The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sharing Peter’s 15 year survival from julieincanada

Forums General Melanoma Community Sharing Peter’s 15 year survival from julieincanada

Participant

Not sure if anyone remembers us .  I just wanted to pass along some good news and hope to those fighting the fight.  Peter was dx Stage 3 in 2001 and had 3 surgeries, a year of Interferon and radiation.  He has been NED since December 2001.  The radiation has left him with muscle contracture/ scarring etc in his upper back and he still takes gaba for neuropathy BUT he has beaten all the odds.  Don't give up!

Julie

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        DZnDef
        Participant

That's great news, Julie!  Thank you so much for sharing it with us.  It really does help to know that people have beaten this diseae.  I am very happy for you and Peter.

DZnDef
          Participant

That's great news, Julie!  Thank you so much for sharing it with us.  It really does help to know that people have beaten this diseae.  I am very happy for you and Peter.

DZnDef
            Participant

sister of patient
              Participant

Hi Julie – All good news is always great to read and I sincerely wish that Peter always remains NED. Can you tell me please whereabouts you're located and what hospital he attended for treatment?

Thanks.

Barb (we're in Ontario)

arborbnb
                  Participant

Hi Barb:  We are in Prince George, BC.  At the time of Peter's Stage 3 dx the BC Cancer Agency had no approved ( ie paid for) treatment for Stage 3 Melanoma.  We changed that with a lot of lobbying and had to pay for Peter's Interferon treatment.  The Interferon was administered her in Prince George and the radiation in Vancouver.  Things have changed a lot since then.  We have lost many fellow INF patients and it ;appears that approximately 25% of the population are "responders" to IFN and there is no way to know who is and who isn't.  Our daughter lives in Toronto and goes to the Cancer treatment center at Sunnybrooke ( non- melanoma issue).

arborbnb
                    Participant

Hi Barb:  We are in Prince George, BC.  At the time of Peter's Stage 3 dx the BC Cancer Agency had no approved ( ie paid for) treatment for Stage 3 Melanoma.  We changed that with a lot of lobbying and had to pay for Peter's Interferon treatment.  The Interferon was administered her in Prince George and the radiation in Vancouver.  Things have changed a lot since then.  We have lost many fellow INF patients and it ;appears that approximately 25% of the population are "responders" to IFN and there is no way to know who is and who isn't.  Our daughter lives in Toronto and goes to the Cancer treatment center at Sunnybrooke ( non- melanoma issue).

arborbnb
                      Participant

sister of patient
                      Participant

Hi Julie – All good news is always great to read and I sincerely wish that Peter always remains NED. Can you tell me please whereabouts you're located and what hospital he attended for treatment?

Thanks.

Barb (we're in Ontario)

sister of patient
                        Participant

Thanks.

Barb (we're in Ontario)

LaurieGayle
                          Participant

Thanks for sharing such good news! 

LaurieGayle
                            Participant

LaurieGayle
                              Participant

Jydnew
                                Participant

That is fantastic!  I hope you don't mind if I piggy-back on your good news…I come on here once a year or so, when I get a little reminder in my head of the fear of going through my husband's melanoma diagnosis, to see what's new in the field as far as treatments go, and when I saw your post right up at the top, I felt compelled to add his story to yours to hopefully keep others' hope up.

My husband is now 14 years NED after a stage 3A diagnosis in January 2002.  His treatment consisted of 2 surgeries – first was to remove the melanoma, and sentinal lymph nodes, and second was a complete lymph node removal after micrometastasis was found in the nodes.  He was 26 at the time of diagnosis – it was just a week after our honeymoon…  It was an incredibly fearful time for years, but we moved ahead and built our little family and keep hoping for continued health for all of us, and all of you who are enduring this terrible diagnosis.

Jydnew
                                  Participant

That is fantastic!  I hope you don't mind if I piggy-back on your good news…I come on here once a year or so, when I get a little reminder in my head of the fear of going through my husband's melanoma diagnosis, to see what's new in the field as far as treatments go, and when I saw your post right up at the top, I felt compelled to add his story to yours to hopefully keep others' hope up.

My husband is now 14 years NED after a stage 3A diagnosis in January 2002.  His treatment consisted of 2 surgeries – first was to remove the melanoma, and sentinal lymph nodes, and second was a complete lymph node removal after micrometastasis was found in the nodes.  He was 26 at the time of diagnosis – it was just a week after our honeymoon…  It was an incredibly fearful time for years, but we moved ahead and built our little family and keep hoping for continued health for all of us, and all of you who are enduring this terrible diagnosis.

Jydnew
                                    Participant

DebbieH
                                      Participant

I remember you and Peter, Julie – congratulations!  I don't check in much anymore but I was so happy to see this tonight. 

DebbieH, stage 3C, NED nearly 15 years, also after interferon

DebbieH
                                        Participant

I remember you and Peter, Julie – congratulations!  I don't check in much anymore but I was so happy to see this tonight. 

DebbieH
                                          Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics