The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sleep

Participant

Few would doubt that high quality sleep of sufficient duration is essential for good
      health. As the amount of sleep that one needs varies from person to person, it is
      difficult to say what the optimum amount is for each individual. It seems that most people
      need between 6 and 8 hours, but a small number of individuals are apparently happy with
      just a few hours per night.

If we are sleep deprived for an extended period of time, our physical and mental sense of

Few would doubt that high quality sleep of sufficient duration is essential for good
      health. As the amount of sleep that one needs varies from person to person, it is
      difficult to say what the optimum amount is for each individual. It seems that most people
      need between 6 and 8 hours, but a small number of individuals are apparently happy with
      just a few hours per night.

If we are sleep deprived for an extended period of time, our physical and mental sense of
      wellbeing will tend to suffer. Sleep becomes even more important when one is trying to
      deal with any serious illness such as melanoma.

Although there are many types of sleeping pills that a doctor can prescribe, I feel that
      it is best to avoid these medications if possible.

Many people seem to have very active brains that are unable to relax, because there
      "always seems to be something happening". If this is a problem, then things like very
      gentle exercise and meditation can help.

Good nutrition is far more important than many people realise. Foods that contain high
      levels of vitamin B and essential fatty acids seem to help when one is feeling stressed or
      anxious.

Here is a site that has a lot of info on this topic:
      http://www.helpguide.org/life/sleep_tips.htm

I look forward to reading your comments on all this.

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Lisa13
        Participant

Hi Frank,

Melatonin is good for this as it puts you in a deep REM sleep. It's also one of those natural supplements that people have used for melanoma.

I agree that sleep is very important – it helps your body make new blood cells and we all need more of those.

Thanks for sharing the information.

Lisa

Vermont_Donna
            Participant

Hi Frank,

I like that you posted this topic. Sleep IS very important to good health and so hard to truly commit to in this busy life we lead and with being diagnosed with melanoma (or any chronic or serious health problem).

For me, I take benedryl before bedtime if I feel keyed up or unable to sleep….that helps me quite a bit. Since my melanoma diagnosis I have had an increase in my anxiety so have had a prescription for lorezepam that I sometimes take too.

I do eat a healthy diet, and take a multi vitamin, along with other prescribed medications. I also dont fall asleep watching tv, and I read a few chapters in whatever book I am reading and this helps to quiet my mind as well.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, now NED due to Ipi

Vermont_Donna
              Participant

Hi Frank,

I like that you posted this topic. Sleep IS very important to good health and so hard to truly commit to in this busy life we lead and with being diagnosed with melanoma (or any chronic or serious health problem).

For me, I take benedryl before bedtime if I feel keyed up or unable to sleep….that helps me quite a bit. Since my melanoma diagnosis I have had an increase in my anxiety so have had a prescription for lorezepam that I sometimes take too.

I do eat a healthy diet, and take a multi vitamin, along with other prescribed medications. I also dont fall asleep watching tv, and I read a few chapters in whatever book I am reading and this helps to quiet my mind as well.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, now NED due to Ipi

Lisa13
              Participant

Hi Frank,

Melatonin is good for this as it puts you in a deep REM sleep. It's also one of those natural supplements that people have used for melanoma.

I agree that sleep is very important – it helps your body make new blood cells and we all need more of those.

Thanks for sharing the information.

Lisa

nicoli
                Participant

Just a comment. Vita B gives me more energy and is great when taken early in the day. If I take it after mid afternoon, it actually causes me sleep problems. (I take EmergeC with Vita B so that may make a difference.)

I think it very important to watch your body carefully and adjust vitamins, etc accordingly.

Nicki, Stage 3b

nicoli
                  Participant

Just a comment. Vita B gives me more energy and is great when taken early in the day. If I take it after mid afternoon, it actually causes me sleep problems. (I take EmergeC with Vita B so that may make a difference.)

I think it very important to watch your body carefully and adjust vitamins, etc accordingly.

Nicki, Stage 3b

nickmac56
                    Participant

Hot yoga in the early evening helps me a lot – I always sleep better those nights.

Spending the last 6 nights on a recliner in ICU while my wife is being treated has the exact oposite effect. I am running on fumes…

nickmac56
                      Participant

Hot yoga in the early evening helps me a lot – I always sleep better those nights.

Spending the last 6 nights on a recliner in ICU while my wife is being treated has the exact oposite effect. I am running on fumes…

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics