The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Social Security Disability

Forums General Melanoma Community Social Security Disability

Participant

Hi everyone.  I'm looking for some advice on SSDI.  There are some older treads here, but I don't really see anything since 2013, so I wanted to read about some more recent experiences.  My husband is stage 4 Melanoma and has been receiving treatment for 10 months.  His scans show improvement but the side effects from the Nivo are starting to catch up to him and he is finding it hard to continue working.  He is going to go ahead and take early retirement and also plans to sign up for SSDI.  I'm just not sure if we should have an attorney take care of it or do it ourselves.  From reading other post and researching other sources it seems Stage 4 Melanoma definitely qualifies.  So if that is a given, then it seems there would be no argument against by the SSA.  On one of the prior discussions on this site from 2011 a gentlemen who is a "Disability Analyst for the Disability Determination Services stated that it takes 5 months to get approved, and having an attorney changes nothing.

On the other hand, there are some post here where some have said they were turned down the first time.  One guy said he was turned down three times before he was approved, and maybe that's where the attorney comes in handy.

We aren't opposed to hiring an attorney, but what concerns me is if they charge 25% of any back pay, where is their incentive to rush it through.  The longer it takes, the more they get.   What am I missing?

I would love to hear from anyone who has been through this lately.  We're in Missouri, not sure if that matters.

Thanks!!

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        kathycmc
        Participant

When you say "early retirement" does that mean your husband has a pension or retirement payout?  He can have investments but SSDI won't be approved if he has other monthly income.  If he does apply for SSDI the best way to not be denied is to answer the questions "creatively".  You almost have to be completely dependent on another person for performing daily activities to qualify.  There are books and online tools available to help you fill out the application.

gmschmidt
            Participant

Yes, when he retires he will be collecting a monthly pension.  It was my understanding that doesn't matter.   A lot of people get part time jobs after they retire, but he wouldn't have that option since he's unable to work, which is where the disability comes in.  I do tax returns for a living and I have a couple of clients who  receive both a pension and Social Security Disability.  So I guess I'd better research that a little better.  Thanks

kst
            Participant

You will not need an attorney.  Stage 4 melanoma qualifies for the SSDI compassionate allowances list.  I believe the 5 month wait is correct and then 2 years after that date medicaire is available.  You should be able to print off your chart showing diagnosis and doctors contact info to bring with you to the social security office.  That should be all you need.

pinky2001
                Participant

Some hospitals have healthcare staff who will help you complete the paperwork and apply for SSDI, without a fee.  They will also follow-up on the status.  Check with your navigator or financial counselor.  

Suebette4467
                Participant

Hello, Call United way. They will help for free. 

adriana cooper
                  Participant

https://www.ssdrc.com/askaquestion97.html

Did SSDI with Adriana  about 2 1/2 years ago (no pension)> Took stage 4 diagnosis papers in to local office (recurrence lump removal) lung biopsy and scans to prove dates. As quite a bit of time had passed only had to wait a month or two and receive a lump sum for "back pay" as did her kids.

Go do it. The Government is here to help :>)

Rob

pookerpb
                      Participant

I dont come on this board much anymore as my husband passed away little over 2  years ago from melanoma. anyway I wanted to share my SSDI experience as I did it myself.

It was pretty easy to do online but did take a couple hours and had to contact a few doctors to get some scan results I had been missing. It was easy though as long as you have all the informatin. At that time Stage IV was an automatic approval and from the list I see it still is. I was very thorough in the application and it was approved in 7 days I think and husband received back pay from when he was unable to work which if I remember correctly was a month.

He was able to work some hours and still receive SSDI as you allowed to work up to a max dollar amount…I cant remember what it is but all I had to do was report it on a quick form once a month to SS office by email.

I was also tole to hire attorney but it would have been a waste of time and wasnt worth the money. I would have had to provide them the same informtion I had to get on my own and already had.

dont be afraid to do.

pookerpb
                        Participant

also wanted to add that it was very easy to check online the status of the application and what stage it was inexactly. We had approval within few days like I said.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics