The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

SLNB

Participant

Hello everyone

well it's a week before my WIde excisions and SLNB…  I don't do well with  pain and been told from a few it's hurts, it's burns or it's nothing…    So  I am curious from you guys that had it, what was it like?  And what will I expect?? 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        momof4boys
        Participant
          I had my wle on right leg and they went all the way to muscle. The stuff nuclear medicine injects to find the sentinel node hurts like hell. It doesn’t last for too long but hurts like crazy at first. I don’t remember the slnb being too bad. It’s about an inch or two long incision. What are you having it done on?
          momof4boys
          Participant
            I had my wle on right leg and they went all the way to muscle. The stuff nuclear medicine injects to find the sentinel node hurts like hell. It doesn’t last for too long but hurts like crazy at first. I don’t remember the slnb being too bad. It’s about an inch or two long incision. What are you having it done on?
              Millykamp
              Participant

My WLE will be done on my rib side toward middle of my back..  my back. It kinda in the middle.  I am not worry about the surgery part I know I will be put under. I am really worry about the dye injection..  When I asked the doc he said yes it will hurt and burn I ask how long he said about 30 min for the dye.. So does that mean it's 30 min of pain or does it take 30 min for the dye to run it course…  The whole thing they said will take 2 hours. And the. I go off to surgery. 

Millykamp
                Participant

My WLE will be done on my rib side toward middle of my back..  my back. It kinda in the middle.  I am not worry about the surgery part I know I will be put under. I am really worry about the dye injection..  When I asked the doc he said yes it will hurt and burn I ask how long he said about 30 min for the dye.. So does that mean it's 30 min of pain or does it take 30 min for the dye to run it course…  The whole thing they said will take 2 hours. And the. I go off to surgery. 

Millykamp
                  Participant

ET-SF
                    Participant

I just asked ET.  She said the injection stung  just a bit — not a whole lot.  The problem was that it didn't work.  There was some swelling fom the initial excision, so the radio-tracer didn't migrate as it was supposed to.  The surgeon finally had to inject blue dye, which DID hurt (bigger syringe).  But it worked.

The SNLB and WAE weren't bad at all.  Mild pain for 2-3 days.  Pain meds for 36 hrs, until she quit. Some ibuprofen after that..

ET-SF
                      Participant

I just asked ET.  She said the injection stung  just a bit — not a whole lot.  The problem was that it didn't work.  There was some swelling fom the initial excision, so the radio-tracer didn't migrate as it was supposed to.  The surgeon finally had to inject blue dye, which DID hurt (bigger syringe).  But it worked.

The SNLB and WAE weren't bad at all.  Mild pain for 2-3 days.  Pain meds for 36 hrs, until she quit. Some ibuprofen after that..

ET-SF
                        Participant

momof4boys
                        Participant
                          stars
                          Participant

HI Melissa – I can't help you with your question, but pain management is so good these days I can't imagine it would be 30 min of pain. I've been thinking of you, hope you are holding up ok. Good luck with the SLNB/WLE.

PS I had only a few days pain after WLE, then discomfort for a few days, then barely noticable.

Stars

stars
                            Participant

HI Melissa – I can't help you with your question, but pain management is so good these days I can't imagine it would be 30 min of pain. I've been thinking of you, hope you are holding up ok. Good luck with the SLNB/WLE.

PS I had only a few days pain after WLE, then discomfort for a few days, then barely noticable.

Stars

stars
                              Participant

Stars

mkirkland
                                Participant

Hi – it's been about 6 weeks since my wle and SLNB. The nuclear meds that they inject does hurt but it doesn't last very long. My wle actually went really well. I didn't have much pain or soreness at all. I do have a seroma from the lymph node being removed. I am not sure if I did too much to fast or if it's just common. It bruised and was very sore for a few weeks. And still bothers me now but not too bad! Good luck and hope u get great results! 

mkirkland
                                  Participant

Hi – it's been about 6 weeks since my wle and SLNB. The nuclear meds that they inject does hurt but it doesn't last very long. My wle actually went really well. I didn't have much pain or soreness at all. I do have a seroma from the lymph node being removed. I am not sure if I did too much to fast or if it's just common. It bruised and was very sore for a few weeks. And still bothers me now but not too bad! Good luck and hope u get great results! 

mkirkland
                                    Participant

Never Gonna Stop
                                      Participant

Hi Melissa,

I'm guessing you might have had your procedure by now, but just in case, here's my experience.

The lymph node study is pretty painful. They inject the tracer dye intradermally (from my recollection) and not subcutaneously, and it's that stretching of the skin in the region that is painful. The pain only lasts about 10-15 seconds per injection, and the number of injections you get depends on the size of your primary tumor. I had 4 injections, but I know someone with a wider tumor that had 6. It's like a bee sting that lasts for 15 seconds or so. The procedure could take 30-60 minutes as they wait for the dye to travel to the sentinel node, but the pain is shortlived!

My WLE recovery wasn't terrible, but I was on crutches for a bit since it was on the back of my left calf and they didn't want me to bear weight for a while.

I think the recovery from the sentinel biopsy depends. In my case, my single sentinel node was very superficial. It did not bother me at all. The same person I referenced above had 3 sentinel nodes removed, and one was substantially deeper than the others. She was pretty sore from that, so it did bother her some. I wish you the best of luck!

Never Gonna Stop
                                        Participant

Hi Melissa,

I'm guessing you might have had your procedure by now, but just in case, here's my experience.

The lymph node study is pretty painful. They inject the tracer dye intradermally (from my recollection) and not subcutaneously, and it's that stretching of the skin in the region that is painful. The pain only lasts about 10-15 seconds per injection, and the number of injections you get depends on the size of your primary tumor. I had 4 injections, but I know someone with a wider tumor that had 6. It's like a bee sting that lasts for 15 seconds or so. The procedure could take 30-60 minutes as they wait for the dye to travel to the sentinel node, but the pain is shortlived!

My WLE recovery wasn't terrible, but I was on crutches for a bit since it was on the back of my left calf and they didn't want me to bear weight for a while.

I think the recovery from the sentinel biopsy depends. In my case, my single sentinel node was very superficial. It did not bother me at all. The same person I referenced above had 3 sentinel nodes removed, and one was substantially deeper than the others. She was pretty sore from that, so it did bother her some. I wish you the best of luck!

Never Gonna Stop
                                          Participant

Hi Melissa,

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics