The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Shingles Vaccine

Forums General Melanoma Community Shingles Vaccine

Participant

I have heard only brief blurbs about a shingles preventative which is not a live virus and suitable for cancer patients.  First of all are we forever to stay away from all live virus vaccinations including flu shots, or can we use them again if we remain NED for a period (5, 10 , ? years).  What is known about this alternative shingles med.  Is it effective, proven, worthwhile?

I have heard only brief blurbs about a shingles preventative which is not a live virus and suitable for cancer patients.  First of all are we forever to stay away from all live virus vaccinations including flu shots, or can we use them again if we remain NED for a period (5, 10 , ? years).  What is known about this alternative shingles med.  Is it effective, proven, worthwhile?

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        ivanmoe
        Participant

I'd be really interested in learning more about this, as I was considering the shingles vaccine before recently being upgraded to stage III. Thoughts?

ivanmoe
          Participant

I'd be really interested in learning more about this, as I was considering the shingles vaccine before recently being upgraded to stage III. Thoughts?

ivanmoe
            Participant

Charlie S
              Participant

It strikes me that there are very few, if any, one size fits all answers when it comes to melanoma and the introduction of outside forces (vaccines).

What follows is meant to serve as a discussion, not a recommendation; but discussions are how I work problems.

If one has had surgery to remove lymph nodes; the immune system has been altered, that is a physiological scientific fact.

If one has had immunotherapy following a diagnosis of metastatic melanoma,  the immune system may have been altered in two ways: one from the cancer itself and two by the treatments  Depending on the immunotherapy, some of that alteration may be temporary, and some may be permantely changed..  How do we know which?

As patients,we don't; and I think it is fair to say that prevailing science, in the long term, does not either.  This is not to say I fault advances in cancer treatments, but the long term effects of immune system alterations due to the introduction of either cancer,  surgeries or adjuvant treatments is still very much an unknown.

Again, this is meant to serve as a discussion, so forgive me if it is long; but I can offer an anecdote.  My first recurrence from 1987 melanoma  was in 1996.  In 1994, as a 43 year old , I contracted Chickenpox……..it was awful and required hospitalization due to being an adult with an adolescent disease.  

In 1997, midway through Interferon, I contracted shingles.  In hindsight, Chickenpox was a cakewalk compated to shingles,

It was then that my surgical Onc and I had our first discussion about immune system changes.  I'd been cut up like the Christmas Turkey in 1987 during lymph node chain removal, again in 1996 and caught chickenpox in between.  Was chickenpox the trigger for my recurrence?  Who knows, but to me, a pattern was emerging.

My immune system was altered in 1987, 1994, 1996, 1997.  Since then it has been altered many more times by both surgery and adjuvant melanoma approaches.

Would I intentionally enter the wild card of a shingles vaccine into my immune system for further alteration?  Not a chance..

This is a discussion to have with yourself; only giving you insight into my own decision making process.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                Participant

It strikes me that there are very few, if any, one size fits all answers when it comes to melanoma and the introduction of outside forces (vaccines).

What follows is meant to serve as a discussion, not a recommendation; but discussions are how I work problems.

If one has had surgery to remove lymph nodes; the immune system has been altered, that is a physiological scientific fact.

If one has had immunotherapy following a diagnosis of metastatic melanoma,  the immune system may have been altered in two ways: one from the cancer itself and two by the treatments  Depending on the immunotherapy, some of that alteration may be temporary, and some may be permantely changed..  How do we know which?

As patients,we don't; and I think it is fair to say that prevailing science, in the long term, does not either.  This is not to say I fault advances in cancer treatments, but the long term effects of immune system alterations due to the introduction of either cancer,  surgeries or adjuvant treatments is still very much an unknown.

Again, this is meant to serve as a discussion, so forgive me if it is long; but I can offer an anecdote.  My first recurrence from 1987 melanoma  was in 1996.  In 1994, as a 43 year old , I contracted Chickenpox……..it was awful and required hospitalization due to being an adult with an adolescent disease.  

In 1997, midway through Interferon, I contracted shingles.  In hindsight, Chickenpox was a cakewalk compated to shingles,

It was then that my surgical Onc and I had our first discussion about immune system changes.  I'd been cut up like the Christmas Turkey in 1987 during lymph node chain removal, again in 1996 and caught chickenpox in between.  Was chickenpox the trigger for my recurrence?  Who knows, but to me, a pattern was emerging.

My immune system was altered in 1987, 1994, 1996, 1997.  Since then it has been altered many more times by both surgery and adjuvant melanoma approaches.

Would I intentionally enter the wild card of a shingles vaccine into my immune system for further alteration?  Not a chance..

This is a discussion to have with yourself; only giving you insight into my own decision making process.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                  Participant

Cheers,

Charlie S

NYKaren
                      Participant
                        I am curious about the shingles vaccine as well and have been more so since reading that some participants in anti PD1 trial(s?) have developed shingles. Definitely a question for my onc next week.
                        Karen
                        NYKaren
                        Participant
                          I am curious about the shingles vaccine as well and have been more so since reading that some participants in anti PD1 trial(s?) have developed shingles. Definitely a question for my onc next week.
                          Karen
                          NYKaren
                          Participant
                            Karen
                            I am ready to fight this hydra headed monster with any manner of treatment my doctors recommend. I honestly feel good about this battle, stage IV, or not. But I run like hell from any other treatments, like flue shots, shingles inoculations, or other concoctions. Never had the flue until the shot, and that was pre-melanoma. Fool me once…etc.
                            I am ready to fight this hydra headed monster with any manner of treatment my doctors recommend. I honestly feel good about this battle, stage IV, or not. But I run like hell from any other treatments, like flue shots, shingles inoculations, or other concoctions. Never had the flue until the shot, and that was pre-melanoma. Fool me once…etc.
                          Harry in Fair Oaks
                          Participant

I don't know about shingles, but my oncologists (and I've had at least 15 of them including those from my 3 clinical trials over the years) always approved (even encouraged) my getting flu shots.  I guess that with my history of getting shot up with live melanoma cells and the stuff that gives tuberculosis to cows, a little bit of flu virus can't hurt!

But I will ask about the shingle vaccine when I visit the Angeles Clinic leter this month.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                            Participant

I don't know about shingles, but my oncologists (and I've had at least 15 of them including those from my 3 clinical trials over the years) always approved (even encouraged) my getting flu shots.  I guess that with my history of getting shot up with live melanoma cells and the stuff that gives tuberculosis to cows, a little bit of flu virus can't hurt!

But I will ask about the shingle vaccine when I visit the Angeles Clinic leter this month.

Best wishes,

Harry

NYKaren
                                Participant
                                  You just reminded me Harry that I got my flu shot this year at Sloan. I guess my onc was in favor. I’d better write it down to ask about the shingles vaccine
                                  NYKaren
                                  Participant
                                    You just reminded me Harry that I got my flu shot this year at Sloan. I guess my onc was in favor. I’d better write it down to ask about the shingles vaccine
                                    NYKaren
                                    Participant
                                    Harry in Fair Oaks
                                    Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

Janner
                                      Participant

I know nothing about any of this, except when I did a little research on the shingles vaccine recently, it wasn't recommended for anyone under 60 years old.  So if you aren't over 60 and answered this thread, it probably wouldn't apply to you anyway.  Now for those over 60 – I have no help about having the vaccine or not.

Janner
                                        Participant

I know nothing about any of this, except when I did a little research on the shingles vaccine recently, it wasn't recommended for anyone under 60 years old.  So if you aren't over 60 and answered this thread, it probably wouldn't apply to you anyway.  Now for those over 60 – I have no help about having the vaccine or not.

lou2
                                            Participant

Here is info on the shingles vaccine.  Don't know if it will answer questions about whether it would be suitable for melanoma patients.

http://tiny.cc/ruhfww

lou2
                                              Participant

Here is info on the shingles vaccine.  Don't know if it will answer questions about whether it would be suitable for melanoma patients.

lou2
                                                Participant

Janner
                                                Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics