The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sharing my experience at MD Anderson

Forums General Melanoma Community Sharing my experience at MD Anderson

Participant

Hi , everyone. I just returned from MD Anderson and wanted to share my experience. I met with Dr. Wen-Jen Hu, and liked her very much. It was such a good feeling to talk to someone so knowledgeable about melanoma. We are looking at a clinical trial starting in May for Anti-Pd 1, but I have to have a brain MRI first.My brain mets have to be stable.They were stable on my last petscan so we hope they still are.  Is there anyone out there that has had this treatment? I would really like to know your experience. The research i have read about it sounds very positive.

Hi , everyone. I just returned from MD Anderson and wanted to share my experience. I met with Dr. Wen-Jen Hu, and liked her very much. It was such a good feeling to talk to someone so knowledgeable about melanoma. We are looking at a clinical trial starting in May for Anti-Pd 1, but I have to have a brain MRI first.My brain mets have to be stable.They were stable on my last petscan so we hope they still are.  Is there anyone out there that has had this treatment? I would really like to know your experience. The research i have read about it sounds very positive.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        mbaelaporte
        Participant

Hey glad to hear you are inspired & feeling optimistic

hoping you hear from some being treated w / anti PD 1

I am just back from consent meetings, biopsy, brain MRI , labs & scans to qualify for Merck Pd1 trial & I think I made the team!?  Mine is a commuter scenario ; Tacoma, Wa to TheAngelesClinic ;  you go where you gotta go

anybody who might be able to chime in on helping w / clinical trial travel costs please chime in – hoping for response from needymeds.com

Hope May comes soon enough and all can fall into place for you! 

mbaelaporte
          Participant

I am just back from consent meetings, biopsy, brain MRI , labs & scans to qualify for Merck Pd1 trial & I think I made the team!?  Mine is a commuter scenario ; Tacoma, Wa to TheAngelesClinic ;  you go where you gotta go

anybody who might be able to chime in on helping w / clinical trial travel costs please chime in – hoping for response from needymeds.com

mbaelaporte
            Participant

Bubbles
              Participant

So glad you had a good experience at MD Anderson.  If you do a search on this forum (box on top right of your screen) and enter anti-PD1 or PD1 you will find many stories, comments and questions regarding same.  I and many others that comment occasionally are on anti-PD1 trials.  My blog tells the story of my past two years and three months on an anti-PD1 trial at Moffitt.  Let me know if you have questions I might be able to answer.  Wishing you the best. C

audgator
                  Participant

Ditto on what Bubbles said. I am in another arm of the same trial. I'm in the maintenance phase. I got a little concerned after my last check up, but cooler heads here talked me down. I and many others are doping fine, Best wishes.   Dan

audgator
                    Participant

Ditto on what Bubbles said. I am in another arm of the same trial. I'm in the maintenance phase. I got a little concerned after my last check up, but cooler heads here talked me down. I and many others are doping fine, Best wishes.   Dan

audgator
                      Participant

audgator
                        Participant

Uh, that is we are DOING fine, although…..???

Dan

audgator
                          Participant

Dan

Bubbles
                            Participant

I don't know, Dan!!!  Pretty sure we're doping!!!  Hee hee!  C

Bubbles
                              Participant

Bubbles
                                Participant

audgator
                                  Participant

Dan

5374brian
                                    Participant

Bubbles .. My wife has been treated at Moffitt since Dec. 18, 2012. She started IPI in Jan 2013. We started with Dr. Sondak and then refered to Dr. Kudchadkar. After the 12 weeks she just had her MRI and PET Scans. Not enough posititve response to the IPI so far. They have decided to do a WBR starting the 22nd for 10 days. The next plan Dr. K menetioned was a PD-1 treatment. I am glad to see that you have had a great response. Thanks for sharing your story. I started going back through your blog history also. I think it is wonderul. 

5374brian
                                      Participant

Bubbles .. My wife has been treated at Moffitt since Dec. 18, 2012. She started IPI in Jan 2013. We started with Dr. Sondak and then refered to Dr. Kudchadkar. After the 12 weeks she just had her MRI and PET Scans. Not enough posititve response to the IPI so far. They have decided to do a WBR starting the 22nd for 10 days. The next plan Dr. K menetioned was a PD-1 treatment. I am glad to see that you have had a great response. Thanks for sharing your story. I started going back through your blog history also. I think it is wonderul. 

Bubbles
                                        Participant

Thanks for your sweet comments. Sorry things are a bit tough for you and your wife just now.  Hang in there.  I know that "one more thing"  gets you almost to the breaking point sometimes.  As you can probably tell from my blog…I am followed by Dr. Weber…but all the docs there are very good at what they do.  Wishing you and your wife the very best!!!!  c

Bubbles
                                          Participant

Thanks for your sweet comments. Sorry things are a bit tough for you and your wife just now.  Hang in there.  I know that "one more thing"  gets you almost to the breaking point sometimes.  As you can probably tell from my blog…I am followed by Dr. Weber…but all the docs there are very good at what they do.  Wishing you and your wife the very best!!!!  c

Bubbles
                                            Participant

5374brian
                                              Participant

Bubbles
                                              Participant

So glad you had a good experience at MD Anderson.  If you do a search on this forum (box on top right of your screen) and enter anti-PD1 or PD1 you will find many stories, comments and questions regarding same.  I and many others that comment occasionally are on anti-PD1 trials.  My blog tells the story of my past two years and three months on an anti-PD1 trial at Moffitt.  Let me know if you have questions I might be able to answer.  Wishing you the best. C

Bubbles
                                                Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics