The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 3!!!

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 3!!!

Participant

What treatments are you all doing for stage 3 ? I've had a friend that was recently diagnosed . Any advice would be great :))

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Socks
        Participant

Stage 3c atm, and I am personally doing "wait and watch" at this point. There's only one trial near me that I qualify for and it's double-blind ipi vs. interferon. I really, really, REALLY do not want to take interferon (and my oncologist agrees that it's not the best option for me). After the SNB and the CLND, they've scanned me head to toe and found no evidence of disease anywhere, so radiation and chemo are kind of pointless for me. I go for my first round of follow-up scans on July 11. Three months after that, I'll see my dermatologist; three months after THAT, I'll go back to my oncologist, and so on and so forth.

The problem is there's no one right treatment for Stage 3 melanoma. In addition to the varying …degrees, I guess (3a, b, and c), there's the fact that everyone's situation and body are different. My oncologist has told me that I am "technically" Stage 3c, but that my prognosis is much better than that would normally indicate, given my low mitotic rate and the lack of ulceration or satellite lesions. With my being otherwise NED, this is what I, my husband, and my oncologist all thought would be the best option.

Good luck to your friend, though! 🙂

Socks
          Participant

Stage 3c atm, and I am personally doing "wait and watch" at this point. There's only one trial near me that I qualify for and it's double-blind ipi vs. interferon. I really, really, REALLY do not want to take interferon (and my oncologist agrees that it's not the best option for me). After the SNB and the CLND, they've scanned me head to toe and found no evidence of disease anywhere, so radiation and chemo are kind of pointless for me. I go for my first round of follow-up scans on July 11. Three months after that, I'll see my dermatologist; three months after THAT, I'll go back to my oncologist, and so on and so forth.

The problem is there's no one right treatment for Stage 3 melanoma. In addition to the varying …degrees, I guess (3a, b, and c), there's the fact that everyone's situation and body are different. My oncologist has told me that I am "technically" Stage 3c, but that my prognosis is much better than that would normally indicate, given my low mitotic rate and the lack of ulceration or satellite lesions. With my being otherwise NED, this is what I, my husband, and my oncologist all thought would be the best option.

Socks
            Participant

Linny
              Participant

Unfortunately there aren't many FDA approved treatments for Stage III melanoma.

I'm Stage III and was offered Interferon, "Observation only", or clinical trial.

Chances are your friend will be offered something similar, unless he/she is Stage IIIc unresectable (means the melanoma tumor can't be removed by surgery). People with Stage IIIc disease in that situation would be offered treatments that are available to those at Stage IV.

Here's my take on the options:

Interferon. Has some nasty side effects; you're on it for a year. So, basically you're giving up a year feeling like you have the flu. There's maybe a 5% chance that the melanoma will not return.

Observation Only. This consists of regularly scheduled visits with your oncologist in which a PET or CT scan (or both) are performed. If anything is spotted, then action will be taken. Statistically there wasn't a heck of a lot of difference between this and interferon.

Clinical Trial. This is an opportunity to try out a newer drug that has not yet been FDA-approved. For us at Stage III these trials are randomized so that some people receive the drug while others receive the placebo. Often the doctor will not even know into which control group you were randomized. The advantage here is that you get "Observation only" plus the potential of receiving the drug.

There was a trial finishing up now where Stage III patients were given Yervoy and the results were very promising. Yervoy (aka "Ipilimumab" or "Ipi") is normally given to Stage IV patients, but in this trial it was offered to Stage III patients. I don't know when it will be officially approved for Stage III. But when it is, it'll be a huge step in the right direction for us.

Linny
                Participant

I'm Stage III and was offered Interferon, "Observation only", or clinical trial.

Chances are your friend will be offered something similar, unless he/she is Stage IIIc unresectable (means the melanoma tumor can't be removed by surgery). People with Stage IIIc disease in that situation would be offered treatments that are available to those at Stage IV.

Interferon. Has some nasty side effects; you're on it for a year. So, basically you're giving up a year feeling like you have the flu. There's maybe a 5% chance that the melanoma will not return.

Observation Only. This consists of regularly scheduled visits with your oncologist in which a PET or CT scan (or both) are performed. If anything is spotted, then action will be taken. Statistically there wasn't a heck of a lot of difference between this and interferon.

Clinical Trial. This is an opportunity to try out a newer drug that has not yet been FDA-approved. For us at Stage III these trials are randomized so that some people receive the drug while others receive the placebo. Often the doctor will not even know into which control group you were randomized. The advantage here is that you get "Observation only" plus the potential of receiving the drug.

There was a trial finishing up now where Stage III patients were given Yervoy and the results were very promising. Yervoy (aka "Ipilimumab" or "Ipi") is normally given to Stage IV patients, but in this trial it was offered to Stage III patients. I don't know when it will be officially approved for Stage III. But when it is, it'll be a huge step in the right direction for us.

Linny
                  Participant

Rod
                    Participant

I was basically in the4 same position with this being my second go around I chose the yervoy/interferon trial .

I received the high dose Yervoy. I could only take 2 infusions before side effects caused me to be pulled from the trial.

Would I do it again? Yes. It's a tough choice that only you can make for yourself.

Rod
                      Participant

I was basically in the4 same position with this being my second go around I chose the yervoy/interferon trial .

I received the high dose Yervoy. I could only take 2 infusions before side effects caused me to be pulled from the trial.

Would I do it again? Yes. It's a tough choice that only you can make for yourself.

Rod
                        Participant

brittanyx
                          Participant

I'm 19 years old and i'm stage lll, and I will be doing interferon for a year, 5 times a week for the first month and the rest of the 11 months 2-3 times a week. Just keep being supportive and strong! Sending positive thoughts to your friend!

brittanyx
                            Participant

I'm 19 years old and i'm stage lll, and I will be doing interferon for a year, 5 times a week for the first month and the rest of the 11 months 2-3 times a week. Just keep being supportive and strong! Sending positive thoughts to your friend!

brittanyx
                              Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics