The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Smoked Joints?

Forums General Melanoma Community Smoked Joints?

Participant

Now that I have every ones attention. I was wondering if there are any post pd-1 folks that have had joint pain/inflammation as a side effect of treatment? I started getting this after 4 infusions. I made it to 13 and came off treatment. Been about 8 weeks since last dose and still suffering… My question is how long it might take to subside? Is it gradual or quick? The prednisone takes the edge off so i can at least work.The off days are pretty brutal though.

Best, Paul

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jubes
        Participant

Hi paul

i am an expert on this one!!! My doctors said my autoimmune response was really rare but maybe it was just what you have and extreme. 

After 6 months on pembro with amazing response I started getting very stiff like arthritis. Especially in the mornings. I could not even breathe without pain. I could not sit up in bed for a couple of hours. Could not turn from side to side. Couldnt turn my head. As the day progressed the symptoms would ease. I was put on 25 mg prednisone a day and that helped but after 6 months the side effects of that were bad too. By now I had stopped pembro (in June) I think I made it to 17 doses  

what my doctors did was send me to a rheumatologist who scanned me very thoroughly (as he was doing a paper on me, but I paid of course)

after deciding from the scans that the proper diagnosis was ankylospondylitis, he put me on a cocktail of drugs including plaquenil, ketaprofen and another anti inflammatory and we gradually ( over 6 months) reduced the prednisone. It helped a bit but gradually the disease  overtook the treatment 

He was not even admitting at this point that this was a drug induced condition, so I emailed dr Weber in the USA to ask if infliximab might be a good solution. ( thanks to Celeste I had heard of it) I got a return email to say that in the circumstances it would be an appropriate treatment. 

So I bugged my onc and the rheum to let me have it. I started in April this year and even after the first treatment I felt much better. I had all 4 of the basic doses but only because the protocol here (Australia) will only let you continue with maintenance if you have done all 4 and my doctors wanted the option

after the initial good response I didn't notice it getting any better over the next three infliximab infusions

so my inflammation is just about gone, but then after 6 months treatment with infliximab the only tumour left in my lung started to grow again. As a precaution we did away with the infliximab maintenance, even though it had not been proven that this may be a contributing factor to the disease progression

and we resected the tumour 10 days ago and I am now cancer free!!

sorry for the long post, but to answer your question. This can continue for a very long time after you stop pembro and if I had my time again I would do a quick zap of infliximab since I just had one small tumour left. It probably depends on your level of pain, and I could not function so that was an easy decision for me.

anne-Louise 

Jubes
          Participant

Hi paul

i am an expert on this one!!! My doctors said my autoimmune response was really rare but maybe it was just what you have and extreme. 

After 6 months on pembro with amazing response I started getting very stiff like arthritis. Especially in the mornings. I could not even breathe without pain. I could not sit up in bed for a couple of hours. Could not turn from side to side. Couldnt turn my head. As the day progressed the symptoms would ease. I was put on 25 mg prednisone a day and that helped but after 6 months the side effects of that were bad too. By now I had stopped pembro (in June) I think I made it to 17 doses  

what my doctors did was send me to a rheumatologist who scanned me very thoroughly (as he was doing a paper on me, but I paid of course)

after deciding from the scans that the proper diagnosis was ankylospondylitis, he put me on a cocktail of drugs including plaquenil, ketaprofen and another anti inflammatory and we gradually ( over 6 months) reduced the prednisone. It helped a bit but gradually the disease  overtook the treatment 

He was not even admitting at this point that this was a drug induced condition, so I emailed dr Weber in the USA to ask if infliximab might be a good solution. ( thanks to Celeste I had heard of it) I got a return email to say that in the circumstances it would be an appropriate treatment. 

So I bugged my onc and the rheum to let me have it. I started in April this year and even after the first treatment I felt much better. I had all 4 of the basic doses but only because the protocol here (Australia) will only let you continue with maintenance if you have done all 4 and my doctors wanted the option

after the initial good response I didn't notice it getting any better over the next three infliximab infusions

so my inflammation is just about gone, but then after 6 months treatment with infliximab the only tumour left in my lung started to grow again. As a precaution we did away with the infliximab maintenance, even though it had not been proven that this may be a contributing factor to the disease progression

sorry for the long post, but to answer your question. This can continue for a very long time after you stop pembro and if I had my time again I would do a quick zap of infliximab since I just had one small tumour left. It probably depends on your level of pain, and I could not function so that was an easy decision for me.

anne-Louise 

Casitas1
              Participant

Anne-Louise, Thank you for your reply. I am so glad you had a successful surgery and are disease free!!!

Congratulations!

Best, Paul

Casitas1
                Participant

Anne-Louise, Thank you for your reply. I am so glad you had a successful surgery and are disease free!!!

Congratulations!

Best, Paul

Casitas1
                  Participant

Congratulations!

Best, Paul

Jubes
                  Participant

Hi paul

anne-Louise 

cancersnewnormal
                    Participant

Hi Paul…. Yes, I've had the same problems. However, mine took far longer to develop. I was on Pembro for 29 rounds, then had to stop due to increasing muscle/joint pain and pancreatitis. The pembro following the Yervoy increased the trouble with my thyroid as well. Increasing a dose of synthroid is an "easy" decision, but dealing with the joint pain and inflammation is a little harder to do. Like you, I am hoping that it is a temporary response, and that my immune system will eventually balance itself out once again, yet still maintain control of the melanoma. The joint pain and muscle aches began in my neck and legs, eventually making it's way into my shoulder, elbow, knee, and fingers…. all on my right side only. It started around May sometime. I've been tested for RA… it's not that. I've been tested for Lupus, which although showing positive, I was told that it is either very minor, or may even be a "false positive" that my rheumatologist was not terribly concerned with. Soooooo… at this point, I am on a combo of Naproxen and Suflasalazine to control swelling. My last dose of Pembro was July 5 and the joints are still swelling…. but with the meds, I am able to function at about 85-90% of my normal level. Docs are keeping tabs on anemia (which can happen with inflammation as well as gastro issues caused by the NSAID) and organ function. It's one thing to have joint inflammation, but when the heart and/or other organs get attacked by your own immune system, things need to be slowed down! 

Edema massage, heat packs, stretching, and mild to moderate exercise all seem to help loosen things up. It's been tough to find the "right amount" of movement though, versus creating more of a problem with overuse of the joints. But hey… California is set to become a "recreational use" state, and I have family in Colorado… so if all goes to hell in a handbasket and things get worse… I like brownies! LOL!  ; )  Kidding!

Casitas1
                        Participant
                          Nicki, thank you for your response. Yeah, Doc said it would be a while before effects of Pembro wear off. Been on CBD oils since day before first infusion of Pembro. I was able to put it directly on some exposed tumor in mouth. I had such a quick response to treatment that Dr. said keep using it! Definitely helped with pain and appetite. As far as disease who knows! Best, Paul
                          Casitas1
                          Participant
                            Nicki, thank you for your response. Yeah, Doc said it would be a while before effects of Pembro wear off. Been on CBD oils since day before first infusion of Pembro. I was able to put it directly on some exposed tumor in mouth. I had such a quick response to treatment that Dr. said keep using it! Definitely helped with pain and appetite. As far as disease who knows! Best, Paul
                            Casitas1
                            Participant
                            cancersnewnormal
                            Participant

Hi Paul…. Yes, I've had the same problems. However, mine took far longer to develop. I was on Pembro for 29 rounds, then had to stop due to increasing muscle/joint pain and pancreatitis. The pembro following the Yervoy increased the trouble with my thyroid as well. Increasing a dose of synthroid is an "easy" decision, but dealing with the joint pain and inflammation is a little harder to do. Like you, I am hoping that it is a temporary response, and that my immune system will eventually balance itself out once again, yet still maintain control of the melanoma. The joint pain and muscle aches began in my neck and legs, eventually making it's way into my shoulder, elbow, knee, and fingers…. all on my right side only. It started around May sometime. I've been tested for RA… it's not that. I've been tested for Lupus, which although showing positive, I was told that it is either very minor, or may even be a "false positive" that my rheumatologist was not terribly concerned with. Soooooo… at this point, I am on a combo of Naproxen and Suflasalazine to control swelling. My last dose of Pembro was July 5 and the joints are still swelling…. but with the meds, I am able to function at about 85-90% of my normal level. Docs are keeping tabs on anemia (which can happen with inflammation as well as gastro issues caused by the NSAID) and organ function. It's one thing to have joint inflammation, but when the heart and/or other organs get attacked by your own immune system, things need to be slowed down! 

Edema massage, heat packs, stretching, and mild to moderate exercise all seem to help loosen things up. It's been tough to find the "right amount" of movement though, versus creating more of a problem with overuse of the joints. But hey… California is set to become a "recreational use" state, and I have family in Colorado… so if all goes to hell in a handbasket and things get worse… I like brownies! LOL!  ; )  Kidding!

cancersnewnormal
                              Participant

debwray
                                Participant

Hi Paul,

This might be of interest

http://rheumatologywinterclinicalsymposium.com/2017/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/RWCS-ANTIPD1-IL6arthritis-1.pdf

Did a lot of reading when I was on a pembro v placebo trial and thought I had synovitis problems – but turned out it was placebo and probs were due to infection in an old surgical scar – but still this might be of interest and the supression route seemed to work with the treatment.

Good luck

Deb

debwray
                                  Participant

Hi Paul,

http://rheumatologywinterclinicalsymposium.com/2017/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/RWCS-ANTIPD1-IL6arthritis-1.pdf

Did a lot of reading when I was on a pembro v placebo trial and thought I had synovitis problems – but turned out it was placebo and probs were due to infection in an old surgical scar – but still this might be of interest and the supression route seemed to work with the treatment.

Good luck

Deb

cancersnewnormal
                                      Participant

Deb,

Thanks for the link! I like that they are looking to target very specific pathways versus general immunosuppression in order to avoid potential interference with the immunotheraputic drugs. This is a very interesting area to keep an eye on. I wonder if any follow up will be reported at the upcoming symposium, or in discussions within oncology circles. 

cancersnewnormal
                                        Participant

Deb,

Thanks for the link! I like that they are looking to target very specific pathways versus general immunosuppression in order to avoid potential interference with the immunotheraputic drugs. This is a very interesting area to keep an eye on. I wonder if any follow up will be reported at the upcoming symposium, or in discussions within oncology circles. 

cancersnewnormal
                                          Participant

Deb,

debwray
                                          Participant

Hi Paul,

Good luck

Deb

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics