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

My husband was on the ipi/interferon trial in 2012. He received the ipi and did very well on it the first dose. The 2nd dose made him very sick and landed him in the hospital with colitis for 7 days. His doctor took him off the treatment. After that he took interferon that also made him sick for the whole month that he took the high dose infusions. I would not change the fact that he took either of these. He had a CT scan Friday that we are still wating to hear results from. IF it is clear he will be 2 years 5 months NED. No treatment you ever take will come with no side effects. I think the does of the IPI has been lowered since he took it. His two treatments is not acording to his doctor equivilent to 4 treatments. This medicine could still be active in his body and keeping his cancer away. You have to do what is best for you but i wanted to give you our story. Good luck making your decision as it is very different for everybody!

Mandi0280
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

i'm sorry i meant…according to his doctor his 2 treamtments are now equivilant to 4 of the new dose. Who knows if his melanoma has been kept away from these treatments or if it just wouldn't have come back regardless. Thats what makes it so hard to decide.

Mandi0280
                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

i'm sorry i meant…according to his doctor his 2 treamtments are now equivilant to 4 of the new dose. Who knows if his melanoma has been kept away from these treatments or if it just wouldn't have come back regardless. Thats what makes it so hard to decide.

Mandi0280
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Mandi0280
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

My husband was on the ipi/interferon trial in 2012. He received the ipi and did very well on it the first dose. The 2nd dose made him very sick and landed him in the hospital with colitis for 7 days. His doctor took him off the treatment. After that he took interferon that also made him sick for the whole month that he took the high dose infusions. I would not change the fact that he took either of these. He had a CT scan Friday that we are still wating to hear results from. IF it is clear he will be 2 years 5 months NED. No treatment you ever take will come with no side effects. I think the does of the IPI has been lowered since he took it. His two treatments is not acording to his doctor equivilent to 4 treatments. This medicine could still be active in his body and keeping his cancer away. You have to do what is best for you but i wanted to give you our story. Good luck making your decision as it is very different for everybody!

Mandi0280
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

jenny22
                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Hello TerraO-

I know this is an older post, but was wondering how you are…Did you ultimatley strt the IPI?

I hope you are feeling well, and just out lving your life.

If you do still frequent this board, please let us know how you are doing.

TKs and best,

jenny

Adkellett25
                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Curious as to how other melanoma patients are doing. I was diagnosed in 2009 with stage 3b malignant melanoma at age 32. I chose wide excision surgery and had 19 lymph nodes removed as 4 were microscopically positive. I also underwent the only FDA approved treatment Interferon Alpha 2a for 1 year. I felt like I had the flu the whole time, but I am proud to report that 6 years later I have had no recurrence! Anyone else had this success and/or can provide any insight on risk of recurrence now that I am 6 years out and religiously see my doctors for routine tests, scans, blood work, etc?
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Adkellett25
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Curious as to how other melanoma patients are doing. I was diagnosed in 2009 with stage 3b malignant melanoma at age 32. I chose wide excision surgery and had 19 lymph nodes removed as 4 were microscopically positive. I also underwent the only FDA approved treatment Interferon Alpha 2a for 1 year. I felt like I had the flu the whole time, but I am proud to report that 6 years later I have had no recurrence! Anyone else had this success and/or can provide any insight on risk of recurrence now that I am 6 years out and religiously see my doctors for routine tests, scans, blood work, etc?
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Adkellett25
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  jenny22
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Hello TerraO-

I know this is an older post, but was wondering how you are…Did you ultimatley strt the IPI?

TKs and best,

jenny

jenny22
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Hello TerraO-

TKs and best,

jenny

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics