The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Son’s scans tomorrow

Forums General Melanoma Community Son’s scans tomorrow

Participant

Our son has his quarterly PET and CT scans tomorrow …. the first ones since his initial diagnosis and scans this past Fall. They are skipping the brain MRI this time. He is doing great – sailing through his third month of low-dose Interferon and having little/no side effects. He got straight A's at school this trimester and is currently taking Driver's Ed. 

Results on Wednesday. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers!

Our son has his quarterly PET and CT scans tomorrow …. the first ones since his initial diagnosis and scans this past Fall. They are skipping the brain MRI this time. He is doing great – sailing through his third month of low-dose Interferon and having little/no side effects. He got straight A's at school this trimester and is currently taking Driver's Ed. 

Results on Wednesday. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers!

Viewing 15 reply threads
    • Replies
        Laurie from maine
        Participant

I was hoping he was doing well with the low dose – thats great that he is doing well with it and getting good grades – quite a kid 🙂    Scans are always nerve wracking for the patient and must be hard for you as a parent.  Good luck and let us know he makes out.  Sending prayers your way.

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
          Participant

I was hoping he was doing well with the low dose – thats great that he is doing well with it and getting good grades – quite a kid 🙂    Scans are always nerve wracking for the patient and must be hard for you as a parent.  Good luck and let us know he makes out.  Sending prayers your way.

laurie from maine

BethA in VA
            Participant

Watch out world…drivers ed.  Thats almost as stressful as scans!!  What a strong kid.  It is so good to hear he is doing so well in everything he does.  Good luck tomorrow.  I will keep him and you in my prayers.  Beth 3/B 

BethA in VA
              Participant

Watch out world…drivers ed.  Thats almost as stressful as scans!!  What a strong kid.  It is so good to hear he is doing so well in everything he does.  Good luck tomorrow.  I will keep him and you in my prayers.  Beth 3/B 

MRFUser2011
                Participant

Sending out good thoughts for your son's results.  He sounds like a remarkable young man.  I know what it is like to wait for my own scans and cannot imagine what it would be like waiting for them for my son.  Hang in there.

Blessings, Shari

MRFUser2011
                  Participant

Sending out good thoughts for your son's results.  He sounds like a remarkable young man.  I know what it is like to wait for my own scans and cannot imagine what it would be like waiting for them for my son.  Hang in there.

Blessings, Shari

James from Sydney
                    Participant

Great to hear he is handling the treatment and doing so well with his studies, you must be so proud of him, he sounds like a remarkable young man.

Our best wishes for continued NED

James

James from Sydney
                      Participant

Great to hear he is handling the treatment and doing so well with his studies, you must be so proud of him, he sounds like a remarkable young man.

Our best wishes for continued NED

James

akls
                        Participant

Your son and family are in my prayers.  I'm so glad he is doing well with the interferon.  I can't imagine doing everything he is doing while being on it.  I had to do all I could to drag myself to work on the low dose! 

Praying his scans go well.

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
                          Participant

Your son and family are in my prayers.  I'm so glad he is doing well with the interferon.  I can't imagine doing everything he is doing while being on it.  I had to do all I could to drag myself to work on the low dose! 

Praying his scans go well.

Amy S. in Michigan

What a little CHAMP your son is!  He's dealing with all this 100 times better than any adult Ive met.  He's in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow…  I believe in him and his positive energy and love of life, He'll beat this if anyone can. xoxo

What a little CHAMP your son is!  He's dealing with all this 100 times better than any adult Ive met.  He's in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow…  I believe in him and his positive energy and love of life, He'll beat this if anyone can. xoxo

AS123
                            Participant
                              Wow- he is amazing! He and your family will be in my prayers this week! Can’t wait for you to share news of clear scans.
                                Vermont_Donna
                                Participant

Hi,

I am hoping and praying for clear scans! Glad to hear that he is doing well with the interferon, month 3! Way to go young man!!! Are you as a family receiving any formalized supports ie counseling?? Not saying that you need it but it could be beneficial as adolescence can be a difficult period and then you add in a serious illness ie melanoma. I worked for 10 years as a medical social worker/mental health clinician in a pediatric practice and I worked with many families with a child with a serious diagnosis.

Keep the faith!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a,

currently stable after 4 infusions of ipi

Vermont_Donna
                                  Participant

Hi,

I am hoping and praying for clear scans! Glad to hear that he is doing well with the interferon, month 3! Way to go young man!!! Are you as a family receiving any formalized supports ie counseling?? Not saying that you need it but it could be beneficial as adolescence can be a difficult period and then you add in a serious illness ie melanoma. I worked for 10 years as a medical social worker/mental health clinician in a pediatric practice and I worked with many families with a child with a serious diagnosis.

Keep the faith!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a,

currently stable after 4 infusions of ipi

AS123
                                  Participant
                                    Wow- he is amazing! He and your family will be in my prayers this week! Can’t wait for you to share news of clear scans.
                                    Melanoma Mom
                                    Participant

I am home with a terrible cold so my husband brought our son to the scans this morning. The PET has been completed and the CT starts in an hour. I am a bit surprised at how quickly they performed the PET here at Maine Med …. it took hours for the prep and scan at Dana-Farber last Fall while it was much shorter this morning. I hope we made the right decision to have the scans done here in Maine. They are being sent to D-F for review and both the local and the D-F Oncologists assured us that the medical location of where the scans were performed was not an issue. I just don't know …. It might be beneficial to go back to D-F from now on, if for nothing more than our mental stability and belief that it is better. lol

To answer your question, our son has fought against any suggestion of counseling. He has poured himself into his schoolwork and plans for the future. Even though he is only a freshman, he has his dreams set on attending the US Navel Academy in Annapolis in 2014. He has applied to their summer Math and Science camp in June and we are awaiting word if he was accepted. He has also signed up for a three week 500-mile bike ride along the West coast in July. Throw in two (separate) weeks of Christian camp here in Maine and we will never see him! But this is what makes him happy and keeps him focused on his future so we support him. He is truly my hero!!!!

Here is a link to his caringbridge site. Feel free to sign the guestbook with your well wishes, but please – nothing overly "doom and gloom" nor any mention of anyone who has died. Thank you!

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/josiahhenderson

Vermont_Donna
                                        Participant

Hi,

I would not worry about the scans being done so quickly at Maine Medical; different facilities will have different machines possibly and perhaps slightly different protocols…….here's how mine usually go at Dartmouth Hitchcock, and of note, mine are a PET and CT scan TOGETHER…..both done at the same time….probably has to do with the kind of machine Maine Med has for the CT scan to be done separately.

Anyways, my "prep" consists of IV placement (until I had my port put in, so now it is port access) then I am taken to a darkened room, put in a recliner, covered with a warm blanket, receive the radioactive glucose, sit quietly for 45 -60 minutes (no talking, reading, chewing gum, etc, so I nap), then get up, allowed to pee, and then get scanned…head first for 30 minutes then feet first for 20 minutes….then I am done! Then I have labs, and then go have lunch, then to the melanoma oncology department and see my doctor and he has the results of ALL the labs and the entire PET/CT scan he pulls up on his computer and he looks at it with me. Of course the radiologist needs to read it and give a formal reading and then I get mailed a copy of the final report.

As far as counseling…that was the beauty of me working directly in the pediatric practice…I was "inhouse" and not introduced formally as a therapist but "someone else I want you all to see" and then I was always able to engage the patient and family on some level after that……I often met with them in the same exam room as the doctor or also met with them in my office down the hall. We call it "stealth mental health", the emphasis on support not on "you need counseling"…kids so often interrpret that as "I am crazy". The other thing is most kids DO NOT say "I want to see a counselor"…….but will actually go willing once appointments are set up. Again, certainly NOT saying you need this. I have just found it is very helpful for families to get that kind of support. Perhaps your pediatrician has this arrangement in his/her practice or quite possibly it is a service through your melanoma oncology department at Dana Farber.

Hope you feel better soon!

Vermont_Donna

Vermont_Donna
                                          Participant

Hi,

I would not worry about the scans being done so quickly at Maine Medical; different facilities will have different machines possibly and perhaps slightly different protocols…….here's how mine usually go at Dartmouth Hitchcock, and of note, mine are a PET and CT scan TOGETHER…..both done at the same time….probably has to do with the kind of machine Maine Med has for the CT scan to be done separately.

Anyways, my "prep" consists of IV placement (until I had my port put in, so now it is port access) then I am taken to a darkened room, put in a recliner, covered with a warm blanket, receive the radioactive glucose, sit quietly for 45 -60 minutes (no talking, reading, chewing gum, etc, so I nap), then get up, allowed to pee, and then get scanned…head first for 30 minutes then feet first for 20 minutes….then I am done! Then I have labs, and then go have lunch, then to the melanoma oncology department and see my doctor and he has the results of ALL the labs and the entire PET/CT scan he pulls up on his computer and he looks at it with me. Of course the radiologist needs to read it and give a formal reading and then I get mailed a copy of the final report.

As far as counseling…that was the beauty of me working directly in the pediatric practice…I was "inhouse" and not introduced formally as a therapist but "someone else I want you all to see" and then I was always able to engage the patient and family on some level after that……I often met with them in the same exam room as the doctor or also met with them in my office down the hall. We call it "stealth mental health", the emphasis on support not on "you need counseling"…kids so often interrpret that as "I am crazy". The other thing is most kids DO NOT say "I want to see a counselor"…….but will actually go willing once appointments are set up. Again, certainly NOT saying you need this. I have just found it is very helpful for families to get that kind of support. Perhaps your pediatrician has this arrangement in his/her practice or quite possibly it is a service through your melanoma oncology department at Dana Farber.

Hope you feel better soon!

Vermont_Donna

Melanoma Mom
                                          Participant

I am home with a terrible cold so my husband brought our son to the scans this morning. The PET has been completed and the CT starts in an hour. I am a bit surprised at how quickly they performed the PET here at Maine Med …. it took hours for the prep and scan at Dana-Farber last Fall while it was much shorter this morning. I hope we made the right decision to have the scans done here in Maine. They are being sent to D-F for review and both the local and the D-F Oncologists assured us that the medical location of where the scans were performed was not an issue. I just don't know …. It might be beneficial to go back to D-F from now on, if for nothing more than our mental stability and belief that it is better. lol

To answer your question, our son has fought against any suggestion of counseling. He has poured himself into his schoolwork and plans for the future. Even though he is only a freshman, he has his dreams set on attending the US Navel Academy in Annapolis in 2014. He has applied to their summer Math and Science camp in June and we are awaiting word if he was accepted. He has also signed up for a three week 500-mile bike ride along the West coast in July. Throw in two (separate) weeks of Christian camp here in Maine and we will never see him! But this is what makes him happy and keeps him focused on his future so we support him. He is truly my hero!!!!

Here is a link to his caringbridge site. Feel free to sign the guestbook with your well wishes, but please – nothing overly "doom and gloom" nor any mention of anyone who has died. Thank you!

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/josiahhenderson

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics